BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Gould will be a slider according to BigFooty, but not to those in the know. Not that I agree, but I think recruiters will outsmart themselves.

I wouldn't be upset if we took him at 10 and if we get past ten our 2020 round one would be on the table for him.

He screams "footballer" to me

Interesting to see where you view Worrall playing.

I see him as a long term Westhoff replacement. I prefer him either up forward or on a wing.

Pick 21 - Richmond - Will Day
West Adelaide/South Australia | Defender
06/05/2001 | 189cm | 76kg

Day is one of those half-backs with a good size in terms of height, but has to add bulk to his frame. Really rate the kid and think he has a high upside. The reason behind the selection for the Tigers is two-fold. First-off, Day is best available in my eyes, and secondly, Day can fit that Brandon Ellis departure, with a few more tricks. He is not a day one player, but in saying that, I think he is a player who will put his best foot forward and develop quickly in the Tigers' camp. He will fill the void of a lovely kick on either side, and his athleticism is superb for a player at the end of the first round. His footy IQ is also quite high, with his strength and developing more of an inside game - he averages in the 20s for contested possession rate with his 80%-plus efficiency - as areas of improvement. Overall he's a nice packaged player and I think Richmond fans could be excited when he wins the ball.

There is huge bust potential in Gould, but he has performed at every level he's played in the last two years. He's a tough one to read
I worry he could be the next Kieran Collins (being a man playing against children, then struggle to translate form to AFL level), but also feel that Gould has more skill and ability to read the play than Collins did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Gould's dropped 6kg since the combine.

Glenelg premiership defender Will Gould drops the kilos and the skinfolds after combine wake-up call
Glenelg premiership defender Will Gould – described as one of the best leaders in this year’s draft pool – has responded to questions about his fitness by shedding 6kg and slashing his skinfold levels in two weeks.
Admitting to being “a bit rusty’’ at the AFL Draft Combine, which was held just nine days after he helped the Tigers break a 33-year league premiership drought, Gould said he had been stung by some “pretty direct instructions’’ in his meeting with Sydney.
Key defender Gould weighed in at the combine at 106kg and recorded skinfold measurements of 78 after a week of celebrating Glenelg’s long-awaited flag.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 03: Will Gould completes the yoyo test during the 2019 AFL Draft Combine at Margaret Court Arena on October 03, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 03: Will Gould completes the yoyo test during the 2019 AFL Draft Combine at Margaret Court Arena on October 03, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
When he last weighed himself two weeks ago – after he had pulled out of the Tigers’ end-of-season trip to Darwin to focus on his body and the draft – he had dropped to 100kg and his skinfold levels were down to 60.

The Swans had told Gould – SA’s under-18 captain this year – that his skinfolds needed to be measured at 55 or below before a club would draft him.
“There was a little bit of feedback from clubs at the combine,’’ the powerful 18-year-old told The Lowdown AFL Draft Podcast.

“The Swans just said in black and white that I needed to lose a bit of weight and get my skinfolds down to about 55, they were pretty direct with their instructions to get working.
“But I knew I wasn’t going to test that great because the combine had come so soon after the granny and I was still a bit rusty.
“I had a crack and did my best in every single test but for me, what I was doing between the combine to get myself ready for the 27th (draft on November 27) was most important.
“I’m in much better form now than what I was a few weeks ago.’’
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Will Gould of South Australia kicks the ball during the AFL 2019 U18 Championships match between South Australia and the Allies at Marvel Stadium on July 03, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 03: Will Gould of South Australia kicks the ball during the AFL 2019 U18 Championships match between South Australia and the Allies at Marvel Stadium on July 03, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Gould, who should be a first-round draft selection, said it had always been his dream to play AFL and he showed his commitment by not joining his premiership teammates in Darwin.
“I’m really close to all those boys and seeing all their Snapchats showed me what I was missing out on but it will be put in perspective when the draft comes around,’’ he said.
“I’ll do anything I can to play AFL, so it was just a little sacrifice for the bigger picture.’’
SANFL talent manager Brenton Phillips said Gould’s testing numbers in the past few years – “the body of work,’’ he calls it – showed he had an excellent combination of speed, agility and endurance.

Last edited:
Is there a player at AFL level you can see in Gould? I am worried he may end up a slow, undersized defender at AFL level. He also does not have the best agility and I am concerned he will not transition that well at AFL level.
Similar dimensions to recently retired Heath Grundy, who enjoyed a great career

its so hard to get excited about the draft with Essendon entering so late. Looking forward to the next dozen or so picks to see where the leading draft guys rate possible players around our picks.
If the bombers were picking now I would be really confident in securing two good prospects that meet needs and have potential to be above average AFL players. However the 6 I have really identified could conceivably be gone before the bombers enter the draft. I reckon Draft night will be the same way.

If I didn't match the Henry bid earlier, I'd have been all over Elijah Taylor at 22. It's at this point that I'd be exploring a trade up to get either him or Mitch Georgiades.

And trading up for either of those players would be a very astute move .

Rantall was my next choice!! damn that's a pain, he's a beauty.

Apologies for delay was driving fro quite some time.

Pick #24 Adelaide Jeremy Sharp East Fremantle 187cm 79kg

A case of best available here and happens to be what we need after taking a hard inside nut with the first pick, this time a tall and fast outside wing/half back with a good frame.

Sharp caught my eye when I watched him live in the SA V WA Under 18 game at Alberton in 2018, he was more developed than a lot of his peers and showed good dash and football smarts let alone the blonde flowing hair. The game came naturally to him and could see the potential back then. As a player comarison a blend between a quicker Hibberd from Ess with Grant Birchall thrown in.

Fast forward one year and he's more physically developed and has played league footy in the WAFL and played well. He's also earnt dual AA Under 18 honours which is no mean feat.

As a footballer, Sharp is a strong running outside midfielder/half-back with good speed and endurance and very suited to the modern game. He's got a good mark and run type of play he does well, likes to keep things moving and is not afraid to back himself. Takes big strides, and is a good metres gained type of footballer, but even though he is outside he commands a presence about him and has a big frame to develop a powerful AFL body over time, he certainly is blessed with top end genes for muscle development and condition/tone so he'll end up a nice size indeed.

Aside from his run, he's got a decent leg on him, can hoof a footy when required although I would like to see him lower his eyes a bit more and nail those shorter kicks a bit better. Whilst he is sound overhead I wouldn't say he's strong and despite his good frame, he's not one for smashing into the contest, prefers to stay on the outside but I think there is room for improvement there. Also defensively he may get found out a bit as well but again something coaching can breed into him, his tackle numbers are below par atm.

Despite all this I think he could play AFL footy next year and to a good level as his development is fairly rapid and would become a classic half-back flanker to wing for many years with good speed and a good long kick, something the crows still need to bolster with quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back