2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Aish is going to be played on a wing and Acres in the guts judging by their various interviews.

Our backline is pretty much set I would of thought. Midfield is good( I have doubts on Darcy though)

The fwd line needs a s**t load of work. Can’t see Tabs/Hogan/McCarthy and Lobb in the same fwd line. Need more pressure acts. Switta needs to learn to kick and have confidence. Walters plays more mid now. Matera is snazzy, but tends to be lazy. Can Sokol come in and be that accurate kick for goal maybe playing 3rd fiddle??? What’s Cox’s future in the AFL? Lots of work to be done.

Sounds like Aish is going to be played on a wing and Acres in the guts judging by their various interviews.

Our backline is pretty much set I would of thought. Midfield is good( I have doubts on Darcy though)

The fwd line needs a s**t load of work. Can’t see Tabs/Hogan/McCarthy and Lobb in the same fwd line. Need more pressure acts. Switta needs to learn to kick and have confidence. Walters plays more mid now. Matera is snazzy, but tends to be lazy. Can Sokol come in and be that accurate kick for goal maybe playing 3rd fiddle??? What’s Cox’s future in the AFL? Lots of work to be done.

I have doubts about Darcy also but don’t believe our forward line needs a lot of work. We have an abundance of talls. It’s basically just structuring them up properly and how many can fit down there at the one time. The only issue is smalls and medium forward depth. Walters and matera aren’t too bad as the smalls but a bit of depth would be good and then there is the mediums which is probably something we need to find.

For me the midfield needs the most work and if we can find a good mix Over the next two years or so we can push deep into the finals. We have a lot of ok mids but we only have one A grader in there coming into 2020. Next trade and free agency period we need to go after a gun midfielder or two. Push as hard as the saints did and loose are top picks even.

Back line big tick

Mid not even a half a tick

Forward line half a tick

We have the bones of a very good side with an extremely talented young backline all under 26. Best spine fremantle has had since 06 with pav, longmuire, sandi, mcpharlin and parker. Young spine with the oldest being tabs and hamling. Our first choice spine has decent depth as well. Good young inside midfield tucker, cerra and brayshaw. So much promise to build around.

I believe we are one succesful draft (filling needs not necessarily stars) away from a premiership. That succesful draft must happen this year or next.

Looking at Port this year, there team improved by starting the new draftees first round. I would like us to do this with 7, 10 and Henry.

Hopefully 7 and 10 are players like Duursma and Rozee, as this is exactly what we need.

FB: Logue - Hamling - Ryan
HB: Wilson - Pearce - Aish
C: <Open> - Fyfe - S Hill
HF: Walters - Hogan - Acres
FF: <Open> - Lobb - <Open>

FOLL: Darcy - Brayshaw - Tucker

INT: <Open> - Mundy - Conca- Cerra

Need a big preseason to find a spot in the 22 : Pick 7, Taberner, Pick 10, Sturt, Blakely, Valente, Matera, Henry

Ryan. Hamling. Wilson

Logue. Pearce. Conca

Tucker Mundy Cerra

Switkowski Lobbe Tabener

Matera Hogan Walters

Darcy
Fyfe
Brayshaw

Acres
Aish
Hill
Blakely

Before the draft in my opinion I like this as our 22. It’s just keeping them injury free. Depth is our biggest issue. But with the likes of Hughes,Cox,Dixon,north,valente,McCarthy ,Sturt,banfield,dunman knocking on the door and the new draftees we just might be able to cover a few guys if someone goes down.

If indeed we do get henry then switkowski might be unlucky but if someone like Robertson comes in who would be the unlucky one from the midfield ?

Currently I am happy with the following

B: Logue Hamling Ryan
HB: Wilson Pearce ?
C: ? ? ?
HF: Walters Taberner Mundy
F: ? Hogan Lobb
R: Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
int: Cerra Duman ? ?

With the following to go in with doubt over where is best for them individually vs team.
Acres, Aish, Blakely, Conca, Hill
And these with some doubt.
Matera, Tucker

I really think that Aish should be HB but there are comments that JLo want him on the wing. I would prefer Hill on the Wing.
After Fyfe's comments at the Brownlow sounds like Conca starts, only place he really fits is C but I am not sold on this.
Acres then goes on the wing but once again comments are that he is better inside?
I remain unconvinced by Matera. Him vs McCarthy.... with McCarthy we're too tall. So with some measure of doubt Matera is in.
I am unsure about Tucker, I would take Colyer on pure pace but Tucker is more versatile. It could go either way. Perhaps this becomes the "youth" spot.
The West had Swita in. I would prefer Colyer but actually booted both for Logue.

We have the bones of a very good side with an extremely talented young backline all under 26. Best spine fremantle has had since 06 with pav, longmuire, sandi, mcpharlin and parker. Young spine with the oldest being tabs and hamling. Our first choice spine has decent depth as well. Good young inside midfield tucker, cerra and brayshaw. So much promise to build around.

I believe we are one succesful draft (filling needs not necessarily stars) away from a premiership. That succesful draft must happen this year or next.
That's the spirit droppbear.

Go the dockers.

No wonder this thread dried up. Looks like we've got a solid 17/ 18 positions picked and now we wait to find out which of the others to slot in and then look at our depth. All we know is it'll be better than last years. Sweet.

