Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2009
Under a Big Sky
AFL Club
St Kilda
All these noobs critiquing one of the foundation clubs and suburbs who have proven an integral member of the competition from day. Surviving years of adversity, and contributing many milestones and champions of the game.

VFA FOUNDATION CLUBS
Albert Park, Ballarat, Barwon, Beechworth, Carlton, Castlemaine, East Melbourne, Essendon, Geelong, Hotham (later North Melbourne), Inglewood, Melbourne, Rochester and St Kilda.

VFL FOUNDATION CLUBS
Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, South Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda

OLDEST AFL CLUBS
Melbourne FC (1859), Geelong (1859), Carlton (1864), North Melbourne (aka Hotham) (1869), Essendon (1872), and St Kilda (1873)

FIRST EVER SEASON OF REGISTERED FOOTBALL 1858
Schools that were playing organised football during 1858 - St Kilda Grammar, Melbourne Grammar and Scotch College

FIRST EVER NON-SCHOOL TEAMS REGISTERED 1858
Melbourne, South Yarra, St Kilda

HIGHEST AFL ATTENDANCES
1970 Carlton v Collingwood 121696
1969 Richmond v Carlton 119165
1971 St Kilda v Hawthorn 118192

DOCKLANDS RECORDS
Highest Attendance - 2009 St Kilda v Geelong 54,444
vs Interstate Team - 2004 St Kilda v Brisbane 52539
Most Wins - St Kilda 138

AFL RULES 1860
from wikipedia - There was an alliance of clubs with St Kilda Football Club calling for a meeting of all clubs to develop rules all games are played under. This meeting was held by players at the Argus Hotel on 28th May 1860. The purpose was to organizing general rules of play. The club represented :— Melbourne, St. Kilda, South Yarra, Richmond, Scotch College, University, Williamstown, Collingwood, and Boroondara. The current Melbourne rules were debated, there was an unsuccessful motion by South Yarra for a "push in the back rule". The rules adopted were printed and called " The Victorian Football Rules."

Last edited:

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing post here.

You’ve been re-calibrating your list since 2011, taking a reasonably tempered approach which has so far yielded no finals, and a half-baked list with close to zero stars, and no future guns apart from Clark and King, who hasnt played a game.

By contrast we’ve been reconstructing our list since 2015, and are trending upwards having won more games than St Kilda in the back half of the season, including beating a Ratten-coached St Kilda team.

You’re also now paying a guy who managed 4 Brownlow votes over an entire season 900k per year, and paying another player 800k pa for 5 games a season.

Thanks for Newnsey though.

Wow i have seen a new mind boggling low on bigfooty. Carlton trolling St Kilda over football list management.... o_O

but i think you were serious 🤣

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Wow i have seen a new mind boggling low on bigfooty. Carlton trolling St Kilda over football list management.... o_O

Take some heart anyone cares enough to actually post about your list build, which has to this point been aimless and impulsive, or at absolute least try to counter any of what I’ve said.

For a long time now no ones bothered to substantiate the obvious.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think St Kilda has done a wonderful job recently of rectifying past mistakes. When Grant Thomas was coach i couldn't wait for him to be replaced as there was a consensus he was a poor match day coach. So in comes Lyon and we got what we wanted and now we played to our ability. This didn't come without a double edged sword. Lyon was the king at recruiting "no gap filler" players chasing that elusive flag. That was fine until the premiership window shut and he jumped ship.

The recruiting as we would later see was a disgrace and set the club back years. Watters came in and did no better in his short stay and so in comes Richo the captain of the titanic. The recruiting improved absolutely but there is only so much one can do from where he started. He didn't hire the right personal to help him and the club move forward until the last year and as we would find out he wasn't much of a match day coach either. Players stagnated under him with some going backwards. He tried moving the magnets around but in my opinion he was doing more harm then good.

So we come to the present. We have strong people all over from the admin to the football department to the coaching coming in from the last 12 months or so.

Brereton helping the forwards
Billy Slater
Roughead who will help the forwards and work on our list
Ratten who didn't do much wrong at Carlton taking that rabble to finals and now he has the experience under Clarkson
Leathlan - gun admin who seems disliked by some because of his personal life. He is overqualified for his position and we are lucky to have him
Gubby Allen - Another gun admin who can pull strings and get s**t done. Can't be a surprise players want to choose St Kilda now.

Then theres Matt Finnis who has got us away from Seaford and down at Moorabbin. That alone gives him a gold medal. The states put up the money and now it's a classy establishment.

The recruits

Hannebury from last year. Overpaid, sure but the saints have plenty of cap space. He showed he's lost little when he is out there. Still to be determined.

Ryder - No ruck at all after Marshall not even in the reserves. We grabbed the 2017 AA ruckman and apparently he's cooked and no good. Oh please. We picked him up for next to nothing for what he will give the club over the next two years.

