MCG tenants on Grand Final day

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
That shows it effects east -> west travel the worst
So it disadvantages all the teams that travel to your home ground.

Travelling west -> east must be the opposite then, you gain an advantage from it
Huge advantage no doubt.

Ive read dozens of studies on travel and some say that east - west is harder - some say west - east is harder.

I suspect that game times would be the crux of the matter - if a team travels east and is out on a footy ground at 0900 (their bodys time) instead of 1100 where they are more used to starting they are perhaps likely to be sluggish

Same as a team coming from east starting a game at 2030 (their bodys time) when the local team’s body clock says its 1830 - they are possibly going to not be as competitive.

Thats just my surmise - i have no studies to back that up - its just something i see often that some studies rate e-w harder and others the opposite and my possible surmise as to why.

I know interstate we often have a bunch of goals piled on us in the first before we switch on and start playing footy.

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I think adelaide would have won handily in adelaide.

but i reckon what we were cheated out of was an epic at a neutral venue.

would have been a much better game - obvs you lot were happy with the result but it was a snooze fest for neutrals
Does the MCG provide a 10 goal advantage to Richmond?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
4BC2384A-CD88-4492-BDB8-0FCC4E708274.jpeg
Does the MCG provide a 10 goal advantage to Richmond?
Does adelaide oval provide a ten goal advantage to adelaide

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Nope, so then how would Adelaide have 'won handily'?
I dont know - perhaps its the 12 goals they beat you by in adelaide - added to the pantsing they gave you the year after and despite not even making the top eight the fact that they beat you there again this year

It could be the thirty points you lost there by in 2015

I dont know - its just a feeling i get - i cant imagine where from - that the crows have the wood over you at ao

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
So now your comparing round 6 with a grand final?
Mate you dont mystically get super powers of winning away from home just because its a granny.

Spend some time on an interstate clubs board - we know what it takes to win interstate as weve found out the hard way.

Teams that dont win games interstate all year dont go on to be stars at it in finals.

Look at the dogs in 2016 - beat sydney (1st) and adelaide (5th) away interstate.

Next thing you know they are winning finals interstate.

Nearly half our games are interstate - look at 2018 and the thread when we first met collingwood at the g - almost without fail we were using that game as our litmus test for the season. Dont win that - or at least be so competitive that it came down to the last few seconds then we were pretenders.

You guys dont analyse your teams interstate form anywhere near as much as we do by virtue if the fact that you just dont have to.

You could sent your vfl team to all your interstate games and still make top four based on winning vic games.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont know - behaps its the 12 goals they beat you by in adelaide - added to the pantsing they gave you the year after and despite not even making the top eight the fact that they beat you there again this year

I dont know - its just a feeling i get - i cant imagine where from - that the crows have the wood over you at ao

Why are you still trying to win the pretend flag for Adelaide?

Next year, will you start on Collingwood, or do you skip them and argue for GWS 2019?

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I dont know - behaps its the 12 goals they beat you by in adelaide - added to the pantsing they gave you the year after and despite not even making the top eight the fact that they beat you there again this year

Again all not relevant to how the teams were travelling at the end of 2017.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Why are you still trying to win the pretend flag for Adelaide?

Next year, will you start on Collingwood, or do you skip them and argue for GWS 2019?
Im not trying to win any flag for adelaide.

I actually dont like them - much prefer richmond to watch and as a team. Im against the inherent unfairness of the gf being locked at the mcg for my lifetime.

We will never know who would have won that game at a neutral venue - my personal belief is adelaide would have won on skinny grounds and richmond on wide ones.

Fast forward to 2019 its not such a bother - look at how the year went and richmond were streets ahead of anyone else - their season home and away and finals showed they could (and would) have beaten anyone anywhere.

But every time an interstater (especially one that finishes higher) loses to a team in a gf at the g - theres going to be serious scrutiny - and it will get louder

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Again all not relevant to how the teams were travelling at the end of 2017.
Yeah well if we had the gf at a neutral venue - we wouldnt have to go through this would we?

We would look at who won and know they deserved it.

Thats why almost every single pro sport in the world either plays its big kahuna game at a neutral venue / allows for the advantage

Surely Paul

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve voiced my displeasure about this thread several times, and yet it’s still active. Very puzzling indeed.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

I actually dont like them - much prefer richmond to watch and as a team. Im against the inherent unfairness of the gf being locked at the mcg for my lifetime.

We will never know who would have won that game at a neutral venue - my personal belief is adelaide would have won on skinny grounds and richmond on wide ones.

Fast forward to 2019 its not such a bother - look at how the year went and richmond were streets ahead of anyone else - their season home and away and finals showed they could (and would) have beaten anyone anywhere.

But every time an interstater (especially one that finishes higher) loses to a team in a gf at the g - theres going to be serious scrutiny - and it will get louder

There is no doubt that the Tigers are worthy premiers but I think it's a long way off saying streets ahead. The Eagles losing to hawthorn in round 23 gifted them a top 4 spot. Not their fault of course but it turned a very anticipated final series into a walk in the park for the tigers.
Yes they looked streets ahead but their main two challengers thought it was all to hard when it mattered and fell over.

