2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Trengove number 2 draft pick to ammos.

That's gotta hurt the ego.
Had a horror run with injuries & seems to be a good bloke who has his ego in check.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I wonder how long it will take for this PC to come here: a high school football coach in the USA has been suspended because his team won a match by too much! o_O

I remember playing footy in primary school when I was 10 or 11 - We played this school once where we smashed them by over 30 goals - I don't remember the exact score but they scored 1 behind and we kicked atleast 30 goals. Obviously at the time, I thought it was great winning by that much

Later on in the season when we were scheduled to play them again, we didn't have a game because they had forfeited (and they pretty much did the same for the last 5 or 6 games of the season) I think the kids just stopped playing because they didn't want to get belted all the time

I remember thinking after missing out on playing that second game that we shouldn't have beaten them by so much if it meant we missed out on playing a game later in the season

I looked up the case you were talking about (thanks for the link, and everything) and the basis behind the rule is to make teams winning by a lot take off their better players and give the 2nd tier players a go on the field. Without knowing the details of the case, it would be pretty poor if the coach hadn't done that from atleast half time anyway

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rick played about 10cm taller. Didn't work quite so well when he moved to the VFL late in his career when his leap had diminished, but he was a cut above in the SANFL

Didn't he come here from the VFL? Richmond? Never saw him play but my old man said he was in the top bunch of players he saw play in the SANFL. A genuine match winner.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Jack Trengove number 2 draft pick to ammos.

That's gotta hurt the ego.
He's a realist. Don't think he's got an ego.

Like he said, SANFL is not much behind the time commitment of AFL without the financial rewards, so you have to get a day job as well.
If you're lucky enough to pull a good paying real job with long term security it's a no brainer really. Why knock yourself out when you can earn as much in the ammos anyway + play with your mates.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Didn't he come here from the VFL? Richmond? Never saw him play but my old man said he was in the top bunch of players he saw play in the SANFL. A genuine match winner.
No .. he was from Yahl, country SA. Went to boarding school at PAC

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
There you go...I always thought he was a Richmond discard. Thanks.
There were quite a few stars of the SANFL who to the VFL, like Davies. Most went over when they were too old. Russell Ebert, Craig Weston, Robert Klomp were just a few. Shortly after this period the VFL started chasing the younger players like Bradley, Kernahan and Motley

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I remember playing footy in primary school when I was 10 or 11 - We played this school once where we smashed them by over 30 goals - I don't remember the exact score but they scored 1 behind and we kicked atleast 30 goals. Obviously at the time, I thought it was great winning by that much

Later on in the season when we were scheduled to play them again, we didn't have a game because they had forfeited (and they pretty much did the same for the last 5 or 6 games of the season) I think the kids just stopped playing because they didn't want to get belted all the time

I remember thinking after missing out on playing that second game that we shouldn't have beaten them by so much if it meant we missed out on playing a game later in the season
Natural selection at work!

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah that doesn't ring a bell. Never lived there, its always been a holiday destination.

you’re probably a bit younger than I. Pinball parlour was near the end of the main st on the left on the way back to Maitland. A couple of my oldest memories, My Sharona playing and this cheap ass pinball machine that you only needed 5,000 points to get a free game. It was no Adams Family.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
No he was a local. I seem to recall he may have from Maitland but I couldn't find out for sure. This is a Wiki excerpt which encapsulates his career at Sturt

Rick Davies' senior career began with Sturt in 1970 at age 18. He went on to be named as Sturt’s best and fairest player in a record seven of the eight seasons he played for the Double Blues. One of Davies' most noteworthy performances was his dominant display in the 1976 Grand Final victory against Port Adelaide. Davies was judged best on ground on the day when the all-time SANFL record attendance was set when 66,897 fans crammed into Football Park.
In 1981 Davies joined Hawthorn in the VFL. Changes to rules for rucking contests disadvantaged shorter ruckman,[citation needed] and Davies mostly played in the forward pocket, kicking 37 goals. He returned to Sturt in 1982 and was their leading goal kicker for the next three seasons.
In 1983 Davies kicked an SANFL record 151 goals for the season (later beaten in 1990 by Scott Hodges of Port Adelaide who kicked 153), which included 11 goals in a 114-point win over Port Adelaide at the Unley Oval, and a club record 15 against West Adelaide in round eight at Football Park (this would be only one goal shy of Football Park’s all-time record of 16 goals in a match by Woodville’s John Roberts in 1976)

He won the 76 flag off his own boot against a rampant Port Adelaide that had barely lost a match that year.
At his peak, he and Ken Whelan used to take Modra/Burton like hangers about half a dozen times a match. One of the best players I've ever seen.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
1976 Grand Final

21 kicks, 21 handballs, 15 marks, 21 hitouts. Try telling Rick Davies he needs to attend a Collective Minds camp.

Two years later, the SANFL Grand Final saw a Sturt side which, in the public imagination at least, occupied the role of 'David' fronting up to Port Adelaide's 'Goliath' in front of an all time record crowd officially given as 66,897, but almost certainly at least 10,000 more. It proved to be one of the most memorable afternoons in South Australian football, with Davies' deceptively casual 21-kick, 21-handball, 15-mark, 21-hitout performance the most eye-catchingly significant feature of the Double Blues' eventual 41-point win. "From the beginning of 1974 to the end of 1976 he (Davies) controlled every match he played in", recalled teammate Phil "Sandy" Nelson years later. "For those 60 or 70 games he had football by the short and curlies. Very few people could do that. Rick did it."

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
1976 Grand Final

21 kicks, 21 handballs, 15 marks, 21 hitouts. Try telling Rick Davies he needs to attend a Collective Minds camp.

Two years later, the SANFL Grand Final saw a Sturt side which, in the public imagination at least, occupied the role of 'David' fronting up to Port Adelaide's 'Goliath' in front of an all time record crowd officially given as 66,897, but almost certainly at least 10,000 more. It proved to be one of the most memorable afternoons in South Australian football, with Davies' deceptively casual 21-kick, 21-handball, 15-mark, 21-hitout performance the most eye-catchingly significant feature of the Double Blues' eventual 41-point win. "From the beginning of 1974 to the end of 1976 he (Davies) controlled every match he played in", recalled teammate Phil "Sandy" Nelson years later. "For those 60 or 70 games he had football by the short and curlies. Very few people could do that. Rick did it."

insane numbers. I got into him one afternoon at the polo over his errant elbows in an old scholars intercol. He was still highly competitive, even in what was largely a friendly. I was probably lucky he didn’t knock my block off at the polo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back