Wayne Campbell Set to Depart the Giants

I think Cambo gets a bit of bad rap at times, he doesn't suffer fools gladly and his sense of humour is as dry it comes, and that doesn't always bode well in a footy club. That probably doesn't help his man management, but as a footballer he was a craftsman. He had good times at the Bulldogs and was well thought of there, it just depends how many decent thinkers there are around him. He can easily seem a bit aloof from my limited experience.

I'll wager his fallout will stem somehow from the Toby Greene sagas and how that prize fool was ultimately managed. I think Cambo would work well with Al Clarkson at Hawthorn.

Think you would find, Danger, the opinions of Campbell on here by a lot of posters who change overnight if he was welcomed back into the fold in some capacity ... especially in 12 months time if we'd landed another flag with him on board.
And with you .. hated Dimma as a player.

Would change if he got a gig with us and helped us land Jeremy Cameron. 😏

No_Spoke

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, right on the money there. His kicking often (not always, but often) resembled a kid booting a balloon. They would just float through the air seeming to take forever to arrive at the the destination, by which time numerous opponents had found their way into position and were looking at their watches waiting for the ball to land.

Anyone who plays 297 games for this club IS a Tiger legend and I know he gave it all in his time at the joint and did play many fine games but I just never warmed to him. I might be (and hope) I'm wrong but there was always an air of "Well, I'm stuck with this rabble for now, might as well do my best until I can get out" about him.

Or just plain old loyalty

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Or just plain old loyalty

You are most probably right and I wish my feelings for Wayne were stronger than they are. However, once made captain his taciturn attitude remained a turnoff. Okay, that's just his dry personality. But let's compare him to Trent who, let's face it, has been overall rather ineffectual on field as a player for a couple of years. YET, he does the important, team-lifting things, he presents to camera with calm and poise and offers hope and confidence. He also looks good - clean and professional. Image is 100% in this caper. Wayne, as captain, always looked miserable and that any public appearance was a hated chore. He had the look of a skipper who knew we would most often lose but we would give our all. To me it occasionally came across as "If I wasn't stuck with these turkeys we'd do a hell of a lot better". Even Knighta who was far from the most media-savvy captain going at least painted a picture of glory down the track. But no, not misery-guts Wayne.

No_Spoke

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
You are most probably right and I wish my feelings for Wayne were stronger than they are. However, once made captain his taciturn attitude remained a turnoff. Okay, that's just his dry personality. But let's compare him to Trent who, let's face it, has been overall rather ineffectual on field as a player for a couple of years. YET, he does the important, team-lifting things, he presents to camera with calm and poise and offers hope and confidence. He also looks good - clean and professional. Image is 100% in this caper. Wayne, as captain, always looked miserable and that any public appearance was a hated chore. He had the look of a skipper who knew we would most often lose but we would give our all. To me it occasionally came across as "If I wasn't stuck with these turkeys we'd do a hell of a lot better". Even Knighta who was far from the most media-savvy captain going at least painted a picture of glory down the track. But no, not misery-guts Wayne.

To be fair, he had that look/persona at gws as well. He was captain, and then held management roles so he's obviously regarded as competent and driven. Cotch for mine is at another level of most captains.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The whole club from recruiting to the facilities was a basket case in those days. The only thing that made it worthwhile were the amazing feats of Richo, the class of Knights and the bravery of the Kellaways. I'd imagine Campbell would loved to be in Cotchin's shoes, even for just one season. Well, not 2016.

That’s mean, I’m full of great insight and intelligence and love and good things Richmond ect

You only think it is. Since when is patting someone on the back for a post mean, other than in your own mind. We can but hope now that the Ellis thread is over and out......... Onwards and upwards mate!

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
You only think it is. Since when is patting someone on the back for a post mean, other than in your own mind. We can but hope now that the Ellis thread is over and out......... Onwards and upwards mate!

We will lose to Gold Coast now we don’t have Ellis

Back