Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Phenomenal stats by Dew considering that he wasn’t a forward.
Phenomenal stats by Dew considering that he wasn’t a forward.
I know some people get stuck into Westhoff but imagine if he played his whole career as a forward, say an extra 22 goals a season would put him near the top of that list. Considering he's been used as a swing man, he has consistently been okay goal wise over a long period.

Comment made that Geelong's Gryan Miers' stats weren't that far off Rozee's, and he helped his team reach a minor premiership. To that I say; put Miers in Port's forward-line and put Rozee in Geelong's and see how they perform. Surround Rozee with a compotent structure and good delivery and he would've been even better than he was in his first year. Throw Gryan to the wolves and I don't think people would even try comparing him with Connor. Not to discredit Gryan though, I think he's going to be a solid player, he's just a symptom of the consistent overrating of Victorian talent compared to interstate talent.

Poor Luke Darcy has had to explain why he gave Connor Rozee 5 votes ahead of Sam Walsh. I mean seriously, you're not allowed to have a divergent opinion any more? It's not like he took a s**t on a picture of Walsh.

“I was getting a fair bit of feedback on this right across the week to be honest with you," Darcy said on Triple M.

"Sam Walsh has been extraordinary. No doubt about it.

"But I have watched Connor Rozee closely this year and I think his first up year has been one of the best I have seen.

"Drafted as a half back, they taught him how to play forward. He’s kicked 30 goals."

Darcy said Rozee's impact as a small forward weighed in his favour.

“I valued the goals aspect of it so highly and what he was able to do," he said. "I reckon playing small forward first year is the hardest role to play. That doesn’t diminish Sam Walsh."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ive-coverage/a525ea1f2e28af6aed8d8c0661f909a4

I wonder where all the pundits that gave so much weight to Walsh playing in the middle were when SPP had his debut season.

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

I know some people get stuck into Westhoff but imagine if he played his whole career as a forward, say an extra 22 goals a season would put him near the top of that list. Considering he's been used as a swing man, he has consistently been okay goal wise over a long period.

If he played his whole career forward, he would kick on average 10 goals less a year.

This is the Westhoff paradox. He will kick more goals played anywhere but as a permanent forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comment made that Geelong's Gryan Miers' stats weren't that far off Rozee's, and he helped his team reach a minor premiership. To that I say; put Miers in Port's forward-line and put Rozee in Geelong's and see how they perform. Surround Rozee with a compotent structure and good delivery and he would've been even better than he was in his first year. Throw Gryan to the wolves and I don't think people would even try comparing him with Connor. Not to discredit Gryan though, I think he's going to be a solid player, he's just a symptom of the consistent overrating of Victorian talent compared to interstate talent.

Miers is a gun, albeit a year older he'd go well in any side. I do think Rozee has greater potential thanks to his athletic gifts (quicker than Miers) and overhead ability but Miers will be a super effective player for a long time. Doesn't fumble.

Poor Luke Darcy has had to explain why he gave Connor Rozee 5 votes ahead of Sam Walsh. I mean seriously, you're not allowed to have a divergent opinion any more? It's not like he took a s**t on a picture of Walsh.
Geez, don't make me like Darcy....

Actually, nah, I can't do it... I just need a 2016 GF reminder, or any Saturday night....

What do we think about Rozee wanting to play an outside mid role until his body gets a bit bigger than wants an on the ball role.. im all for a player to be played as a dual position player but only if that player isn't a stand out in his current role. Rozee most definitely will be our next best forward

What do we think about Rozee wanting to play an outside mid role until his body gets a bit bigger than wants an on the ball role.. im all for a player to be played as a dual position player but only if that player isn't a stand out in his current role. Rozee most definitely will be our next best forward
We need more quality outside mid's so I don't have a problem with it. If we had a decent forward structure (HA!), then a small forward isn't going to be as big a difference as a quality outside mid to the team.

We need more quality outside mid's so I don't have a problem with it. If we had a decent forward structure (HA!), then a small forward isn't going to be as big a difference as a quality outside mid to the team.

Going with our current coaching philosophies he'll either be Full Forward or Half Back Flank......

Hes played in a defensive role before can play 3 out of the 4 positions on the field apparently. Until we have a KPF who runs for coleman and a HF who can kick a few each game plus a hand full of genuine small forwards we wont be able to lose our leading goal kicker. Rozee with the body could become the next Cripps IMO and yes our mid is average at best and needs a Rozee boost but our forward structure is absolutely puss

Hes played in a defensive role before can play 3 out of the 4 positions on the field apparently. Until we have a KPF who runs for coleman and a HF who can kick a few each game plus a hand full of genuine small forwards we wont be able to lose our leading goal kicker. Rozee with the body could become the next Cripps IMO and yes our mid is average at best and needs a Rozee boost but our forward structure is absolutely puss

Rozee won't ever be cripps-like, he's just not that sort of player. He could be Fyfe-like though if he was to reach superstar status, as his ability in the air is incredible as is his speed and cleaness at taking a ground ball.

I'm not convinced with our development team, but last years recruits look like brilliant recruiting. Both rozee and butters have truly elite potential, and Duursma is already a bonafide leader.

With the young guys back at training, Connor Rozee got to be in charge of the feeding the chooks process and did the media rounds yesterday. Last 30 seconds or so of his interview on 5AA yesterday caught my attention. Asked if he went away on holiday he said, "I did get away. I went to Europe with my mate Jack Lukosius, so we got away for 3 weeks up there. It was good fun ...... we went to Spain, Greece, Paris and London"

Luko still hasn't signed that 2nd contract yet.

Last edited:
Rozee won't ever be cripps-like, he's just not that sort of player. He could be Fyfe-like though if he was to reach superstar status, as his ability in the air is incredible as is his speed and cleaness at taking a ground ball.

I'm not convinced with our development team, but last years recruits look like brilliant recruiting. Both rozee and butters have truly elite potential, and Duursma is already a bonafide leader.
Im not too convinced with Butters yet. Rozee 100% will be an elite. Duursma will more than likely become an elite but 100% fan favourite plus a highlight reel star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back