Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Interesting times ahead as we all have our personal best 22s and it's all very speculative. But what's certain is that in every team there are locks, and even though we finished bottom four, the vast majority of our team, if all fit and healthy, are locks. This would be our best 22 based on players who would have to seriously stink it up for a prolonged period, or come in from the off-season packing a keg for Horse to ever not have them in the side come round one.

B: Mills, Rampe, Aliir
HB: Lloyd, _____, Dawson
C: Blakey, Hewett, Florent
R: _____, Kennedy, Parker
HF: McCartin, Franklin, Heeney
F: Papley, Reid, Hayward
I/C: Cunningham, _____, _____, ______

One of those positions is that second/third tall defender, which really is only between Melican or the newcomer in Brand. Neither would have a guaranteed spot, with Brand being new to the club, and this year showing Horse was willing to drop Melican.

Another of those positions is the ruck, which again is really only between two candidates in Naismith or Sinclair. Neither would have a guaranteed spot, because the better tap ruck is a massive unknown entity given his absence, while the better around the ground ruck really isn't up to it in the ruck contests.

Which leaves those three spots on the interchange. We have to assume one of those would go to Rowbottom, who surely couldn't have done more to impress the fans and the coaches at this point as a teenager. So it really leaves those last two spots as the interesting ones to keep an eye on over the off-season, because it could go a number of ways:

- Gray and Taylor, our two new recruits who frankly have the runs on the board and the career output that overshadow the inexperienced guys like Ronke and O'Riordan. (This would be my preferred option!!)
- We continue to look inwards and reward the hard work of someone whose been on our list for a while, like a Ronke, O'Riordan, Bell or Fox (Clarke would also fit into this category as a NEAFL battler this year.)
- The second ruck of that Naismith/Sinclair battle may get picked? Maybe we go for a dual-ruck set-up? In which case is there any possibility for McLean to enter the picture?
- Do we look at two of our talented but potentially raw youngsters who we recently drafted, like McInerney, Foot, Wicks, or this year's draftee whoever he may be?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Football department changes

Kirk, who has led the Swans midfield over the past four seasons, will take up a new role in development. Cox will also move from midfield coach to a new assignment focused on on-field strategy and performance analysis. Blakey is set to become defence coach, while Kennelly and McVeigh will oversee the midfield group.

Johnson will remain forwards coach.
Cox will also be ruck coach.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Football department changes

Kirk, who has led the Swans midfield over the past four seasons, will take up a new role in development. Cox will also move from midfield coach to a new assignment focused on on-field strategy and performance analysis. Blakey is set to become defence coach, while Kennelly and McVeigh will oversee the midfield group.

Johnson will remain forwards coach.
Cox will also be ruck coach.
Sounds Good
Im a fan of the tweaks in the coaching roles rather than big changes. Stability is always good and the tweaks will keep things fresh.
IMO another example of the professionalism in how the club is run from the top to the bottom. Good Job Swans

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Is there someone being groomed to take over as head coach after Horse?
I doubt that Horse will sign another contract - not because he's not good enough, rather for the reason that 15 odd years means its time. The transition from Roos to Horse was seamless. Ideally something similar will happen again
Cox? His new role uses his skills in a much broader manner, closer to the thinking of a head coach, while still keeping a hands on role.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I doubt that Horse will sign another contract - not because he's not good enough, rather for the reason that 15 odd years means its time. The transition from Roos to Horse was seamless. Ideally something similar will happen again
Cox? His new role uses his skills in a much broader manner, closer to the thinking of a head coach, while still keeping a hands on role.

Seems like it could be a number of people on the current panel being groomed. Kirk is an obvious one, Cox is certainly getting a lot of exposure, even Blakey could be making a run at it now that he's starting to get more time as a line coach.

And I cannot imagine that McVeigh harbours no intention of being a head coach eventually.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I am not sure it’s that doubtful Horse signs another contract. It will largely depend on how the list build has gone of course, but if all goes to plan I would imagine we’d be firmly in the window in around the top 4 at that point, and I am not sure I can see him passing on the reins (or the club wanting to see him moved on) if that’s the case.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So the panel is:

Longmire - head coach
Blakey - defence
Kennelly & McVeigh - midfield
Johnson - forward
Cox - ruck & on-field strategy/performance analysis
Kirk - development (presumably the role Blakey had been filling for a while)
Really pleased with these changes. Seems to be more suited to their strengths. Looking forward to seeing something come out of it

