Reduced Melbourne games in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
People who truly want change and not attention generally go out and do things rather than bleating on the internet to be honest.

I grew up a Vic based Lions supporter and whilst the draw was usually a disappointment I didn’t take it upon myself to log on and sledge the club about it, nor did I picket AFL house because it wasn’t a matter of life or death and I couldn’t control much about the situation.

Unsure how any of the past few pages have been constructive in any way, my own posts included.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People who truly want change and not attention generally go out and do things rather than bleating on the internet to be honest.

I grew up a Vic based Lions supporter and whilst the draw was usually a disappointment I didn’t take it upon myself to log on and sledge the club about it, nor did I picket AFL house because it wasn’t a matter of life or death and I couldn’t control much about the situation.

Unsure how any of the past few pages have been constructive in any way, my own posts included.

If 3KZ couldn’t get McStay dropped there’s no way Dylan will get the AFL to honour the 6 Melbourne games agreement.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If that’s what you read, I can’t help you.

Also must remember that the club doesn’t choose its fixture so it’s misdirected but I do think the club should’ve mentioned their disappointment in the lack of Melbourne games at some point as well as highlighting the positive aspects of the fixture.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Also must remember that the club doesn’t choose its fixture so it’s misdirected but I do think the club should’ve mentioned their disappointment in the lack of Melbourne games at some point as well as highlighting the positive aspects of the fixture.
Agree with this, probably needed to be addressed earlier. What would be ideal is knowing how hard they actually push for 6 games each year but there is very little chance that would actually happen.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
But instead we got Greg Swann telling us Victorian fans that we've been rewarded for getting round one of the season. No mention that for the next five months we only get 3 more games or a three month stretch of no games...for a merged club between a Queensland and Victorian based team. I don't expect you'd get that, but a lot of people in Melbourne are pretty insulted by Swann, acknowledging the fact that Swann or the club didn't draft the draw.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Dylan, you should email the club with your complaint (try to keep it civil). If members/supporters don't make a noise about things of which we disagree, then some manager or administrator makes decisions based purely on business or their own agenda. Remember the paddlepop guernsey?

I have.:thumbsu:

I now look forward to a template generated response.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dylan, you should email the club with your complaint (try to keep it civil). If members/supporters don't make a noise about things of which we disagree, then some manager or administrator makes decisions based purely on business or their own agenda. Remember the paddlepop guernsey?
Just for your info i sent an email to the club last week as well. I know my input will mean nothing but one of my points was you should at least be reducing the Vic membership price this year.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just for your info i sent an email to the club last week as well. I know my input will mean nothing but one of my points was you should at least be reducing the Vic membership price this year.

I'm happy to pay the same again this year as a Vic Member. Vic M'ship isn't really good value anyway, my extra cash goes in the hope it helps the club, it's never been about value. Not going to demand they drop the price, they have done an amazing job this year and totally happy to give them the same support again, regardless of the AFL giving us 1 less game.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm happy to pay the same again this year as a Vic Member. Vic M'ship isn't really good value anyway, my extra cash goes in the hope it helps the club, it's never been about value. Not going to demand they drop the price, they have done an amazing job this year and totally happy to give them the same support again, regardless of the AFL giving us 1 less game.
Thats your view and thats fine. If we all had the same view it would be a very boring world. My wife told me on Friday last week about the negative Lions feedback on SEN radio and people saying " they won't renew their membership " ( whether they actually do it or not is another thing ). You are talking to a person whos mum would take me and my sister to the Junction Oval and sit in the grandstand behind the goals since i was 6. i am now 49 and all our family and my family have been members since the Brisbane lions have formed so we have and will always give them our support. On social media alot of supporters are not happy so it was just to see if Brisbane would just try and change something little to try and appease some of the negative feedback. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thats your view and thats fine. If we all had the same view it would be a very boring world. My wife told me on Friday last week about the negative Lions feedback on SEN radio and people saying " they won't renew their membership " ( whether they actually do it or not is another thing ). You are talking to a person whos mum would take me and my sister to the Junction Oval and sit in the grandstand behind the goals since i was 6. i am now 49 and all our family and my family have been members since the Brisbane lions have formed so we have and will always give them our support. On social media alot of supporters are not happy so it was just to see if Brisbane would just try and change something little to try and appease some of the negative feedback. :thumbsu:

Mate, I didn't say it was not proper you send an email. I actually think the noise on this issue is important, because the club obviously need to sit up and take notice. Maybe they do take us for granted? I doubt the would want to lose the 5k Vic members they have each year, it would severely impact on our already low membership number. I was just voicing where I am at in relation to a topic of cost of the m'ship that has divided Lions Melbourne members in addition to your post.

