WTA Fed Cup 2019

She has been very smart with her schedule this year. This week is only her 15th tournament of the year, one of the lowest in the top 10. Only Serena has played less tournaments than Barty in the top 15 ranked players.

It is more the doubles on top of her schedule that worries me

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
French team named

Kristina Mladenovic, ranked 39 in the world, will be backed by Caroline Garcia (45), Alize Cornet (60), Fiona Ferro (63) and Pauline Parmentier (121).

We should win this. Aja is just a huge in as Garcia and Kiki were a top doubles team. we would want to have won before that and so, the 2nd singles player was vital.

Kinda agree on Barty with doubles in the grand slam tournaments. But, look, she can do what she wants to do. After all, she made the doubles final and won singles in Grand Slams this year. I noticed she would withdraw a lot in doubles if she went deep anyway.

French team named

Kristina Mladenovic, ranked 39 in the world, will be backed by Caroline Garcia (45), Alize Cornet (60), Fiona Ferro (63) and Pauline Parmentier (121).

We should win this. Aja is just a huge in as Garcia and Kiki were a top doubles team. we would want to have won before that and so, the 2nd singles player was vital.

Kinda agree on Barty with doubles in the grand slam tournaments. But, look, she can do what she wants to do. After all, she made the doubles final and won singles in Grand Slams this year. I noticed she would withdraw a lot in doubles if she went deep anyway.

Very strong tie. That's a handy French side.

Yeah that's my issue re the doubles, and I get the fact that she likes them, but there is a line. You don't want to hurt your singles opportunities.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
With the doubles who could partner Stosur besides Barty. At least Barty won't have far to travel to Perth from Shenzhen and will be on the same time zone which is a big plus. Would you throw Astrid in to partner Stosur? Going forward a recognised doubles team needs to be formed.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
With the doubles who could partner Stosur besides Barty. At least Barty won't have far to travel to Perth from Shenzhen and will be on the same time zone which is a big plus. Would you throw Astrid in to partner Stosur? Going forward a recognised doubles team needs to be formed.
Hon came through when she partnered Barty in that deciding rubber against the Seppos. The very last game where Hon served it out to love was probably the best service game she's ever done.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Doubles is the last tie in fed cup is it not? Barty will always back up if fit. Barty at 50% still better than the other doubles options.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Why would you play a first match, let alone in the Fed Cup final. That’s a huge silly risk. No need for it. Stosur is just as strong in this tournament and a veteran.
The reverse rubber could get ugly as well, so Barty has to win both singles anyways. Who’s the doubles pairing?

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Surely you pull Tomljanovic and play Stosur in the reverse?
Win that 2nd singles (you assume Ash wins) and We've won the Fed cup without needing the doubles

Stick with Tomljanovic I think. If it comes down to the doubles so be it, surely we have a good chance to win the doubles rubber.

She's our best player so it's a easy choice for me. Stosur has got nothing these days...

Set all though for Ash, needed to break at 3-4....

Back