Delisted Free-Agents Target List

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably right Dave.

If it were me however, I'd definitely be looking for key position depth.

We got caught out this year in the last month and in the finals with no cover once Mason Cox went down. Ben Reid was typically injured, and we were forced to throw Roughead forward. We didn't have that luxury in the finals, so went in we no tall forwards apart from Mihocek who was out of his depth. Despite 2 close games, we kicked very few goals and that's what ultimately cost us.

If we were running out right now to play GWS in the prelim, and we had either Walker or Mitch Brown in the side, both would have made that team. Either as a forward, or alternatively as a defender to allow Roughead to stay forward.

Or there's always the other option of using Moore forward.

I think you can bank on injuries at Collingwood, so depth is as vital as anything. You don't need 44 A graders on your list. But having useful backups like a Josh Walker could be vital.

Obviously, we are pretty bullish about Cameron. But he has no exposed AFL form, and looks more a ruckman to me than a forward.

I just hope we don't make the same mistake in 2020 as we did in 2019 which was to back in the limited KPP stocks we had to get us through the season. When we needed them most, the cupboard was empty.

Could say what we have on our List Now and IF Fit Darcy Cameron probably plays in Reid's Position/Spot

But still need more Depth then just Cameron and Reid

I agree. I’m not sure but think the quality of this year’s delisted free agents is better than previous years. Would prefer one of the available talls over Reid as depth. Think we went early extending him for a year.

Guess we just being Loyal though doing it when we should not.

We can be too loyal to Players

Could say what we have on our List Now and IF Fit Darcy Cameron probably plays in Reid's Position/Spot

But still need more Depth then just Cameron and Reid
Signing Reid so quickly seems like a list management (club/footy dept) mistake.
He did show some signs of life this year, but after years of breaking down, does a hammy while recovering from a calf...
At the very least, he could've been made to wait while we saw who became available. We need more reliable, solid back ups that give us options for a long season.

I initially read that as Brander, and nearly threw my phone against the wall.

I don’t think we’ll be signing any DFAs this year, however.
Wish him well.

looks a nice back up to bob up in a game or so.

but fine VFL talent (SANF) is his level.

Sydney lost a lot of experience to retirement this year. They failed to stagger those retirements very well. They almost had no choice but to top up with some experienced senior players, Gray and Brand. It makes sense for them but is closer to desperation than clever list management.

Ben Reid has been a star player.
He has not lost his ability, nor has he suffered accelerated aging.
He has suffered a lot of injuries, with which the club is intimately acquainted.
He finished the season fit.
He is a competent tall forward, for those who do not want to see Cox play.
His kicking seems to have lost some penetration, but I am not sure of this. His role is different these days.
Where is the compelling argument for delisting him?

He has suffered a lot of injuries, with which the club is intimately acquainted.
His kicking seems to have lost some penetration, but I am not sure of this. His role is different these days.
He’s not good enough anymore and can’t stay on the park

If Reid presents by round one 100% fit with very good preseason form behind him I think he plays at CHF with Cox at FF and Mihocek as the third tall on a flank.
Really keen eyes next year on Wilson, Kelly & Cameron’s development & hopefully push for seniors.

Not being able to stay on the park is a big concern, but disagree with the idea that he isn't good enough anymore, he played very well this year, considering how interrupted his preperation was.

If Reid presents by round one 100% fit with very good preseason form behind him I think he plays at CHF with Cox at FF and Mihocek as the third tall on a flank.
Really keen eyes next year on Wilson, Kelly & Cameron’s development & hopefully push for seniors.
It's just become a really big 'if' with Reidy.
6 games in 2018 and 8 this year...

True, we can't plan around him as his fitness has to be viewed as a complete bonus, but are we likely to 6 or 8 at a decent level out of any of the DFA?
If we'd recruited a mature, flexible tall option, say Walker for instance, (instead of Cameron, or instead of keeping Lynch), it maybe wouldn't need to be just a choice of Reid or someone else. You could have the two different options

Of our few regular talls, Mihocek and Roughead has been very durable, but Moore, Dunn and Reid not so, while Cox is generally available even if not always that productive.

It's a pretty small group to rely on, given some have not been at all durable. In Reidy's case, he's hardly played in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

Now, if the likes of Wilson, Kelly and Keane quickly become viable options, great, but that seems a lot to ask for 2020.

It would just be nice to have some more reliable back up plans, don't you think?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, we can't plan around him as his fitness has to be viewed as a complete bonus, but are we likely to 6 or 8 at a decent level out of any of the DFA?
We might get only 6 to 8 games from a DFA but what we won't get is a player missing stretches of games through injury and then come into the side underdone all the time, at least the DFA will be fit and ready to go unlike Reid

If we'd recruited a mature, flexible tall option, say Walker for instance, (instead of Cameron, or instead of keeping Lynch), it maybe wouldn't need to be just a choice of Reid or someone else. You could have the two different options

Of our few regular talls, Mihocek and Rougheaf has been very durable, but Moore, Dunn and Reid not so, while Cox is generally available even if not always that productive.