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
It's interesting looking at the non-merged, non-relocated interstate clubs. Adelaide have 4 + 1 games in Melbourne + Geelong. WCE have 5 + 1, Freo have 4 + 1, GC have 4 + 1 & Port have 5 games in Melbourne & don't go to Geelong. So yep, being a merged Melbourne club has no relevance or importance with the AFL with their fixtures! I didn't look at GWS as it has already been previously mentioned about their Vic games next year.

GunshyFire

Debutant
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was a little disappointed with the VIC membership being frozen with 1 less game in Melbourne, but I'll still end up at the GABBA once or twice so I'll get my value. I think Freo are charging about $160 for a membership with 4 Melbourne games as well, so I won't feel too hard done by.

Edit: Actually I change my mind. The fact our 4 games are almost the same price as an 11-game GA for the GABBA is a rip.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know the club needs to buy the tickets although for the 4 games plus maybe Cats or Hobart or Canberra.
2 Adults and 4 kids $473.
Seeing two of these games Sunday so 4 kids are free.
Pretty sure we miss the dogs night game. I understand the club gets the $ hard to justify.
Will cost me around $150 to go to all 3 games if not a member.

Mate is a pies supporter gets 4 home games for him and 2 kids $205.. I know not our home games. But hard to justify

Looked at Tigers.. Do a country 5 game membership Family inc 4 kids $274

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
I’m a passionate VIC based supporter and I’m pretty disappointed with the lack of games in Melbourne but all this blaming the club and presumption that all of us VIC supporters feel the same is just plain rubbish.

Swann has done an amazing job I think, to take us from a literal basket case only a few years ago to where we are today is quite remarkable, while there is still more work to do I feel the club is in capable hands and that’s the least we can ask for.

As for the club lobbying the AFL for the 6 game quota, I’m sure they did but I think some on here overestimate our leverage and seem to ignore the fact that we are somewhat beholden to the AFL for their involvement in putting the right people in place to bring the club out of the doldrums, we are just not in a powerful enough position to have the sort of influence that some expect.

Ultimately the aim of the game here is to be a successful entity so I choose to be more focused on that and how the club will deliver it, next year I won’t see as many games live but if we continue to advance and become a genuine contender then I’m sure I’ll hardly notice.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honestly I think we should get 6.. Although reality we do not get 6.
Every year people jump up and down.. It be nice the AFL to help out the club.
Although I am not crazy enough to understand the Tigers and Pies games at the gabba and bombers etc generate a lot of $
Kangaroos in Hobart is annoying either Hawks or Roos in Tassie or Saints in NZ.
Why do we need to go for teams who sell games as you think more people go Roos vs Lions then Roos vs GWS.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, a lot of people would like to know why..
I think GWS gone the last few years.
Although they have 8 games in vic this year for their 2 Melbourne fans :) he he he
Sorry friends went to Grand Final said all the GWS people near them got free tickets and a where opening a new hoodie. They where pissed AFL looked to have given out tickets so the whole ground was not just black and yellow.

Sorry friends went to Grand Final said all the GWS people near them got free tickets and a where opening a new hoodie.
BS on the free tickets.

I can believe the opening of a new hoodie though.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
BS on the free tickets.

I can believe the opening of a new hoodie though.
had 2 different friends go in different areas and both said people opening GWS gear new around them.
Maybe corporate tickets and handed out with gear.
As said they pissed as thought AFL made sure they had people with GWS gear on. Amazing when you win you still pissed off with something :)
Watching on TV for a interstate team that struggles to get 15k to game and they did not fill there GF Members allocation. Seemed a lot of orange in the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back