Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

I would imagine it could be pretty similar to everyone on this board's issue with him. The gameplan is dysfunctional and the ball rarely gets into the forward 50 with any sort of organisation.
Yet Papley played in a Grand Final in his first season.

The one we wee robbed.
Jumping to Carlton would also be a weird choice if it's about a more attacking gameplan. What's Carlton's win/loss look like this decade?

Horse is finally applying a more attacking gameplan so you leave just when he does because you want a more attacking gameplan?

Papley is a fav of mine. Early, not just lately. Mainly because his heritage family history and I admire blokes who are rookied and fight there way into the top 22. (Kirk in the beginning 3 tries to get there was the same)

He had a sensational year but was forced toshine when Buddy was out to be a target, almost a go to KP forward at times.
Carlton obviously had the need (taking fill in Betts) so likely they made the advances (just another Guess)
Then Swans are surprised that Daniher wants out now (immediately) so AND AS STATED clearly the option of move/trade was specifically linked. No desperation it seems???

Unsupported rumours about the head space etc are just that (BS!). He was quoted on record as "I will be professional"
If truly must leave he MUST maintain his value. Reset for 2020 and all is back to normal.
Every man alive has women's problems at some time, sometimes an obsession.
Like Bedders, Bloodied52 and many others, I loved watching Max Papley play.
I was so excited to see Tom sign with the Bloods.
I love watching Tom play.
It is any contracted player's right to request a trade.
Tom requested a trade. He was not traded.
Does Tom's girlfriend have man problems?
It would be nice if discussion was not how Tom's girlfriend "must move to Sydney", or Tom "needs a Sydney girlfriend".
#Respect
#GoBloods #ProudlySydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse probably always insists on being miss Scarlett so he can go first, papley is sick of it

Maybe or maybe not!
Every club has players that are rubbed up the wrong way by their coach for one reason or another.
The more Horse may have rubbed Paps up the wrong way, the better a season 2020 I expect Paps to have.
OR
He just sooks it up with a long face & under performs, in which case, The Carlton Football Club is the perfect home for him, in that they have recruited similar players for 20 years now which has helped create the culture they now enjoy. When you mix top young draft picks with older, long faced, want away 'warrior/recruits' from other clubs, they have an unhealthy influence on these kids.
As talented & free flowing as GWS are as a team, it was the hard in & under slog of a game style that got them the the GF.
Once there, it was the hard fought slog, pushing the ball forward at all costs that won the Tigers the flag.

If teams are using our hard nosed defensive game style as a reason to lure best 22 players away from us, then those particular players will more often than not, enjoy some fairly attacking & clean footy at their new club, take Nick Newman for example, but it's highly unlikely that that style will win a p'ship, let alone consecutive finals which is what they will be confronted with from their opponent that will be using that hard contested brand along with some good finishing to put the icing on the cake.

I trust that Paps will get over it if the really is any issue with Horse.

Well probably! ;)

Maybe or maybe not!
Every club has players that are rubbed up the wrong way by their coach for one reason or another.
The more Horse may have rubbed Paps up the wrong way, the better a season 2020 I expect Paps to have.
OR
He just sooks it up with a long face & under performs, in which case, The Carlton Football Club is the perfect home for him, in that they have recruited similar players for 20 years now which has helped create the culture they now enjoy. When you mix top young draft picks with older, long faced, want away 'warrior/recruits' from other clubs, they have an unhealthy influence on these kids.
As talented & free flowing as GWS are as a team, it was the hard in & under slog of a game style that got them the the GF.
Once there, it was the hard fought slog, pushing the ball forward at all costs that won the Tigers the flag.

If teams are using our hard nosed defensive game style as a reason to lure best 22 players away from us, then those particular players will more often than not, enjoy some fairly attacking & clean footy at their new club, take Nick Newman for example, but it's highly unlikely that that style will win a p'ship, let alone consecutive finals which is what they will be confronted with from their opponent that will be using that hard contested brand along with some good finishing to put the icing on the cake.

Well probably! ;)

If there’s an afl coach who is currently loved 100 percent by his entire playing list it would be a miracle

I'm still optimistic that Paps has a future at the club.

Like Bedders, Bloodied52 and many others, I loved watching Max Papley play.
I was so excited to see Tom sign with the Bloods.
I love watching Tom play.
It is any contracted player's right to request a trade.
Tom requested a trade. He was not traded.
Does Tom's girlfriend have man problems?
It would be nice if discussion was not how Tom's girlfriend "must move to Sydney", or Tom "needs a Sydney girlfriend".
#Respect
#GoBloods #ProudlySydney

I didn't see Max but remember at time of team of the century that many thought he deserved to be in it.

I agree I think the issues have been likely exaggerated and also feel if there was VERY serious desire for move then Swans would have got it done.
Tom seems to have great rapport with Buddy and I think he will get on with it professionally and Harley hinted at post trade time, they will do what they can re player off field welfare, to accommodate his needs whatever they may be?
Which is none of our BF business. Glad he is still a Swan , rooting for him in 2020!!!

The gameplan is dysfunctional and the ball rarely gets into the forward 50 with any sort of organisation.

We were the club with the most marks inside 50 per entry this year, and were fourth for points scored per inside 50, I dunno that this is a valid criticism. When we got it up there, we seemingly had less trouble than most converting our chances, even without Franklin firing much.

I think Tom will be fine

But I think as fans we need to be ready for a lot more player movement as the decades roll

Someone like Papley could have family connections be a life long swans fan and still leave

Don’t get too attached to the individual players imo

Maybe or maybe not!
OR

Well probably! ;)
No one wants to go through a Paps being rubbed up the wrong way :eek:o_O

I think Tom will be fine

But I think as fans we need to be ready for a lot more player movement as the decades roll

Someone like Papley could have family connections be a life long swans fan and still leave

Just order your kids guernsey like this...
1573003962474.png

I think Tom will be fine

Nothing wrong with giving them a serve on the way out in such circumstances I say.
No hard feelings.

We were the club with the most marks inside 50 per entry this year, and were fourth for points scored per inside 50, I dunno that this is a valid criticism. When we got it up there, we seemingly had less trouble than most converting our chances, even without Franklin firing much.

And yet that translated into 15th on the 'Points For' scale beating only the illustrious forward lines of Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton, Fremantle, Melbourne and Gold Coast (in that order)

Maybe, just maybe there simply aren't enough entries into the F50

Just sayin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back