It's a pretty small group to rely on, given some have not been at all durable. In Reidy's case, he's hardly played in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

Now, if the likes of Wilson, Kelly and Keane quickly become viable options, great, but that seems a lot to ask for 2020.

It would just be nice to have some more reliable back up plans, don't you think?

Walker looks North bound.

Signing Reid so quickly seems like a list management (club/footy dept) mistake.
He did show some signs of life this year, but after years of breaking down, does a hammy while recovering from a calf...
At the very least, he could've been made to wait while we saw who became available. We need more reliable, solid back ups that give us options for a long season.

Disagree on signing Reid. Ideally you don't want these depth types playing at all but Reid managed 8 games this year and showed he can fill a role. These Brown and Walker types won't offer any more than that.

Disagree on signing Reid. Ideally you don't want these depth types playing at all but Reid managed 8 games this year and showed he can fill a role. These Brown and Walker types won't offer any more than that.
I agree, not against giving Reid another year. I don't think he'd be in the initial Plan A, and match committee have to got to be assuming there'll be a dream injury run at some point!

**** mad if we don't get Bennell. I'd look at Brand for backup and possibly Kerr that be about it.

We’d be mad to take him, he’s a loose unit and he can’t last half a game of WAFL before his calf goes again. He’s had that many calf injuries I’d be surprised if he had any solid calf tissue left.

I'm still trying to understand the decision to keep Broomhead, Reid and Lynch on our list. I presume the logic with Reid and Lynch is that they can fill a role and have size on their side. Lack of tall KPP has cost us a flag over the last two years. It seems the club has settled on Reid and Lynch over any late draft pick big types. OK I get this, but I just can't see Reid staying fit for long enough. When was Reid ever fit when we really needed him? Not often. And as for Lynch, well, I've seen him take one great pack mark at training and he finished 3rd in the time trial. That resume doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. It seems a lot is being piled upon the shoulders of Cameron.

Whilst I'm on about our failings over the last two years, another fail was not playing DeGoey against GWS. I understand that we were saving him for the GF, but that blew up in our faces. Hubris in my book. I watched him closely on his final two training runs and in the final session he looked good to go. I will always consider the decision not to play him as a real blunder.

I'm still trying to understand the decision to keep Broomhead, Reid and Lynch on our list. I presume the logic with Reid and Lynch is that they can fill a role and have size on their side. Lack of tall KPP has cost us a flag over the last two years. It seems the club has settled on Reid and Lynch over any late draft pick big types. OK I get this, but I just can't see Reid staying fit for long enough. When was Reid ever fit when we really needed him? Not often. And as for Lynch, well, I've seen him take one great pack mark at training and he finished 3rd in the time trial. That resume doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. It seems a lot is being piled upon the shoulders of Cameron.

Whilst I'm on about our failings over the last two years, another fail was not playing DeGoey against GWS. I understand that we were saving him for the GF, but that blew up in our faces. Hubris in my book. I watched him closely on his final two training runs and in the final session he looked good to go. I will always consider the decision not to play him as a real blunder.
I think it was right not playing him. Looking like and being able to (play are two different things). We’ll never actually know. But same with what club did last year with Moore.

This year it was our third quarter fade out and having to come back deep into the last that killed us. Last year was a kick in it.

JDG blew up last game back after being primed for weeks.

Then we have the short term risk vs long term gains. JDG blows up again vs GWS or make GF and does there and he’s potentially out most of 2020. Back the boys that are fit to play to win.

GWS was heart & determination (lack of it until too late) was where we lost it. Not personnel.

Lynch = 21 so still a Baby for a Ruckman and has shown some good Flashes at VFL Level. Neem more then just Darcy Cameron to be Ruck Back-Up.

Broomhead = Guess they want to give a Fair Go after Injury and plus lives with Brody Grundy

Reid = Agree that he should of Been let go. Wrong Side of 30 and Very Injury Prone

You're first line is correct: in 2011 Ben Reid WAS a star player.
He HAS lost some of his ability (his kicking is shortened and far more wayward (not highly improbable considering his lower limbs are as tight as stretched monofilament)
He HAS suffered accelerated ageing (just check the hair! and the mobility)
He HAS suffered a lot of injuries but its not just the number, its the type and placement of these injuries (soft tissue, specifically calves "The Old man's injury") And YES the club knows....which makes the decision to keep him on even stranger (except that he's an emergency tall on very small wages)
He finished the season fit.....lol OLD players with dodgy calves and Hammies are always one minute away from their next 6-8 weeks on the sidelines (even Bucks had to succumb to it at some stage) Reidy has been cooked for some time now.
You're right, for those who don't like Cox as a tall option up front (of which I'm not one) then Reid and probably even Twiggy Dunne are options because those people are desperate for anyone to replace their whipping boy!
His kicking HAS lost penetration (and accuracy) but hey people only hang it on Cox for lacking the ability to kick more than 40m straight.
His role has changed....he is now "Break Glass in absolute terms of emergency"
Compelling argument for delisting a bloke who averages 2-4 games a year???
He's there for two reasons, he's tall and he's cheap. Same as Coxy actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back