hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Recruiting is fine. List management meh. Greenwood took a great contested mark when forward.
Getting rid of that option when we don’t do that much was bemusing.
He did SOMETIMES, but it was rare. Also, the inclusion of Fogarty negates the need for Greenwood forward.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He is of course just 1 voice on a list management committee that included Roo, Burto and Pyke. Reid doesn’t make any decisions unilaterally. I don’t know why he cops it to the extent he does.
100%

I.mean there's room for improvement with him of course. I think he could drive a harder line at times, I mean we get overs on some deals and drastic unders on others.... I know that's the landscape but I think we settle at times.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We pretty much got value for Keath. You could argue it was slight unders but we weren't getting a first rounder for him.
With a second back, yeah we should have. They gave him a 4 year $600k plus contract, that shows you his worth.

Plus do you think we held out with 5 mins to go for pick 45?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
With a second back, yeah we should have. They gave him a 4 year $600k plus contract, that shows you his worth.

Plus do you think we held out with 5 mins to go for pick 45?
600K is less than Lever, plus he's nearly 8 years older than Jake was. If we think we got overs for him, which we did, then we got market value for Keath.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
600K is less than Lever, plus he's nearly 8 years older than Jake was. If we think we got overs for him, which we did, then we got market value for Keath.
$600 plus, 4 year deal. We got 2 firsts for Lever and gave a second back.

We got 45 for Keath, ignore next year’s pick swap, those picks will be very close.

Again it boils down to this, why did we wait until the end of the trade period to accept Keaths “value”? Do you think the Bulldogs weren’t even offering that?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

We got 45 for Keath, ignore next year’s pick swap, those picks will be very close.

Again it boils down to this, why did we wait until the end of the trade period to accept Keaths “value”? Do you think the Bulldogs weren’t even offering that?
I do yeah, they held the "He needed surgery" card and Ken Wood was in all likelihood going to let them play it.

I would've wanted a pick in the 30s.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks

Reid had to sit and wait until Bruce and the pick more suitable went.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do yeah, they held the "He needed surgery" card and Ken Wood was in all likelihood going to let them play it.

I would've wanted a pick in the 30s.
Come on, that’s bulldust. No way were they not even offering 45.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Come on, that’s bulldust. No way were they not even offering 45.
I reckon that's all they offered. You also have to factor in what we offered the guy..... a 2 year deal on less money per year.

Dogs could quite easily have said "you want 13 but you're only offering a 2 year deal, we'll give you 45". If we REALLY wanted him we wouldn't have low balled him. Puts you in an awkward bargaining position.

To me it's clear we don't want to pay 3rd tall defenders big coin. Does worry me somewhat when suitors come calling for Tom Doedee, but his age profile and a new coach who loves intercept marking may help.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon that's all they offered. You also have to factor in what we offered the guy..... a 2 year deal on less money per year.

Dogs could quite easily have said "you want 13 but you're only offering a 2 year deal, we'll give you 45". If we REALLY wanted him we wouldn't have low balled him. Puts you in an awkward bargaining position.

To me it's clear we don't want to pay 3rd tall defenders big coin. Does worry me somewhat when suitors come calling for Tom Doedee, but his age profile and a new coach who loves intercept marking may help.
But it wouldn’t have been just 13, they would have got 23 back.

There’s no way anyone can say we did well with the Keath trade.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
But it wouldn’t have been just 13, they would have got 23 back.

There’s no way anyone can say we did well with the Keath trade.
I don't think we did well as such, we got what we deserved given the length of contract we offered.

They didn't want that deal you proposed, I can completely understand that too. Whilst they are a good young side, they can't afford to give up a first rounder.

The question then remains, would he have played for us again if we didn't get a deal done, or would he have gone to the draft ??

Adding a pick next year with our NGA and FS prospects was clearly the aim.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we did well as such, we got what we deserved given the length of contract we offered.

They didn't want that deal you proposed, I can completely understand that too. Whilst they are a good young side, they can't afford to give up a first rounder.

The question then remains, would he have played for us again if we didn't get a deal done, or would he have gone to the draft ??

Adding a pick next year with our NGA and FS prospects was clearly the aim.
They got back pick 23.

The question remains, would another club have picked him up at the draft and had he not got to the Bulldogs who clearly valued him and need him to give 2020 a real shake.

Except we didn’t add a pick next year, we gave back a third which odds are will be an early third rounder and the second we got will odds on be a late second rounder.

It was a s**t trade.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
They got back pick 23.

The question remains, would another club have picked him up at the draft and had he not got to the Bulldogs who clearly valued him and need him to give 2020 a real shake.

Except we didn’t add a pick next year, we gave back a third which odds are will be an early third rounder and the second we got will odds on be a late second rounder.

It was a s**t trade.
I'd say the 2 sides will finish in similar positions TBH.

They are more than an Alex Keath and Josh Bruce away from a flag IMO, I can't see them jumping too many places.

Disagree it was a s**t trade, some people here just had stars in their eyes.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd say the 2 sides will finish in similar positions TBH.

They are more than an Alex Keath and Josh Bruce away from a flag IMO, I can't see them jumping too many places.

Disagree it was a s**t trade, some people here just had stars in their eyes.
Young team who found their mojo in the second half of the year to make the finals, have added 2 players to cover glaring weaknesses and who should only get better, versus a team who has lost players, with largely untried youngsters and little depth, you’re pretty optimistic there.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Young team who found their mojo in the second half of the year to make the finals, have added 2 players to cover glaring weaknesses and who should only get better, versus a team who has lost players, with largely untried youngsters and little depth, you’re pretty optimistic there.

I can’t see us being worse. Our season tanked when we started loading up with our senior guys as the smell of September wafted across West Lakes.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think they'll be good, but who are they overtaking ?? Geelong perhaps, Collingwood maybe. Can't see them overtaking WC, Giants, Richmond or Brisbane

As for us, you've taken a funny view considering you (and most of us TBF) think we wasted our time with older guys and the youth would've provided more. That alone suggests we should be at least as good. New coaches, a top end draft pick and a team full of youthful exuberance. Will be an inconsistent year but our best is still good enough to be around the 7th-11th spot.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think they'll be good, but who are they overtaking ?? Geelong perhaps, Collingwood maybe. Can't see them overtaking WC, Giants, Richmond or Brisbane

As for us, you've taken a funny view considering you (and most of us TBF) think we wasted our time with older guys and the youth would've provided more. That alone suggests we should be at least as good. New coaches, a top end draft pick and a team full of youthful exuberance. Will be an inconsistent year but our best is still good enough to be around the 7th-11th spot.
Delusional

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

We’ve wasted our time for the very reason we find ourselves in, old guys gone and no games into the kids. To then except them to come in all at once and perform is not how you develop the squad.

In 12 months they will be better, as they would have been this year had we played them.

Now with an average injury run we have no depth tested.

Sep 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reid is the classic industry networker.. keep your nose clean don't rock the boat and ride the wave $$
Probably served the sangas to the big boys during trade period lunch breaks.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve wasted our time for the very reason we find ourselves in, old guys gone and no games into the kids. To then except them to come in all at once and perform is not how you develop the squad.

In 12 months they will be better, as they would have been this year had we played them.

Now with an average injury run we have no depth tested.
Don’t disagree with most of that EC.

I would just add in that I do think our younger players are a bit better developed for having had a successful SANFL season. Played a lot of good footy together, went deep into finals.

It’s not AFL experience of course, but I’m pretty confident our key 2018 draftees will be ready to roll and make good contributions next year

Back