2019 Game of the Year

What was the 2019 Game of the Year?

• Rd 1: St. Kilda (85) def. Gold Coast (84)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rd 2: Hawthorn (87) def. by Bulldogs (106)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Rd 4: Geelong (75) def. by GWS (79)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Rd 4: Port Adelaide (92) def. by Richmond (99)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Rd 6: Essendon (69) def. by Collingwood (73)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Rd 8: Carlton (87) def. by Collingwood (106)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rd 10: Fremantle (73) def. Brisbane (72)

• Rd 11: Collingwood (75) def. by Fremantle (79)

• Rd 12: Carlton (78) def Brisbane (63)

• Rd 13: Carlton (100) def. by Bulldogs (103)

• Rd 15: Essendon (77) def GWS (71)

• Rd 15: Hawthorn (71) def. by West Coast (77)

• Rd 15: Fremantle (75) def. by Carlton (79)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Rd 16: Carlton (100) def. by Melbourne (105)

• Rd 17: West Coast (77) def. by Collingwood (78)

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Rd 17: Essendon (86) def Kangaroos (81)

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Rd 20: GWS (83) def Sydney (81)

• Rd 22: Brisbane (75) def. Geelong (74)

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Rd 22: Richmond (88) def. West Coast (82)

Votes: 135 54.2%
  • SF: Brisbane (80) def. by GWS (83)

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • PF: Richmond (85) def. Geelong (66)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • PF: Collingwood (52) def. by GWS (56)

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
What was the best game of the year? Vote to have your say. I ranked what I consider the top 10 best games this year in terms of quality, stakes, score, controversy, emotion, and crowd involvement.

1. Rd 22: Richmond (88) def. West Coast (82)
An incredible game that saw the best of two contenders. The Eagles 1st quarter was football at its finest; free-flowing and goals galore, with Richmond powerless to stop it. But the Tigers turned the game and started creeping back, closing to 9 points at half time. The rain set in with Richmond inching closer and closer. Twice in the last they got out to seemingly match winning leads and twice the Eagles pegged them back. Some dubious umpiring decisions, plenty of emotion, high stakes and top-4 spots on the line, the game was ended by a Riewoldt mongrel punt that gave the Tigers a 6 point win.

2. Rd 22: Brisbane (75) def. Geelong (74)
Top of the table clash. The Lions were down for most of the day before storming home with 3 late goals, including one after a McCarthy hanger. The game itself was a bit scrappy but this is understandable given the circumstances and stakes.

3. Rd 13: Carlton (100) def. by Bulldogs (103)
A game of huge momentum swings. The Dogs were in cruise control, 4+ goals up in the 2nd until Carlton fired back, kicking 5 straight to hit the lead in the 3rd. The Dogs then kicked 6 straight to be 6 goals clear midway through the last, before Carlton then kicked the last 5 to almost pinch a win.

4. PF: Richmond (85) def. Geelong (66)
A huge crowd packed the G to witness the Cats largely control the first half and look to be almost into a GF. But the Tiger awoke after half time and stormed back into the match, hitting the front late in the quarter. A see-sawing last quarter gave Geelong plenty of chances, but the Tigers held on to advance to the GF.

5. Rd 4: Geelong (75) def. by GWS (79)
Callan Ward did an ACL early and the Cats led for most of the day. Incredible win given the circumstances and a high-quality game all round.

6. Rd 17: West Coast (77) def. by Collingwood (78)
A remarkable win in hostile territory. Both fighting for top 4, Collingwood came from behind after half time and hung on to record a famous victory.

7. SF: Brisbane (80) def. by GWS (83)
A game of momentum shifts saw GWS twice hold 4 goal leads before the Lions fought back. Brisbane dominated the last quarter but struggled to find the goals, letting Brent Daniels kicking the winner with a few minutes remaining.

8. Rd 6: Essendon (69) def. by Collingwood (73)
Cue umpiring frustration. Close game all day but the Pies were never headed. Frantic last quarter with Essendon just not quite doing enough (not helped by umps).

9. PF: Collingwood (52) def. by GWS (56)
The game itself wasn’t much for viewing pleasure. Plenty of rain saw a stoppage fest that GWS eventually started getting control of. However the Pies didn’t go quietly and went nuts in the last, more than doubling their score from the first 3 quarters and coming agonizingly close to another GF.

10. Rd 1: St. Kilda (85) def. Gold Coast (84)
Heartbreaker early for the people’s team GC. Peter Wright had a shot to win late and then Burgess almost marked in the square off that shot at goal.

Can't take this poll seriously when you left out the clear best game of the year

Round 21 - Essendon vs Bulldogs

Huge momentum swing!

Bombers hit the front early with the first goal of the game, then the dogs arrested the slide with the next 21 goals in a row. Bombers staged a late comeback in the last quarter but fell agonisingly short to lose by 104 points.

While it may have been as you put it a stoppage fest, the GWS v Collingwood PF was tense and absorbing viewing
The last twenty minutes was the most absorbing football of the year in difficult conditions. The last five scoreless minutes off the charts for tension!
If only Collingwood had turned up a little bit earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't take this poll seriously when you left out the clear best game of the year

Round 21 - Essendon vs Bulldogs

Best game of the year by a considerable margin !!

Rd 15
Freo vs Carlton was a great game.
Low scoring but the last 10 minutes in particular made for a great watch.

I hadn’t realised just how poor it was until I saw the OP.
I thought 6-6-6 was creating close games. Obviously not good ones.

I did my best with what I had. Looking through results there were plenty of close games but only a few were memorable imo. This is probably the case with most years though where only a couple of games stick out as being truly great (eg. Tigers Eagles 2019)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hadn’t realised just how poor it was until I saw the OP.
I thought 6-6-6 was creating close games. Obviously not good ones.
It took coaches about 1 game to work out 666, another AFL hastily thought out rule that is totally unneeded, allowing rucks to have some prior opportunty was a better rule in my opinion.

Back