Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all,
I'm being Gold Coast in our Dogs Mock Draft and these are the players i have pre-selected

Hope this follows your views

Connor Budarick
Matthew Conroy
Malcolm Roasas Jnr
Hewago Paul Oea
Fitzroy Greenwool
Josh Gore
Ashton Crossley

Those mentioned probably some of the best credentialed but I think the suns have already revealed their cards here

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone have any intel on Lauren Bella's younger brother William? He's in our academy and draft eligible in 2021 but after reading the paragraph below (from May this year) it's hard not to get excited about his prospects.
William Bella, brother of Suns AFLW star Lauren, dominated in the air and on the ground for the Suns academy. The big-bodied key position prospect possesses a bullocking presence which would put most men to shame. At 194cm and 100kg, Bella's booming goals from outside 50 left selectors no choice but to add him to the U16 QLD squad.

194cm and 100kg at 16! Are you kidding me!?!? There's a good chance he's not done growing either but I hope he stays under 200cm because he'll have no other choice than to become a ruckman should he grow beyond that and I believe he's dominating as a key forward right now.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Anyone have any intel on Lauren Bella's younger brother William? He's in our academy and draft eligible in 2021 but after reading the paragraph below (from May this year) it's hard not to get excited about his prospects.

194cm and 100kg at 16! Are you kidding me!?!? There's a good chance he's not done growing either but I hope he stays under 200cm because he'll have no other choice than to become a ruckman should he grow beyond that and I believe he's dominating as a key forward right now.

So after some reading on the AFL Draft central website regarding the u16 carnival this year we had a few good performers!

Austin Harris (Gold Coast Suns/Palm Beach Currumbin Lions)
175cm | 65kg | 30/04/2003
Defender/Outside Midfielder

Harris’ run and carry was fantastic for Queensland, making him a key contributor on his way to claiming his state’s MVP award (and named All Australian in the back pocket). Harris just always found a way to the ball, getting into good areas with a high work rate and pushing forward at every chance. He often finished his runs off with neat kicks and provided a touch of class when in possession.

Bodhi Uwland 183cm and 80kg - Suns Academy - Burleigh
- bigger ball winning midfielder, influential across the carnival

Will Bella 194cm and 100kg - Suns Academy - PBC
- kicked 3 goals in round 2, none in round 3 but presented well and

Jye Lockett 186cm and 83kg - Suns Academy - Ballarat??
- Bigger body but makes plays with the skill of a small player. Took a few marks and kicked at least one goal in each game.

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi all,
I'm being Gold Coast in our Dogs Mock Draft and these are the players i have pre-selected

Hope this follows your views

Connor Budarick
Matthew Conroy
Malcolm Roasas Jnr
Hewago Paul Oea
Fitzroy Greenwool
Josh Gore
Ashton Crossley
From what I hearing at this stage no other academy players will be selected and the remaining rookie spots will be for players demoted from the senior list. One player has a chance of being picked up by another club (I don’t know whom) but the Suns are unlikely to match any bid. Greenwool is probably best to play in Vic to further his development

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
From what I hearing at this stage no other academy players will be selected and the remaining rookie spots will be for players demoted from the senior list. One player has a chance of being picked up by another club (I don’t know whom) but the Suns are unlikely to match any bid. Greenwool is probably best to play in Vic to further his development
I think it would be a mistake not to take Ace if another club bids on him.
Really talented kid.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really talented kid.
Ace has an international scholarship - I don't think it's under Cat B. He will able to play only in NEAFL. Kall Burns mentioned him as an extra position besides 10+3 rookies. See GCSUNScast FB post.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Surely we take him as a Cat B Rookie. I'll be flabbergasted if we don't.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
I still don't really have my head around the whole rookie / pre listings / national draft / pre season draft / delisted free agents / trade period etc..
If for instance Collingwood bids on him with pick 50 in the national draft we'll need to use a pick from 2020 to get him??
Do cat B rookies need to go through a rookie draft?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
People here panic all the time, he can don't enter the draft this year and like GWS Kieran biggs play as overagers and GCS draft him next year. Fletcher son did not enter the draft last year either. Might not get pick up even he enter the draft.
Rookie B already fill up with Heron, Dawson and Irish.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
People here panic all the time, he can don't enter the draft this year and like GWS Kieran biggs play as overagers and GCS draft him next year. Fletcher son did not enter the draft last year either. Might not get pick up even he enter the draft.
Rookie B already fill up with Heron, Dawson and Irish.
Ok, maybe other interested clubs have told his manager they'll draft him this year - so he can get paid 100k this year instead of earning ?nothing and - pretty tempting for a young guy from PNG.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ok, maybe other interested clubs have told his manager they'll draft him this year - so he can get paid 100k this year instead of earning ?nothing and - pretty tempting for a young guy from PNG.
Then you should be happy for him other club rated him, right now you assume other club rated him in 50+ range. Club like Collingwood would rather take mature age players like Ricardi, Ben Sokol where they are in premiership windows, than developing a player like Ace, not every club have 10 rookie A spot like GCS. No club want to waste senior spots. Delisting players is the hardest for every club to allocate list spots for new draftees (ND draft you either paid them our like St kilda did to Robbie young or keep them for another year like Nutting) .