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Yeah well if we had the gf at a neutral venue - we wouldnt have to go through this would we?

We would look at who won and know they deserved it.

Thats why almost every single pro sport in the world either plays its big kahuna game at a neutral venue / allows for the advantage
Fair point but I think you make too much of the ‘advantage’ that a mcg tenant gets in a GF, I think it’s quite minimal.

I look at your 2018 granny and think you controlled that game more (other than the start) than week 1 of finals.

If you believe those small clubs don't serve the purposes of tv ratings and gate attendances, then you have to ask yourself why are they there.
Don’t you realise that the sole reason for there existence is to victimise the Eagles?
Haven’t you learned by now that everything revolves around West Coast?
Don’t you realise that as they are not gifted premier success each and every year, the injustice is unbearable? Even if they did, we’d still never hear the end of how unfair it all is.
It must be so tough for them to have to earn their success with only a handful of unsporting advantages over the rest of the comp.
Their infernal whinging and bitching and moaning and complaining is completely understandable and justified.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Fair point but I think you make too much of the ‘advantage’ that a mcg tenant gets in a GF, I think it’s quite minimal.

I look at your 2018 granny and think you controlled that game more (other than the start) than week 1 of finals.
Correlation not being causation and all that.

we were unbeaten on the mcg that year - but compare that to other years - our winning percentage on the g is abysmal

We hadnt beaten collinwood at the mcg for 30 years before that year - if we hadnt got a game against them that year at the g as opposed to etihad (and won) you can mount a fair case for that monkey on our back to have given their five goal start - the beginnings of another 2015 style rout.

the mcg is a pretty awesome place - i remember the first time i went there to watch collingwood/ geelong in 2016.

you are a few hundred metres from the place when you look up at it and the hairs stand up on your arms - its like wow - this place youve only ever seen on tv since you were a kid - its big and its impressive - it has an aura. By the time an interstate team has rebuilt, built up and plays a gf at the g - the most experienced players on the team have played at it <10 times. The least experienced 0.

but to your players its just where they go to work most weeks. Although the game itself is a big deal - the arena isnt. Its home. The fact that you are there means youve won all bar a couple of games there all year.

contrast that to an interstate team this decade - its a venue they play 0, 1 or 2 times a year - often against crap teams like melbourne, carlton or middle teams as were richmond.

The good teams like collingwood, geelong or hawthorn were met at utas, goonbag or etihad.

to suggest that its even defies everything we know about sports science.

england keep wembley aside for internationals and finals - because they understand the advantage playing at home in a big game brings

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Before the 2017 GF, Adelaide had 2 wins (Hawthorn, Carlton), 1 draw(collingwood), 0 losses at the MCG

If it was such a cheat ground, how did that happen?

I dont know - perhaps its the 12 goals they beat you by in adelaide - added to the pantsing they gave you the year after and despite not even making the top eight the fact that they beat you there again this year

A minor point: Premierships are won in September.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Don’t you realise that the sole reason for there existence is to victimise the Eagles?
Haven’t you learned by now that everything revolves around West Coast?
Don’t you realise that as they are not gifted premier success each and every year, the injustice is unbearable? Even if they did, we’d still never hear the end of how unfair it all is.
It must be so tough for them to have to earn their success with only a handful of unsporting advantages over the rest of the comp.
Their infernal whinging and bitching and moaning and complaining is completely understandable and justified.
We want a neutral venue/ rotated venue for gf NOT a flag every year.

Sorry if we didnt explain that very well

Hopefully this clears it up.

you are a few hundred metres from the place when you look up at it and the hairs stand up on your arms - its like wow - this place youve only ever seen on tv since you were a kid - its big and its impressive - it has an aura. By the time an interstate team has rebuilt, built up and plays a gf at the g - the most experienced players on the team have played at it <10 times. The least experienced 0.

I've just picked a sample of WCE players who I recognise as some of the more experienced players in the team. The list below is how many games they've played at the MCG:
Shannon Hurn- 27
Jack Darling- 24
Luke Shuey- 23
Andrew Gaff-22
Nic Naitanui- 18

That's a bit more experience on the MCG than less than 10 games each.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I've just picked a sample of WCE players who I recognise as some of the more experienced players in the team. The list below is how many games they've played at the MCG:
Shannon Hurn- 27
Jack Darling- 24
Luke Shuey- 23
Andrew Gaff-22
Nic Naitanui- 18

That's a bit more experience on the MCG than less than 10 games each.
Where did you access those stats?
Always interesting to be able to talk with authority rather than guess - id appreciate the site.

Seeing as we average 2 games a year there id not have thought that many.

but shannon hurn at 32 having played as many games there as a second year player of a tenant team

liam ryan debuted at the mcg in the gf.

Back