To me the biggest move, and best, is Kirk to development. This plays more to where he can impact the club positively. I feel his mentor ship in the midfield has been hampered by the era and coaches he played under and coached with previous to the Swans. McVeigh is an interesting one and by all reports a natural move. His ability coming straight from playing I think strengthens his position as the he has been part of the modern game and should have a strong, players insight as to where he feels the mids should go. Kennelly demonstrates an attacking mindset at NEAFL level so interesting to see if this is carried over at teh top level.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
To me the biggest move, and best, is Kirk to development. This plays more to where he can impact the club positively. I feel his mentor ship in the midfield has been hampered by the era and coaches he played under and coached with previous to the Swans. McVeigh is an interesting one and by all reports a natural move. His ability coming straight from playing I think strengthens his position as the he has been part of the modern game and should have a strong, players insight as to where he feels the mids should go. Kennelly demonstrates an attacking mindset at NEAFL level so interesting to see if this is carried over at teh top level.
My only concern is we essentially have 3 midfield coaches between Cox, Kennelly & McVeigh. I guess this is representative of where our playing group is headed with more players being in the midfield but from my personal experience when it's not clear who owns an area no one does. Can make further problems

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting times ahead as we all have our personal best 22s and it's all very speculative. But what's certain is that in every team there are locks, and even though we finished bottom four, the vast majority of our team, if all fit and healthy, are locks. This would be our best 22 based on players who would have to seriously stink it up for a prolonged period, or come in from the off-season packing a keg for Horse to ever not have them in the side come round one.

B: Mills, Rampe, Aliir
HB: Lloyd, _____, Dawson
C: Blakey, Hewett, Florent
R: _____, Kennedy, Parker
HF: McCartin, Franklin, Heeney
F: Papley, Reid, Hayward
I/C: Cunningham, _____, _____, ______

One of those positions is that second/third tall defender, which really is only between Melican or the newcomer in Brand. Neither would have a guaranteed spot, with Brand being new to the club, and this year showing Horse was willing to drop Melican.

Another of those positions is the ruck, which again is really only between two candidates in Naismith or Sinclair. Neither would have a guaranteed spot, because the better tap ruck is a massive unknown entity given his absence, while the better around the ground ruck really isn't up to it in the ruck contests.

Which leaves those three spots on the interchange. We have to assume one of those would go to Rowbottom, who surely couldn't have done more to impress the fans and the coaches at this point as a teenager. So it really leaves those last two spots as the interesting ones to keep an eye on over the off-season, because it could go a number of ways:

- Gray and Taylor, our two new recruits who frankly have the runs on the board and the career output that overshadow the inexperienced guys like Ronke and O'Riordan. (This would be my preferred option!!)
- We continue to look inwards and reward the hard work of someone whose been on our list for a while, like a Ronke, O'Riordan, Bell or Fox (Clarke would also fit into this category as a NEAFL battler this year.)
- The second ruck of that Naismith/Sinclair battle may get picked? Maybe we go for a dual-ruck set-up? In which case is there any possibility for McLean to enter the picture?
- Do we look at two of our talented but potentially raw youngsters who we recently drafted, like McInerney, Foot, Wicks, or this year's draftee whoever he may be?
Good analysis. The possibility exists that the preseason could send one of the "less likelies" rocketing in but I reckon you're pretty right. Most vulnerable of your "locks" are Florent, Hayward, McCartin and Cunningham.
Agree 're Gray and Taylor as long as they fit the game plan.
O'Riordan a big chance on the I/C.
We'll see those combos in the intra-club and preseason.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Tadgh was our defense coach 2019. NEAFL was Laidler and Perris.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Sounds Good
Im a fan of the tweaks in the coaching roles rather than big changes. Stability is always good and the tweaks will keep things fresh.
IMO another example of the professionalism in how the club is run from the top to the bottom. Good Job Swans
I'd go a bit further.
Our midfield has been getting trashed and a lot on here have talked about the coaching. Kirky was there 4 years with no noticeable improvement. Definitely time to move on.
Cox seems to be he'd in high esteem. His change will bring him a lot closer to Horse on game day and in preparation. Good for him and hopefully the club.
Macca and Tadgh in the midfield will be an interesting experiment. Also suggests we'll be drafting midfielders.
Blakey in defence also interesting. Broadening his CV?
So yes, sure as heck looks interesting! Charlie not sitting on his hands.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Seems like it could be a number of people on the current panel being groomed. Kirk is an obvious one, Cox is certainly getting a lot of exposure, even Blakey could be making a run at it now that he's starting to get more time as a line coach.

And I cannot imagine that McVeigh harbours no intention of being a head coach eventually.
Anyone but Kirk, our midfield has been terrible under him.

FB: ????? - ????? - ?????
HB: Golud - ????? - ?????
C: Stephens - Warner - ?????
HF: Taylor - ????? - ?????
FF: ????? - ????? - ?????
Foll: ????? - ????? - ?????
I/C: ????? - ????? - ????? - ?????

Back