West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

lol...now all of a sudden youve become a quasi psychologist...wonders will never cease

Just logic mate. If you really believed that West Coast were going to be irrelevant next year like you're claiming, you would have no need to be in here talking us down.

Feelsgoodman.

mate i dont barrack for them,you supposedly do,if you dont know who they are by now then theres no helping you
Just confirms you're an unfunny troll then. Making stupid claims while refusing to back them up.

'Hurn and Kennedy are the only two in the first 22 on the down-swing'
'lol nah u guys have at least 6 lol u stupid'
'Which 6?'
'lol u figure it out idiot'

Done with you.
mate i donk give a snakes hiss about WCE ..i thought that be obvious by now

your talking as if you are the premiers...lol...u n yur mate there

LOL. As soon as you're asked to substantiate your claim, you get completely shown up as being a toothless tiger sprouting nonsense.

The ED pills must've gone to your head, old man.

This is just some observations from the two games I saw West Coast play in person in 2020:
  • West Coasts backline struggles against the high ball. The combinations of both Lynch/Riewoldt & Hawkins/Esava made the backline look nervous & they made too many mistakes in both games
  • Liam Ryan had the worst first quarter of football I saw in person last year in the semi final Vs Geelong. He had NO impact on that game when the game was in doubt. I personally don’t think he’s got much heart & will need to step up to cover for the loss of Gatorade boy.
  • Nic Nat can’t run out a whole game (from what I saw in the Geelong game) and very few clubs can carry a resting ruckman

This is just some observations from the two games I saw West Coast play in person in 2020:
  • West Coasts backline struggles against the high ball. The combinations of both Lynch/Riewoldt & Hawkins/Esava made the backline look nervous & they made too many mistakes in both games
  • Liam Ryan had the worst first quarter of football I saw in person last year in the semi final Vs Geelong. He had NO impact on that game when the game was in doubt. I personally don’t think he’s got much heart & will need to step up to cover for the loss of Gatorade boy.
  • Nic Nat can’t run out a whole game (from what I saw in the Geelong game) and very few clubs can carry a resting ruckman

Jeremy McGovern is the competition's leading intercept marker and Barrass and Sheppard aren't slouches in the air either, so dot point one makes no sense. Liam Ryan is probably the hardest working forward in our team, as is expected with a player that puts in the effort mistakes are made, so dot point two also makes little sense.

Fair enough on the third point though.

These are actually decent observations and deserve a considered response.

That's true in those games. Barrass in particular seemed vulnerable and had moments of panic. He was apparently carrying a ligament injury to his hand in the last part of the year. Could have affected his ability to spoil/mark and affected his confidence. Defence isn't 6 1v1's its 6v6. If there is one weak link the whole system breaks down. End of the year Barrass was a weak link.

In 2018 GF his ability to shutdown Cox in the first half is what kept us close enough to end up winning.

Everyone sucked in the first quarter. I was also at that game, and there were few signs of life from anyone in our team in first quarter.

About Ryan in particular, I wasn't a huge fan of Ryan in 2018. Thought he was flashy but lacked heart in the contest. He really improved in that area in 2019 and I was really impressed by his attitude to continue working on areas of his game to get better. The SF against Geelong was 24 hours after the Rioli situation surfaced. I am sure it had an emotional impact on the whole team, but no doubt it affected Ryan and Jetta the most. I wouldn't read too much in one game given the context.
Nic Nat needs a pre-season. You can see from the games he did play that he has the ability to impact the game. If you watch the any of the other games he played (derby, Pies, Essendon EF) it is clear that he gets the midfield on the front foot. 2018 we had two rucks and won the flag. We could go with either NN and Hickey, or if NicNat can get his ToG to 60% + we could use Oscar Allen as third tall and pinch hit in the ruck.

Last edited:
First point is fair for those 2 games. Our tall defenders, particularly Barrass, had some problems in the last month of the season.

I haven't re-watched the semi final, but my recollection is that Liam Ryan was a big reason we managed to pull ourselves back into the game in the first half after our very poor start. You're right that he completely fell out of it towards the end, but young small forwards do tend to go missing and he had spent a few petrol tickets. So I think its a bit harsh to single him out.

Yeah, can't argue with the last point. But if there is one ruckman in the game worth his salt on reduced minutes it's NN. I'm not sure if he had much to do with the losses you mentoned, though. I reckon that's much more point 1.

Jeremy McGovern is the competition's leading intercept marker and Barrass and Sheppard aren't slouches in the air either, so dot point one makes no sense.

Based on statistics that may be true-- but they got shown up by Esava Ratugolea in the semi final. It was the first time in his career that kid had ever kicked three goals. IMO the lack of ability by the WCE defenders to shut down Hawkins & Ratugolea played a big part in the reason they lost the semi final.

I haven't re-watched the semi final, but my recollection is that Liam Ryan was a big reason we managed to pull ourselves back into the game in the first half after our very poor start. You're right that he completely fell out of it towards the end, but young small forwards do tend to go missing and he had spent a few petrol tickets. So I think its a bit harsh to single him out.

