Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok, from what I have been told.
Pic' s are from an overseas holiday. He's spent a heap of time in the gym off season, but that's obvious. He has good range in his ankle and is tracking about 2-4 weeks in front. A sports trainer mate reckons the swelling around the ankle ( sent him that pic) could be a range of things, scar tissue, which is normal or swelling, looks like he's been on beaches a bit. Doesn't appear to look to bad.
Would expect him to be on the "g" machine for a couple of weeks and then maybe on the track for light work in December.
Hopefully he'll come back quicker than he left off, he looks very strong in the core and he was a good runner as a junior.
Hopefully the club will come out with an update soon, on him, Walker, BJ, Maj and EVW.

Ok, from what I have been told.
Pic' s are from an overseas holiday. He's spent a heap of time in the gym off season, but that's obvious. He has good range in his ankle and is tracking about 2-4 weeks in front. A sports trainer mate reckons the swelling around the ankle ( sent him that pic) could be a range of things, scar tissue, which is normal or swelling, looks like he's been on beaches a bit. Doesn't appear to look to bad.
Would expect him to be on the "g" machine for a couple of weeks and then maybe on the track for light work in December.
Hopefully he'll come back quicker than he left off, he looks very strong in the core and he was a good runner as a junior.
Hopefully the club will come out with an update soon, on him, Walker, BJ, Maj and EVW.

I read an interview with him when he was drafted where he talked about his improvement in vertical jumping possibly coming from all the core work he did while injured.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Just guessing (seeing the players are officially on holidays).

cottesloe-beach-perth-western-australia-.jpg

Hopefully he's able to pump out a few repeat beach sprints on his time off anyway.
Would have though running on sand would be the last thing in the world you’d do for an Achilles injury!

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I read an interview with him when he was drafted where he talked about his improvement in vertical jumping possibly coming from all the core work he did while injured.
His results at the combine were a surprise considering the time away from sport in the lead up to his draft year. He was a very good basketballer as well as footballer in his junior year's, but he was out of sport for about 16 months. He works hard on his fitness and skills something that all his coaches made comment on, and Sumo was more than happy with his performance through the carnival . If you talk to the guy you can tell he has his head screwed on right, but he's been bloody unlucky with injuries. I'll back him to build into something good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have though running on sand would be the last thing in the world you’d do for an Achilles injury!

It was a joke Dingers. If he’s pumping out beach sprints he’s waaaaaay ahead of schedule, to the point of being ready to go. That’s what I was hoping for.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By the way, for that insane alarmist element around here who believe that footballers should be flogging themselves to death every spare second they have in a day, I am not in any way insinuating that Kyron is not doing everything according to his rehab instructions. I know how you folks relish the opportunity to dive on this stuff and bring out your whips. Bad achilles injuries require a lot of rest before engaging in a strength program, and Kyron is no bludger as was proven by his hard work to improve his endurance and make an AFL debut.

I'm just pointing out that wondering at the kids "pecs" is a bit misleading.

I hope he's back playing some level of footy in the first half of the season, and shows improvement from then on.

Good post. Probably also worth noting that after major surgeries like this, even with training, the relevant muscles just do not respond well for a couple of years.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Good post. Probably also worth noting that after major surgeries like this, even with training, the relevant muscles just do not respond well for a couple of years.

Cheers.

You have to watch out for giving the training track WBC's any footholds.

There's nothing wrong with Kyrons work rate considering where he has come from as a 16 year old to a promising AFL debut last year.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Groin guru & others in the know, what is the typical rehab schedule for a bad achilles rupture?

I’m no expert on the matter but I’ve heard that doing your knee is better than doing your Achilles.
Look at spitta- he was never the same player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back