Would love Stephens, Ash and Henry in the draft combined with Sturt coming on in leaps and bounds. With that in my dream best 22.
B: Wilson Hamling logue
HB: Ash A.Pearce Ryan
C: S.Hill Fyfe Stephens
R: Lobb Cerra Tucker
HF: Walters Tabs Mundy
Ff: Sturt Hogan Henry

I/C Brayshaw, Aish, matera, Acres
That would be a good young team with pkenty of hope for the future. much better skills than previous years.

Would love Stephens, Ash and Henry in the draft combined with Sturt coming on in leaps and bounds. With that in my dream best 22.

That would be a good young team with pkenty of hope for the future. much better skills than previous years.

1. Even if Sturt improves massively Matera to start, given he's an established goal-sneak who showed quite a bit this year.

2. Aren't there issues with drafted players regarding fitness for midfield and wing? Don't see Stephens (assuming we get him) playing that role first year.

3. Stephens for Switkowski, with Switta starting FF. Aish on the wing, and Henry ic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Even if Sturt improves massively Matera to start, given he's an established goal-sneak who showed quite a bit this year.

2. Aren't there issues with drafted players regarding fitness for midfield and wing? Don't see Stephens (assuming we get him) playing that role first year.

3. Stephens for Switkowski, with Switta starting FF. Aish on the wing, and Henry ic.
There have plenty of draftees who have played wing from round 1. Far less inside mids. Like i said. It was my dream 22 that would hopefully set us up for future years hence picking kids.

There have plenty of draftees who have played wing from round 1. Far less inside mids. Like i said. It was my dream 22 that would hopefully set us up for future years hence picking kids.
Hill needs to get a full pre season in or you can virtually rule him out as improving the teams performance. The other who needs to get back to his form of 2 years ago is Wilson. Thought he would improve on his already strong front end of career at GWS exploiting the advantages of playing on Optus . But the results haven't been great . Lacks confidence in his kicking think he will be improved if your bigs can stay on the park and allow him to run and gun

Interesting with you putting in the "dream" qualifier. I guess it allows you to include a bunch of players who won't be best 22 next year (Ash, Stephens, Henry, Sturt) and exclude other players who will be best 22 (Conca, Blakeley, Darcy); Perhaps more 2021 best 22 with a prioritising of speed and kicking skills? Is 2020 going to be a continuation of the rebuild, which to me fits your best 22, or will it be aimed to get a bit more immediate on-field success?

Interesting with you putting in the "dream" qualifier. I guess it allows you to include a bunch of players who won't be best 22 next year (Ash, Stephens, Henry, Sturt) and exclude other players who will be best 22 (Conca, Blakeley, Darcy); Perhaps more 2021 best 22 with a prioritising of speed and kicking skills? Is 2020 going to be a continuation of the rebuild, which to me fits your best 22, or will it be aimed to get a bit more immediate on-field success?
Yep. Im saying thats what I want to be best 22. Meaning by the end of the year I think that our best 22 would be better if we played those players as early as possible. Its very early days so everyone is hypothzing without much to back it up (inlcuding me) but Longmuir has said he wants players to back themselves to play on instinct. To me that means less players who naturally go to the contest and more outside players playing flanking positions, so that we dont have natural inside mids playing half back. I dont have a problkem saying I cant see how Blakely, Conca or Darcy could be considered locks for best 22 by any stretch. Considering we havent even drafted them yet its pretty strange to say any of the kids wont be best 22.Our last pick in the rookie draft could yet be best 22.

Blakely will play in the seniors, its dreaming to think he wont.;)
Yep I agree if he gets fitter. Not sure why you need to bash anyone with an opinion that he was woeful last year though. Some players are protected species on this board. I know you watch replays. He is beyond terrible at keeping up with his man.

Yep I agree if he gets fitter. Not sure why you need to bash anyone with an opinion that he was woeful last year though. Some players are protected species on this board. I know you watch replays. He is beyond terrible at keeping up with his man.
He didn't have a great year, and certainly never approached the Neale replacement that was discussed on here. I still think he is best 22.

Haven't bashed anyone re their opinions on Blakely.
My opinion for what it's worth is he is in our top 15 players.
Not sure why you think he isn't fit.
When I,'ve managed to get to training he has always worked hard.

Haven't bashed anyone re their opinions on Blakely.
My opinion for what it's worth is he is in our top 15 players.
Not sure why you think he isn't fit.
When I,'ve managed to get to training he has always worked hard.
Yep ok. I think Blakley's not even close to the player some on here do. He seems to always get excused for missing easy kicks or stopping play by fumbling or holding onto the ball for too long, while others get trashed regularly. Watching games last year there were moments where in my view Blakley was miles behind his man in 70 metre sprints in open play. In my view he is terrible at repeat running and thats what Im basing my opinion on him. Hopefully he gets a good run with injury and Im proven wrong. Will gladly tell you that you were right and I was wrong if he has a good year.

This us where I'm at, right now.

-Freo-
FB: Wilson Hamling Logue
HB: Hill Pearce Ryan
C: Aish Fyfe Acres
HF: Matera Taberner Switkowski
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
FOL: Darcy Brayshaw Tucker

INT: Cerra Mundy Blakely Conca

-Peel-
FB: Hughes O'Reilly Carter
HB: Duman Watson Bewley