It's not his fourth quarter of the Semi Final I'm critical of-- it's his first half. In the first half he barely played with any intent. He had his hands on his hips and jogging when he should've been running. There was at least 5-6 50/50 contests where he not only did't get to the ball in time; but didn't even lay a tackle. There was a stage about 20 minutes into the second quarter where his stat sheet read 0 Disposals, 0 tackles, 2 Free's Against. I remember talking about this with the Eagles supporters sitting behind me-- they were fuming at Liam Ryan for not giving an effort. I agree with you that he did improve as the game went on-- was a bit of the barometer for your side. But you really expect more from any player during the first quarter of a sudden death final than what he gave.

Yeah, can't argue with the last point. But if there is one ruckman in the game worth his salt on reduced minutes it's NN. I'm not sure if he had much to do with the losses you mentoned, though. I reckon that's much more point 1.

It's less about Nic Nat and more that carrying Tom Hickey in the team becomes a liability. He got beaten in the ruck; but was decent around the ground Vs Richmond in R22. But he looked 'lost' around the ground a couple of times during the Semi Final Vs Geelong. If one of the comments is going to be the West Coast runs out of legs in games-- your second ruck needs to spend more time on the ground contributing than taking a spot on the bench.

Based on statistics that may be true-- but they got shown up by Esava Ratugolea in the semi final. It was the first time in his career that kid had ever kicked three goals. IMO the lack of ability by the WCE defenders to shut down Hawkins & Ratugolea played a big part in the reason they lost the semi final.

Yeah the last month for our defence was poor (Barrass was playing injured, teams worked out how to stop McGovern), but I'd write it off as an aberration. It certainly isn't an area of weakness.

look all those previous games mean nought,just as richmonds previous games with collingwood,gws & geelong earlier this year when they all thrashed us
& we ended pulling all there pants down including west coast after qtr time when it counted,im enjoying west coasts over confidence in that they think kelly is the answer to all theyre problems....guess what..the midfield is & has never been your problem,this is what west coast supporters dont understand
Your "Strange Cat" in your other guise.

guess what..the midfield is & has never been your problem,this is what west coast supporters dont understand
mate i donk give a snakes hiss about WCE ..i thought that be obvious by now
And yet you THINK you know what WCs problem areas are...you'd be better off letting the Tiger supporters that aren't trying to troll discuss the topic.

Last edited:
So how are you going to win the premiership in 2020 if your boys were too tired to play decent footy in August & September in 2019??
Very true, how is the million dollar question. It is hugely difficult for an Interstate side to snatch the mug. Hopefully through sheer hard work and no injury we just might, maybe, maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not his fourth quarter of the Semi Final I'm critical of-- it's his first half. In the first half he barely played with any intent. He had his hands on his hips and jogging when he should've been running. There was at least 5-6 50/50 contests where he not only did't get to the ball in time; but didn't even lay a tackle. There was a stage about 20 minutes into the second quarter where his stat sheet read 0 Disposals, 0 tackles, 2 Free's Against. I remember talking about this with the Eagles supporters sitting behind me-- they were fuming at Liam Ryan for not giving an effort. I agree with you that he did improve as the game went on-- was a bit of the barometer for your side. But you really expect more from any player during the first quarter of a sudden death final than what he gave.
His first quarter was poor, which happens often with small forwards when their team is struggling.

His second quarter was superb, but he did fade after that.

Your observations about our defence are correct for the latter half of the year. Normally we eat high balls for breakfast, but unfortunately Barrass found himself horribly out of form, the game he had against Richmond would have been a confidence killer. There are mitigating circumstances, he didn't have a preseason, then his foot was re-injured/didn't heal properly early in the year. A reality check could be what he needs though.

Barrass being vulnerable set of a chain reaction for our other interceptors including McGovern and Sheppard with the security blanket not being effective. Thus our defence was much more leaky.

In all seriousness. No matter how the competition is configured, teams from Perth are likely to have to travel further than others. Either relocate east, or stop complaining. What's it going to be?
Alf not vfl.

Fyfe never ‘went’ to freo. He was given a poison chalice and cursed to Fremantle.

All Eagles need to worry about is not getting to far in front of themselves.
Eagles have bigger challenges and more to worry about than their perceived threat - Richmond. Tigers are in a blessed position right now with list depth that when everyone is fit and firing others look with envy. We have far less to worry about.
Teams are working out McGovern and his influence can decline markedly if chopped out of games. Kennedy is a champ and back him in but you need him and darling firing together to create havoc and plenty of fodder for Ryan. If Kennedy struggles so will the Eagles. Kelly is the bonus that may just equalise any deficiencies. Being spoon fed by natanui could see games played for fun and record inside 50s. The trap is thinking Kelly will solve any worries and automatically put you in contention for a flag or be flag favourites. And will nicnat stay fit. He’s good for tap work and bursts of good footy but to unreliable around the ground. You would hope he stays on the park.
Otherwise, always be wary of getting to far in front of yourselves and think everything is hunky dory because you have Kelly.

Out on a limb I think you miss top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back