Competitions 2019 AFL Draft Closest to the Pin..... Can you do a Wellsy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope such a deal eventuates. Getting part of the value, from Kelly going home , to work early with a top pick appeals. Wells MUST nail the pick though.
With a little hindsight (Bennell chatter) I think if this does happen they will trade 36 forward to next year as a little bit of cover.

Its hard to work out what it will be worth next year... with so many bid pick players... but if we can work out a way to get the two Henrys id be happy I think ..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe!...it's more a matter of who's around at each pick.
I like Rivers over Sharp and maybe good ruck prospect with P36 Bryan is another option if we don't get Jackson.
That’s if Rantall or Taheny are gone.

I think a Bryan type is a more obvious need ..we have to start looking for a long term ruck options imo. Just gets down to how we rate him i guess..if we think he is several years away maybe let him slip thru

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think that's called hedging your bets.....

Yep ... if ones a miss no good being in free fall

61ea27104be474eb3f594316acc4e51e.jpg

Last edited:

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think a Bryan type is a more obvious need ..we have to start look for a long term ruck options imo. Just gets down to how we rate him i guess..if we think he is several years away maybe let him slip thru

I dunno, l think we're a club that doesn't nurture ruck stock, we seem to want the hybrid dual role ruck/forward although other clubs are reverting back to traditional style rucks.
Wouldn't mind Rantall if he's available wins plenty of ball and his endurance is outstanding, running 5:50 with a footballers frame is pretty special.
He said it was a 16sec PB, performing at his very best when it mattered shows how determined he can be, "very impressive" imo.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I have confidence the right player will be picked.. Kersten is an interesting comparison. at 36 ...its not a bad gamble. I didnt know he had actuall played ..so there you go. What were his tackle figure like pre injury..is it a constant element in his game or is it a coming back from injury thing?
Where I said last year I was referring to 2018 not the season just gone no data for 2019,so the figures were pre injury,additional information, laid just the six tackles in four games at the National Under-18 Championships.Defensive pressure is not Georgiades long suit,needs work.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Where I said last year I was referring to 2018 not the season just gone no data for 2019,so the figures were pre injury,additional information, laid just the six tackles in four games at the National Under-18 Championships.Defensive pressure is not Georgiades long suit,needs work.
Generally ... the best players are not the best at D ..they back their own talent... they get a big "welcome to big tent" when the play at afl level..and realise they are no longer good enough to be the Attack only

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So many variables at play to predict this, but I think all of these are in contention with our available picks and are probably around this order (give or take a position or two):

B Kemp, L Jackson, D Robertson, D Stephens, F McAsey, J Sharp, C Taheny, D Williams, C Stephens, J Rantall, J Riccardi, N Bryan.

Will have my selections ready closer to draft date.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I like W Gould, but I am unsure Wells will pick a guy like this considering our current list of many defenders...

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So many variables at play to predict this, but I think all of these are in contention with our available picks and are probably around this order (give or take a position or two):

B Kemp, L Jackson, D Robertson, D Stephens, F McAsey, J Sharp, C Taheny, D Williams, C Stephens, J Rantall, J Riccardi, N Bryan.

Will have my selections ready closer to draft date.

Optimistic unless we trade up.

Pick 14 DEFENDER
Pick 17 DEFENDER (A MID BUT "VERSATILE" AND WILL ONLY EVER BE A ...)
Pick 24 DEFENDER (REALLY A FWD BUT WILL PLAY AS A ...)
Pick 36 DEFENDER (FOR BALANCE A DESIGNATED DEFENSIVE TYPE.)
Re-rookie Hendo or do you think we try to mould Bennel into an Adam Saad type?

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I like W Gould, but I am unsure Wells will pick a guy like this considering our current list of many defenders...

Harry on his last legs and Hendo gone and can't see Zuthrie doing anything but VFL wouldn't they think about Gouldie.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Harry on his last legs and Hendo gone and can't see Zuthrie doing anything but VFL wouldn't they think about Gouldie.
Too many of those third tall defenders on the list - O'Connor, Stewart, Okunbor, Kolo, Henry... All around that 189-193 range. Then there is blokes like Duncan and Guthrie and Zuthrie, and even Constable that they can send back there - all 187-191.

He is good I give him that, but just think the list has other pressing depth needs - namely a young gun midfielder, outside midfielder, medium marking forward, and key positions and a ruck.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Too many of those third tall defenders on the list - O'Connor, Stewart, Okunbor, Kolo, Henry... All around that 189-193 range. Then there is blokes like Duncan and Guthrie and Zuthrie, and even Constable that they can send back there - all 187-191.

He is good I give him that, but just think the list has other pressing depth needs - namely a young gun midfielder, outside midfielder, medium marking forward, and key positions and a ruck.

In fact ..just about every other position before that HB role... I like Brock Smith and Jessie Clark as well...

Id say two mids min... and after that maybe a couple of best fit types.. meshed with best available..

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Amongst that group there's only 1 lock defender obviously Stewart.
I think you're pushing it a little naming Okenbor, and Zuthrie shouldn't be on the list imo. I wouldn't be putting Constable in defence anytime soon, only Kolo and O 'Connor l like.
Not only is Gould’s kicking supurb it's the best in the draft, he could go forward or used midfield which is where he was at times averaging 26 possessions in the Carnival.
He averages 19 disposals SANFL at 90% and 8 rebound 50's l mean who does that!
He would walk into our side next year, ...he'll win a rising star mark my words!
Our team needs to toughen defence, it's what fell over in the end and Gould would go along way helping that out.
To many tall defenders 189/193? Mate this isn't the 1960's when ruckmen were 6'3" even Dangerfield is 189cm.
We're down x2 quality big defenders atm.

Last edited:
Gould is a bit undersized to be a KPD, he certainly wasn't playing KPD for the bays this year. If he's still around at 14 they'd consider him but he won't be replacing Harry or Hendo, probably replace Henry or MOC

Amongst that group there's only 1 lock defender obviously Stewart.
I think you're pushing it a little naming Okenbor, and Zuthrie shouldn't be on the list imo. I wouldn't be putting Constable in defence anytime soon, only Kolo and O 'Connor l like.
Not only is Gould’s kicking supurb it's the best in the draft, he could go forward or used midfield which is where he was at times averaging 26 possessions in the Carnival.
He averages 19 disposals SANFL at 90% and 8 rebound 50's l mean who does that!
He would walk into our side next year, ...he'll win a rising star mark my words!
Our team needs to toughen defence, it's what fell over in the end and Gould would go along way helping that out.
To many tall defenders 189/193? Mate this isn't the 1960's when ruckmen were 6'3" even Dangerfield is 189cm.
We're down x2 quality big defenders atm.
What fell over in the end was playing our FB in the wing and having no KPF. I don't think depth of defenders was an issue.

I agree though Gould is under-rated due to his perceived athleticism issues and him not being in the top 10 would be a travesty. Would welcome him to the list if available, but you can't teach height

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What fell over in the end was playing our FB in the wing and having no KPF. I don't think depth of defenders was an issue.

I agree though Gould is under-rated due to his perceived athleticism issues and him not being in the top 10 would be a travesty. Would welcome him to the list if available, but you can't teach height

He's as big as Kolo and twice as aggressive and a better kick than everyone.
He'll probably play seniors rd 1 and is a shoein for a rising star probably multiples.
Get Gould.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pick 14 JEREMY SHARP
Pick 17 COOPER STEPHE
Pick 24 MILES BERGMAN
Pick 36 SAM DE KONING

I’ll likely edit this 100 times before draft night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back