Free Agency Sam Gray [DFA, signed with Sydney]

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the knock on him? We are a team crying out for a small forward (betts is a 1 year player, max 2).

Would have happily given a 3rd rounder.

But why isnt he liked more at the Power?

He's far better in the midfield than as a stand alone small forward is why. He always played better at least when he pushed up the ground than spending more time inside 50. He deserves a home somewhere though...

What's the knock on him? We are a team crying out for a small forward (betts is a 1 year player, max 2).

Would have happily given a 3rd rounder.

But why isnt he liked more at the Power?
He is liked by the coach because he keeps getting picked. He wants a longer contract for more security being 28 next year. Port won’t give him what he wants.

I think he got screwed over with the trades being held up, especially Papley, so he is left in limbo. I hope he stays at Port even if it’s only for a year. He puts in his all even if he isn’t that skilful and is valuable depth to compete with the kids.

Y
He doesn’t want to leave, was just using other offers to try to bluff port into a bigger contract and port didn’t bite.
Will be interesting to see if he takes ports offer or buggers off.

Absolutely take Grey at CFC would be a wise addition as DFA another good foot soldier help mentor and protect the youngsters.

Like it.
Solid AFL standard to date without setting it alight. Perhaps not played to his strengths by Port who knows.
Just the type to add pressure on a young developing group of flankers and mids. He'll get every chance.
Can see him starting 22 next year. Need a cpl of more experienced heads rotating thru middle and high HF.
Taylor and Gray added. Happier now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few years ago we ran both Grays in the midfield and they dominated.
When Sam is in the centre he does great work. He's a lot stronger than he looks and he gives everything. True club man

Strange Carlton didn't have him there as a back up to Papley not working out. They are a similar type of player.

One played 39 games in the last two seasons, the other two. If it was up to me I'd take two years of Gray and 0 years of McKenzie, but it's not up to me. Good pick up for the Swans.

Sam Gray is a decidedly average footballer and the fact that he played so many games over the last two years says more about the shambolic state our club is in than it does about his football ability.

If it was up to me neither Sam Gray or McKenzie would be on our list next year, but given the choice between McKenzie for one year or Gray for two I'm happy with how things played out. Hopefully neither will be on our list in 2021.

Sam Gray is a decidedly average footballer and the fact that he played so many games over the last two years says more about the shambolic state our club is in than it does about his football ability.

If it was up to me neither Sam Gray or McKenzie would be on our list next year, but given the choice between McKenzie for one year or Gray for two I'm happy with how things played out. Hopefully neither will be on our list in 2021.

Maybe so, but you rarely get better by axing players in your best 22 from the list and retaining those that are not - with the exception of those who are up and coming. Who was he keeping out? None of the 2018 draftees seemed starved of opportunity.

Wylie Buzza is a decidedly average footballer and you added him to your senior list. Cam Sutcliffe is a decidedly average footballer and you added him to your rookie list mid year. Port's list management decisions in recent years have been interesting to say the least. 10 debutants 25 or over since 2016, 4 of whom are no longer on the list. 12-10-14-12-11 wins, are you getting better or worse?

Maybe so, but you rarely get better by axing players in your best 22 from the list and retaining those that are not - with the exception of those who are up and coming. Who was he keeping out? None of the 2018 draftees seemed starved of opportunity.

If Billy Frampton had been given even a quarter of Sam's gametime over the last couple of years, he'd probably still be on our list. Todd Marshall spent over half the year in the SANFL. Kane Farrell averaged more goals per game than Sam Gray this year but only played 7 AFL games to Sam Gray's 20. Playing any one of those three at AFL level over Sam Gray over the last couple of years would've made little to no difference to our AFL fortunes over that time but would now have us better placed for the future.

Wylie Buzza is a decidedly average footballer and you added him to your senior list. Cam Sutcliffe is a decidedly average footballer and you added him to your rookie list mid year. Port's list management decisions in recent years have been interesting to say the least. 10 debutants 25 or over since 2016, 4 of whom are no longer on the list. 12-10-14-12-11 wins, are you getting better or worse?

We're not getting better OR worse. Largely because Hinkley continues to put his faith in mature players like Sam Gray, or Matthew Broadbent, or post 2017 Paddy Ryder, who are average at best footballers with no potential to get any better, which has us stuck in perpetual midtable mediocrity. I'm more than happy to see the back of all three. I'd also be happy to see the back of the likes of Sutcliffe, McKenzie, Mayes, Westhoff, Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, but I guess you can't get rid of everyone at once.

Last edited:
Like it.
Solid AFL standard to date without setting it alight. Perhaps not played to his strengths by Port who knows.
Just the type to add pressure on a young developing group of flankers and mids. He'll get every chance.
Can see him starting 22 next year. Need a cpl of more experienced heads rotating thru middle and high HF.
Taylor and Gray added. Happier now.
His a goer bust his arse every game has his limitations but I think he could be better suited in the guts knows how to find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back