The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey probably was the closest. And christensen. Other then that there are no players that have made it a feature of their game. Its more one offs. Rioli did it a few times but not consistently enough to make it a feature. Ducking was something done by players in the eighties and has long been eradicated from the game.
But Joel ****ing Selwood never has?

And this is the typical response. And then no evidence is shown. On and on for a decade we go in this circle but no video evidence.
The s**t we've had to put up with as fans by morons all these years is despicable.
Our captain is slagged off and not one person can ever provide evidence to support the reason they do it.

Jealous campaigners.

Absolute champion of the game.

What's oftened ignored in this discussion is how often raising the arm enabled Selwood to get off the handball or slip the tackle. When tackles moved from the hips to pinning the arms, Selwood was the first to adjust to pushing the tacklers arms upwards rather than trying to push it downwards. It enabled him to get his arms free. The free kicks were a fortunate byproduct that he cleverly exploited. It's not his fault that it took the AFL too long to adjust to his skill and too long to stop paying the high contact free kicks that his method of getting his arms free often caused.

Right, so he’s intentionally directing the tacklers arm to his neck region in the hope that he can duck out of the tackle....it’s just a pure coincidence that he forgets to do the main part of this routine and instead is rewarded for a high tackle almost every time.

🤣
so you're saying he didn't duck? :think:

:D
sorry, but you teed it up so nicely

I don't actually blame Selwood for ducking. Because it's worked his whole career. It's the umps fault for paying it. Like many have said, half the time raising the arm he slips the tackle, fine play on.

Just if he draws the contact high and gets nailed, it should be htb as the contact only ended up high due to his actions.

Poor umpiring.

I figured Cotch would be our highest frees for player, but I didn't expect him to be that high, considering Richmond's game style for the past few years hasn't been a very high frees for game style.
Lol. In both your flag years you were in the top five clubs for most frees in the home and away in both seasons.

There's actually footage from a different angle showing he pulls out of taking Worpels head off with a kick off the ground.

Baahahahhaahhahahhhaha

Selwood clearly does not put his head over the pill. And he tries to take Worpels head off but Worpel is too good for him.

Not something Selwood needs to worry about anymore given he plays as an outside winger now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood is a good player, but for me he's just lacking that 10% extra star quality that players like Franklin, Martin and Fyfe have. He can't kick long goals or take big marks but he's courageous.

Baahahahhaahhahahhhaha

Selwood clearly does not put his head over the pill. And he tries to take Worpels head off but Worpel is too good for him.

Not something Selwood needs to worry about anymore given he plays as an outside winger now
How many hawthorn players have been reported for taking selwood out illegally whilst he puts his head over the ball to pick it up? Do you know how many dog acts have been committed by hawks against selwood? Just interested to see how oblivious you guys are to history?

winty you’ve asked the question before. No one has answered it yet.

Abasi you’re better than this low level garbage.

Speaking of, the standard of the main board. One of the toughest most courageous footballers and proudly will watch him notch game 300 in 2020
So much this

And to think Abasi is adding to this rubbish is just garbage and dissapointing

Absolute champion of the game.

What's oftened ignored in this discussion is how often raising the arm enabled Selwood to get off the handball or slip the tackle. When tackles moved from the hips to pinning the arms, Selwood was the first to adjust to pushing the tacklers arms upwards rather than trying to push it downwards. It enabled him to get his arms free. The free kicks were a fortunate byproduct that he cleverly exploited. It's not his fault that it took the AFL too long to adjust to his skill and too long to stop paying the high contact free kicks that his method of getting his arms free often caused.
No mate, it has always been a blight on the spirit of the contest. His petulance when the decisions go against him is instructive.

Last edited:
Lol. In both your flag years you were in the top five clubs for most frees in the home and away in both seasons.
I'd be interested to see where you got those stats from, have a look at this sunshine.....obvious troll post from you but I'm sick of this bullshit.... frees for 2019.GIF 2017 frees for.GIF

On top of that we were ranked 2nd for frees against in 2017 and 8th for frees against in 2019

So consider yourself 'OWNED' after this blatant bullshit that you've been called out on.

And whilst we're on the subject of Duckwood, let's add Dangerflop. It's patently obvious that the Geesook team milked the frees to the max in 2017. Umpires became aware of their cheating tactics and changed their interpretations, leading to Geesook going from 1ST IN FREES FOR in 2017 to 8th in 2019.

I saw Gryan Miers in the Prelim fall like a sack of bricks and stage for a free kick after Houli barely touched him. It's a sad indictment of your team that the 'Leaders' are showing the way for the younger guys in how to milk free kicks. Geesook are well renowned by all supporter groups as being the 'team' that appeals the most for free kicks. The sooner that the Geesook supporter base sees this then sooner things will change. At the moment it is an embarrassment for all football followers to watch.

I eagerly wait your response.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see where you got those stats from, have a look at this sunshine.....obvious troll post from you but I'm sick of this bullshit....View attachment 774057View attachment 774058

On top of that we were ranked 2nd for frees against in 2017 and 8th for frees against in 2019

So consider yourself 'OWNED' after this blatant bullshit that you've been called out on.
That includes finals. A lot less frees are paid in finals. I clearly said in my post: home and away games.

That includes finals. A lot less frees are paid in finals. I clearly said in my post: home and away games.
Firstly, I have edited my post, so go and have another look.

Secondly, how the * could we get out of the "top 5 frees for" after only 3 finals? When you have just said that a lot less frees are paid in finals!!!! You have just shot yourself in the foot!!

I really don’t get this thread.
Don’t get me wrong I love beating Geelong after the years of losing to em and I think Scott still has a grudge against Richmond after getting knocked back for the job and it went to Hardwick.
But people are upset because Selwood got free kicks??

Big deal.

Comparisons to Worpel?? Selwood has probably forgotten more about Football than Worpel knows.
Harvey couldn’t be tackled easily.
Selwood can’t be tackled easily.
Stiff sh.t if he did force the free, they changed the rules because of him and because everyone was sooking about it, everybody else had the same opportunity to do it.
It’s not like he invented a flick pass like the Bulldogs or took drugs to be better for longer in a game or he didn’t play within the rules.
Theres not many sportsman or athletes that get rules changed because nobody else can do what they do.

And I don’t mean kicking people in the face.

I really don’t get this thread.
Don’t get me wrong I love beating Geelong after the years of losing to em and I think Scott still has a grudge against Richmond after getting knocked back for the job and it went to Hardwick.
But people are upset because Selwood got free kicks??

Big deal.

Comparisons to Worpel?? Selwood has probably forgotten more about Football than Worpel knows.
Harvey couldn’t be tackled easily.
Selwood can’t be tackled easily.
Stiff sh.t if he did force the free, they changed the rules because of him and because everyone was sooking about it, everybody else had the same opportunity to do it.
It’s not like he invented a flick pass like the Bulldogs or took drugs to be better for longer in a game or he didn’t play within the rules.
Theres not many sportsman or athletes that get rules changed because nobody else can do what they do.

And I don’t mean kicking people in the face.
He lifts his arm so the opponent's arm touches him on the head, it's not within the spirit of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back