Jones- Apparently hes a C grader who cant kick and is lucky to get an AFL game anywhere. I will put money on him being a solid B grader for us for the next 7 years and he has attributes which other clubs want. Richmond wanted him ffs so that tells a different story to the crap posted on bigfooty.

Howard - Port fans hated the trade but according to bigfooty he played reserves so hes no good. Look deeper and you will see the coach and the player had different ideas on what was best for him which resulted in him leaving. More an indictment on the sinking ship that is Hinkley.

Hill - Overpaid and no star! Repeated over and over. This is what Hill is. An elite endurance athlete with silky skills who finds space and gets plenty of it. Every club would bend over to get a player like that but he chose St Kilda. The end.

Butler - On a hiding to nothing with the pickup. Could prove to be gold or just depth. Time will tell.

As for the outs. I am glad they are all off our list with the exception of Bruce as it puts a lot of pressure on Max King to come good next year. On the positive he wasn't worth what he wanted and what the bulldogs were prepared to pay.

Saints will be unstoppable lightning quick
we have
- Hill
- Hind
- Jones
- Kent
- Parker
- Long
- Howard

thats blistering pace. Expect us to use the wings next year. then bang to big maxy, membrey, ryder, marshal!!
So 1 good player 4 spuds and 2 role players god that’s scary

North should just do the right thing and relocate to Tasmania.

When we smash in your Round 1, and it becomes apparent your big recruiting spree came to nothing, and the Dun and Bradstreet letters start arriving about your massive debt (we have no debt) you'll wish you hadn't walked away from Tassie.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
When we smash in your Round 1, and it becomes apparent your big recruiting spree came to nothing, and the Dun and Bradstreet letters start arriving about your massive debt (we have no debt) you'll wish you hadn't walked away from Tassie.
love it!!
its amazing how vital round 1 becomes in our minds. reality is only after round 17 do we know whats up.
having said that saints should destroy the roos .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love it!!
its amazing how vital round 1 becomes in our minds. reality is only after round 17 do we know whats up.
having said that saints should destroy the roos .

Yeah, trading away the bloke who stopped our seven goal beating of you from being a 13 goal flogging last time we played for a cokehead and some rejects.

Wooooh, I'm scared, I might not even go.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, trading away the bloke who stopped our seven goal beating of you from being a 13 goal flogging last time we played for a cokehead and some rejects.

Wooooh, I'm scared, I might not even go.
Umpires gave you that match. We destroyed you in second quarter but the umps blatant cheating was too much.
Cant wait for hill and king to destroy

Umpires gave you that match. We destroyed you in second quarter but the umps blatant cheating was too much.
Cant wait for hill and king to destroy

I think our seven goal first quarter gave it to us actually.

King hasn't even played a game, Hill's just there for the paycheque.

On a more serious note, I reckon you're gunna discover what we did in Round 1 this year - that playing five or six new blokes doesn't work straight away, especially when half of them are hacks.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think our seven goal first quarter gave it to us actually.

King hasn't even played a game, Hill's just there for the paycheque.

On a more serious note, I reckon you're gunna discover what we did in Round 1 this year - that playing five or six new blokes doesn't work straight away, especially when half of them are hacks.
Geary Carlisle Webster
Wilkie Howard Coffield
Hill Ross Billings
Parker Battle Gresham
Membrey M.King Butler

Marshal Steele Clark

Ryder Jones Dunstan Long

Good luck beating that team.

Geary Carlisle Webster
Wilkie Howard Coffield
Hill Ross Billings
Parker Battle Gresham
Membrey M.King Butler

Marshal Steele Clark

Ryder Jones Dunstan Long

Good luck beating that team.

Righto then, we shall see.

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Keep believing that JeanLucGoddard. St Kilda have double the supporters North have. North have put up a good fight but we all know that in the end you will become the Tassie Kangaroos. It's for the good of the National comp and it is getting closer than you think my friend.

Keep believing that JeanLucGoddard. St Kilda have double the supporters North have. North have put up a good fight but we all know that in the end you will become the Tassie Kangaroos. It's for the good of the National comp and it is getting closer than you think my friend.

Yet you have a massive debt, and you get way more off the AFL than any other Melbourne club.

The wolf is at your door my friend.

St Kilda have reassured the AFL Commission that the foundations are in place to meet the football and financial challenges facing the club.

Having finished 16th last season and with a debt of $12 million - about $6 million owing to the AFL - negativity has surrounded the club's ability to quickly become a contender once again.

$12 million debt for the Saints.

North Melbourne has shred its overall debt back to less than $450,000 — down from a crippling $8 million in 2007 — after recording another yearly profit, its 10th from the past 11 years.

$450,000 debt for North

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

$12 million debt for the Saints.

$450,000 debt for North
You can quote all the articles you want, the fact is North are irrelevant because they have hardly got any supporters. The truth hurts.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia

For all the talk of Carlton being s**t for decades and St. Kilda being close to flags on a few occasions, we’ve still won matches in two separate finals series since the Saints’ last September win.

Yeah, that’s how s**t you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back