The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Remove this Banner Ad

How many hawthorn players have been reported for taking selwood out illegally whilst he puts his head over the ball to pick it up? Do you know how many dog acts have been committed by hawks against selwood? Just interested to see how oblivious you guys are to history?

I remember the dog act where Selwood perforated Guerra's eardrum.

What are the other ones?

He lifts his arm so the opponent's arm touches him on the head, it's not within the spirit of the game.
They changed the interpretation of the rule.
I don’t see it as cheating, I see it like how KB handballed the ball infront if himself when tackled.
It’s not insidious or some sinister act everybody was able to do it.
He plays within the rules and he’s a ball player.

No mate, it has always been a blight on the spirit of the contest. His petulance when the decisions go against him is instructive.
Watch the videos of Selwood getting these frees and notice that he almost invariably gets his arms free and is poised to or does fire off a handball - particularly the early ones. As much as he learnt to milk frees, he also was getting his arms free.

Watch the videos of Selwood getting these frees and notice that he almost invariably gets his arms free and is poised to or does fire off a handball - particularly the early ones. As much as he learnt to milk frees, he also was getting his arms free.

this. Has anyone stopped to actually realise that his first priority is to break the tackle and release the ball, and then if it fails he gives himself a chance of winning the free?

next thing rugby league players looking for a quick play the ball to help their attack will be in the gun for bad sportsmanship because they also know it can force an offside penalty

Yep agreed he does do that. What gets me is the constant look of indignation on his face when the tackle slips up and he thinks he should get a free. Guess he’s learnt from old rotating clown face Scotty in the box

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

full forwards get front spot so their opponent has to risk a free to spoil the ball
Is that within the spirit of the game?
r u serious? Full forwards get front spot because it is easier to mark in front (and easier for his team mate to hit him as a target) than mark from behind.

If you think its about making the full back risking a free or a fwd generating a free then thats some stunningly short sighted logic.

Last edited:
So many morons on this board these days, manifesting itself in this thread.
Not one of you flogs would say no to having Selwood at your club all these years.
Yes. Yes you are.

That includes finals. A lot less frees are paid in finals. I clearly said in my post: home and away games.
Are these are the types you are referring to Art? Yes, they're certainly a special breed these Geesook sooks. But calling him a m-r-n is a bit harsh. There was once even a time when such a term was frowned upon around here.

r u serious? Full forwards get front spot because it is easier to mark in front (and easier for his team mate to hit him as a target) than mark from behind.

If you think its about making the full back risking a free or a fwd generating a free then thats some stunningly short sighted logic.

of course it’s to mark the ball but it forces the fullback to also risk a free to prevent it happening.
how is attempting to break a tackle and move the ball on, with the possibility that you may earn a free in attempting it, any different?

Funny because before the 2011 finals commentators were writing articles about how he didnt deliver in finals. They dont write that anymore. His best finals performances were between 2011-16. Most of which were loses. So the theory plays better in good teams is completely debunked and the opposite is true in finals. His best finals were in losing sides.
So his best just wasn't good enough?

this. Has anyone stopped to actually realise that his first priority is to break the tackle and release the ball, and then if it fails he gives himself a chance of winning the free?

next thing rugby league players looking for a quick play the ball to help their attack will be in the gun for bad sportsmanship because they also know it can force an offside penalty
"Gives himself a chance to win the free".
Thats a new angle......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that his strength in raising the arm is greater than the tacklers strength in holding the tackle.

Theoretically, you should be able to pin that arm if you aren't half hearted.

Nope. Selwood's action is instantaneous, a reflex action. As soon as he is touched (before the tackler has been laid) he drops his knees and raises his arm. Suggests he has been doing it for a long, long time. Probably since his junior years. Either that or he has had training in jujitsu at some stage.

Yep agreed he does do that. What gets me is the constant look of indignation on his face when the tackle slips up and he thinks he should get a free. Guess he’s learnt from old rotating clown face Scotty in the box

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Calling him a tosser is fine Complaining that the AFL didn't adjust quickly enough and paid him too many frees is fine.

Calling him a cheat is bloody ridiculous.

So his best just wasn't good enough?
I understand both our clubs have a massive rivalry, but this comment is just ridiculous.....You must then think Tom Mitchell’s best is nowhere near good enough either considering he’s never played in a winning final for Hawthorn?....A prime example of what was mentioned re Selwood is the 2014 QF against your very team, Selwood was far and above our best player ( even kicked 3 goals ), but as a whole he had nowhere near enough help to actually allow us to beat you....That sort of match has been a constant since 2011....As a fan my admiration has actually gone up for him over these years, because unlike others who get success early in a great team, like Gunston & Bruest, he still continually plays at the same level, not drop when the team has dropped.

Interesting that his strength in raising the arm is greater than the tacklers strength in holding the tackle.

Theoretically, you should be able to pin that arm if you aren't half hearted.
Its not so much about the holding of the tackle, as much as it is about the strength of being able to keep the arm in a specific position once a counter movement occurs.

An outstretched arm has less strength than a tucked arm, from memory of basic biomechanics.

It’s why when you lift a heavy weight you keep your elbows bent and the weight close to your core.

Try to carry a heavy weight with out-stretched arms, elbows straight, it’s tough.

Have to be honest. When Selwood started out his career and was drawing high frees, I did not notice it much as he was smashing into packs consistently and figured the free kicks were always there.
However, after a few years, it began to get on my nerves because Geelong played beautiful footy and the only negatives were the ducking Selwood and Christensen would do.

I always felt when Selwood begun to age and decline, his ducking would come back to haunt him tenfold. He will now cop it constantly and it will get so bad that when he does announce his retirement, the free kicks numbers will be mentioned in the same breath as his illustrious career.

The Hawthorn meatheads obsession with Joel Selwood will never end. :rolleyes:

And the Geelong nuffs will never stop denying that Selwood draws high contact free kicks by raising his arm in a tackle, even in the wake of statistical evidence to prove it.

It's actually staggering that you all seem to believe that every opposition player in the league somehow forgets how to tackle when it comes to Selwood, but can lay a tackle on everyone else that doesn't raise their arm.

The bloke may be a great onfield leader and player, but to deny that a free kick differential of over 200 to the next player, as simply 'opposition players need to learn to tackle properly' is pure lunacy.

of course it’s to mark the ball but it forces the fullback to also risk a free to prevent it happening.
how is attempting to break a tackle and move the ball on, with the possibility that you may earn a free in attempting it, any different?
Because they are trying to mark the ball instead of generating a free kick. What planet are you coming from?

I understand both our clubs have a massive rivalry, but this comment is just ridiculous.....A prime example of what was mentioned re Selwood is the 2014 QF against your very team, Selwood was far and above our best player ( even kicked 3 goals ), but as a whole he
.......could have tried harder when it mattered to drag his team over the line to beat us
As a fan my admiration has actually gone up for him over these years because he still continually plays at the same level, not drop when the team has dropped.
Oh he's dropped alright..... and flopped. this thread is testament to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back