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Then you should be happy for him other club rated him, right now you assume other club rated him in 50+ range. Club like Collingwood would rather take mature age players like Ricardi, Ben Sokol where they are in premiership windows, than developing a player like Ace, not every club have 10 rookie A spot like GCS. No club want to waste senior spots. Delisting players is the hardest for every club to allocate list spots for new draftees (ND draft you either paid them our like St kilda did to Robbie young or keep them for another year like Nutting) .
I haven't assumed anything.
I said maybe.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Maybe even worse, maybe he is not rated by other club at all and we don't need to worried about him get pick up after all.
generally when you say maybe, both positive and negative outcomes are considered.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
generally when you say maybe, both positive and negative outcomes are considered.
I think you overrated Ace, Towney rated him as rookie list players or maybe not get pick up in Goldcoast Podcast not long ago.

Wearmouth65

Rookie
Nov 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really talented kid.
Don’t think he was talking about Ace the other kid was the Allies leading goal kicker and kicked the winning goal v Vic Metro that gets attention unless A Crossley has a chance

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Don’t think he was talking about Ace the other kid was the Allies leading goal kicker and kicked the winning goal v Vic Metro that gets attention unless A Crossley has a chance
Maybe Gore, I rated him you can have him.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah Gore
Doubt Crossley in with a shot.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
It says 2018 and 2019 not 2020.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
Is an international scholarship so I don't know how it goes with the rule that different than normal local GC academy players. His father still in PNG if you look at the video, maybe because of sponsorship GCS get to choose he enter the draft this year or next year, or automatically Cat B rookie. Scholarships also mean getting Visa to stayed in Australia.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I still don't really have my head around the whole rookie / pre listings / national draft / pre season draft / delisted free agents / trade period etc..
If for instance Collingwood bids on him with pick 50 in the national draft we'll need to use a pick from 2020 to get him??
Do cat B rookies need to go through a rookie draft?
If an opposition team bids on your academy player, and you don’t have any more draft picks to use to match the bid, that means you don’t have the list spot to take him, and the other team gets him.

If no one bids on your academy players during the National Draft, then you can automatically prelist them as Cat A rookies if you have the rookie list spots for them.

If you don’t have the rookie list spots, then they become undrafted free agents, and there are three options.

1) they sign on as an U19 academy player, and the club retains the kids drafting rights at the next years draft.

(Brisbane will draft Keidean Coleman this year under this scenario)

2) the kid can decide to play NEAFL, SANFL or VFL and sign with a club in which ever league.

3) the kid is available to be picked up during the SSP as an undrafted free agent before the season starts (see Sydney Stack last year as an example).

Note, teams need to have an available Senior or Rookie list spot to sign a player during the SSP. This includes spots that open up due to a listed player injuring them self in preseason and being placed on the LTI list.

Wearmouth65

Rookie
Nov 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If an opposition team bids on your academy player, and you don’t have any more draft picks to use to match the bid, that means you don’t have the list spot to take him, and the other team gets him.

If no one bids on your academy players during the National Draft, then you can automatically prelist them as Cat A rookies if you have the rookie list spots for them.

If you don’t have the rookie list spots, then they become undrafted free agents, and there are three options.

1) they sign on as an U19 academy player, and the club retains the kids drafting rights at the next years draft.

(Brisbane will draft Keidean Coleman this year under this scenario)

2) the kid can decide to play NEAFL, SANFL or VFL and sign with a club in which ever league.

3) the kid is available to be picked up during the SSP as an undrafted free agent before the season starts (see Sydney Stack last year as an example).

Note, teams need to have an available Senior or Rookie list spot to sign a player during the SSP. This includes spots that open up due to a listed player injuring them self in preseason and being placed on the LTI list.
Think Gcs situation may be different this year as they get to prelist players so unlike Brisbane with Cumberland they may not now be able to match any bid on Gore or A Crossley at say pick 78 even if they have pick 79.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Think Gcs situation may be different this year as they get to prelist players so unlike Brisbane with Cumberland they may not now be able to match any bid on Gore or A Crossley at say pick 78 even if they have pick 79.
I know they get to prelist academy players.

But the question was, can they match a bid if they don’t have the pick in the current draft.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
And they can still match a bid if they have a late pick.

Back