Prediction New Club Logo

I'm up to iteration #15 on the monogram. Lots of small adjustments to angles and proportions to try to get it right.

My aim is to get the visual space in the counter of the P to match the visual space in the apex of the A to really enhance the interlocking nature of the letters.

One thing that has become very apparent is that the monogram will need size variants to allow for the optical effect of the diminishing stroke:gap ratio, which is a bit of a lost art these days.
bomber, in your mock ups are you using gray silver or shiny premiership cup silver?

1572768389056.png

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
I know this is your profession but I find it disappointing that a club, the custodians of our brand, with financial resources can’t deliver the quality that you have.

Well done
It looks terrific but there's nothing wrong with the one the club came up with either.

The club has done a lot to be disappointed in but the logo isn't one of them. Of course that's subjective but if people like bombers version, then the official club one isn't that different and should still be liked even if they don't love it.

Some are so pissed off with the club atm that they hate anything they do.

there's nothing wrong with the one the club came up with

There is a lot wrong with it. Not just technical design stuff either.
Most of it has been outlined here in this thread so I won't go over it again, but the same mistakes of 1995 are being made in terms of branding.

Close enough is not good enough.

I know this is your profession but I find it disappointing that a club, the custodians of our brand, with financial resources can’t deliver the quality that you have.

Well done
The AFL were involved in this process. They legally have control if not outright ownership of logos, guernseys design IP related stuff of all 18 clubs, so who knows what changes they made as part of their pants wetting process to not upset collingwood.

The interesting thing is if the bastards have taken over any control over the PB design or do we still have full 100% control of its use. That has always been a big plus in my eyes for the last 23 years, that they don't control that aspect of the club outside of using it in an official AFL match, so we could use it elsewhere, especially in China down the track.

I hope this 150th anniversary logo stuff and getting to use th PB once in 2020 has not meant we had to hand over control.

Last edited:

Well done

To be fair to the club, it's not always a matter of resources. There's change management and politics at play that I'm unencumbered with when doing my riff on the identity. Potentially, it might be something that club can take on if it has the appetite for incremental change for the better.

My usual role in brand design is to be in cahoots with the CEO and at least one board member to get the best results. Not always possible but it means that you get good decisions and not committees playing at being art directors.

Someone needs to make a call, and not wimp out on letting everyone "have a say".

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not final yet, but refined enough to show how it could be crafted a lot better.

Fattened the outer and inner borders and set the bars in a thicker line weight with a reduced number of 'pylons'.
Removed the rounded corners and the 1870, with a more interlocking monogram than the original.

The all black version Looks great as a badge on a beanie.

View attachment 773854
Wow looks amazing - soooo much stronger. It makes the club's version look third rate at best. What's the desired outcome here? Are you going to present it to the club for consideration?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
My $0.02:

Those badges below are better than the ones above.

Interesting that now the bars formed the outline of a bridge. Since the club is trying to find "the link between past and future," it seems fitting.

The letters could be a bit longer, so the end of the "P" could meet the horizontal line of the "A".

I miss the "1870," but I have no idea where to put it.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The latest Gruen described it well when discussing letting too many people be involved in the decision making process.
I used to give the example of 5 people trying to choose a DVD but some would now not even understand this metaphor.

Gruen has taken it past Ken Kesey's "hen pecking party" to describe it as being "nibbled to death by ducks".
I paraphrase so here's the link (at 12:15)

Apologies if that link doesn't work for you GremioPower, but maybe it does.

While I'm ok with the current logo, I'd run through brick walls for the one Pappagallo posted, genuinely proud of that one.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
The latest Gruen described it well when discussing letting too many people be involved in the decision making process.
I used to give the example of 5 people trying to choose a DVD but some would now not even understand this metaphor.

Gruen has taken it past Ken Kesey's "hen pecking party" to describe it as being "nibbled to death by ducks".
I paraphrase so here's the link (at 12:15)

Apologies if that link doesn't work for you GremioPower, but maybe it does.

While I'm ok with the current logo, I'd run through brick walls for the one Pappagallo posted, genuinely proud of that one.
What is a camel, but a horse drawn by a committee.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL were involved in this process. They legally have control if not outright ownership of logos, guernseys design IP related stuff of all 18 clubs, so who knows what changes they made as part of their pants wetting process to not upset collingwood.

The interesting think is if the bastards have taken over any control over the PB design or do we still have full 100% control of its use. That has always been a big plus in my eyes for the last 23 years, that they don't control that aspect of the club outside of using it in an official AFL match, so we could use it elsewhere, especially in China down the track.

I hope this 150th anniversary logo stuff and getting to use it once in 2020 has not meant we had to hand over control.
Wow. That is a scary thought.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow looks amazing - soooo much stronger. It makes the club's version look third rate at best. What's the desired outcome here? Are you going to present it to the club for consideration?

For me, it's about showing what can be achieved with a professional approach to developing a band identity.

It's not that the designers involved were necessarily bad at their job, it's that the people managing the process saw them as a commodity, not as a driver for creating distinction through the craft of design. There are plenty of giveaways that the final outcome has been diluted with the committee effect.

So an outcome for us is a case study on a high profile professional sports brand that has the potential to be leveraged by the club in the future, as long as all parties are satisfied.

For me, it's about showing what can be achieved with a professional approach to developing a band identity.

It's not that the designers involved were necessarily bad at their job, it's that the people managing the process saw them as a commodity, not as a driver for creating distinction through the craft of design. There are plenty of giveaways that the final outcome has been diluted with the committee effect.

So an outcome for us is a case study on a high profile professional sports brand that has the potential to be leveraged by the club in the future, as long as all parties are satisfied.
A committee effectively designs and then approves the 150th logo.

Bigfooty Port Board, led by bomberclifford to design the logo to be used for 2021 to 2070 seasons. Simples.

Back