List Mgmt. Pick 9

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Arrow and Lemmingmaster an article on AFl website about your boy Rivers.

Intriguing that he had no preseason at all. Glandular fever! Probably explains the endurance issues and lack of midfield time. Makes him intriguing....wish there was footage of his final u18 game for East Freo somewhere when he played midfield. Any idea?

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

Intriguing that he had no preseason at all. Glandular fever! Probably explains the endurance issues and lack of midfield time. Makes him intriguing....wish there was footage of his final u18 game for East Freo somewhere when he played midfield. Any idea?
You only talking to ArrOw and Lemmingmaster, you've hurt all our feelings.:(

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
While I'm on the Stephens train, his SA nativity and hype means he'll probably go at 4 to Crows or to another - maybe Freo who need outside run.

In light of that, Lachie Ash makes sense for a few reasons and he just seems like the type we'd go for. If our Lachie Whitfield bid fails next year, we'll have safeguarded ourselves by going out and getting our own attacking half-back named Lachie.

Aside from all that, I can just see us calling his name out on draft night.

With Pick 10, Carlton Football Club selects Lachie Ash of the Murray Bushrangers.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Perryman was another who was probably selected too early. Setterfield, and Bowes had rave reviews. Mills, Heeney and Hopper were clearly the best players in their draft according to many. All of these players have become good to very good AFL players, but I don't think they've matched the hype.
Ah yes, Perryman. Another good example, and Bowes is another.

Mills, Setterfield and Hopper were slow off the mark for various reasons, mostly revolving around injuries, but Heeney is definitely set to become a star of the competition, while the other 3 are showing all the right signs.

Not sure any of our NGA get on a list this year. More than happy to add them to the Northern Blues squad though and see how they go, as we did with Penrith.
Do we have access to Cam Wild?
We do.

We still may not end up with the #9 but if we do, I wonder whether we'd take our version of Papley, in Serong?
Looks ready to go from day 1 and has a nice juicy hole to fill for us.

I still like Stephens though as he'd add some good versatility around the wing and forward-line for us. Goal-kickers are important.

Young and Ash may well end up being very good players. Young reminds me of Buntine and Ash reminds me of Coffield, but do we need them?
Maybe we do if we don't trust Williamsons body and Dochertys knees, but otherwise?
If we do attain Martin, as we have Newnes, I can see O'Brien struggling for a starting post on the wing and still see him as a potential good back-man.

Lots to play out yet but for at least the next 3 - 4 years, we seem to have a mainstay of Jones, Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman there, along with Docherty, Williamson, Newman and to my viewing, Stocker involved, with the likes of O'Brien also in the mix....and we still haven't a speedy exit player. Maybe we don't need one, but that back-line is starting to look quite stacked with talent. Picks don't stand for everything...but...

#1-Weitering, #3-Plowman, #6-Marchbank, #13-Docherty, likely a #19 Stocker and a possible #10 in O'Brien.
Is what we need another first rounder destined for back-line duties?

I'd be happy with Serong and just as happy for Stephens.
Just can't get excited for the rest of what is being deemed the top ten, really

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
We still may not end up with the #9 but if we do, I wonder whether we'd take our version of Papley, in Serong?

I still like Stephens though as he'd add some good versatility around the wing and forward-line for us. Goal-kickers are important.

Young and Ash may well end up being very good players. Young reminds me of Buntine and Ash reminds me of Coffield, but do we need them?
Maybe we do if we don't trust Williamsons body and Dochertys knees, but otherwise?
If we do attain Martin, as we have Newnes, I can see O'Brien struggling for a starting post on the wing and still see him as a potential good back-man.

Lots to play out yet but for at least the next 3 - 4 years, we seem to have a mainstay of Jones, Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman there, along with Docherty, Williamson, Newman and to my viewing, Stocker involved, with the likes of O'Brien also in the mix....and we still haven't a speedy exit player. Maybe we don't need one, but that back-line is starting to look quite stacked with talent. Picks don't stand for everything...but...

#1-Weitering, #3-Plowman, #6-Marchbank, #13-Docherty, likely a #19 Stocker and a possible #10 in O'Brien.

Just re-watched Calebs highlights. He looks a natural footballer with decent skills and very much a team oriented player. I think i would be happy with him and yes i agree a small-forward is a more pressing need than another defender imo.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Be prepared to be disappointed then, when the likely pick is considered a versatile best available rather than needs based

On another note, Young is on another level compared to Buntine

Be prepared to be disappointed then, when the likely pick is considered a versatile best available rather than needs based

On another note, Young is on another level compared to Buntine

Yes, it was Haynes I actually meant and have stated as such previously.
I don't think I will be disappointed though and don't care about versatility for the sake of versatility either - Jack of all trades and the master of none.

We're at the point we have to hone our selections to what's best for the whole. No need for simple scattergun approaches when it comes to types.
Guess we'll be hearing soon enough whether our #9 is up for trade, as clubs will soon start to lock in their targets....but then there's live trading that throws all that up in the air again.

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat

Stocker and LoB will not play back long term (they'll play inside mid and wing respectively), and you made the point yourself, we have no speed coming out of our back half, which you'd think is pretty essential for Teague's game plan.

Ash seems like the perfect player for Teague's plan of trust your footy instincts, as Ash is already doing that at an U/18's level when he goes for a jog (although sometimes to his detriment).

I have a few ahead of him for our pick, but the argument is there that Ash is the best fit for our pick (outside of massively reaching for Weightman and the like, I don't see Serong making our pick personally).

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner

Another good reason to trade for 15 & 20 with GC, we will miss Ash but Rivers is a great get if we could get him at 15 and put a full pre season into him before unleashing him across half back even if it’s at NB to start with, another option would be Bianco who while small is a magnificent kick and would make a good long term replacement for Simmo. It then leaves us with a free hit at 20 for someone like Cooper Stephens or with some luck Dylan Williams, I honestly can see Rivers being the equal of anyone else in the top 10, still want another pick around the 30 mark for my man Pickett which would be a great draft for us.

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Stocker and LoB will not play back long term (they'll play inside mid and wing respectively), and you made the point yourself, we have no speed coming out of our back half, which you'd think is pretty essential for Teague's game plan.

Ash seems like the perfect player for Teague's plan of trust your footy instincts, as Ash is already doing that at an U/18's level when he goes for a jog (although sometimes to his detriment).

I have a few ahead of him for our pick, but the argument is there that Ash is the best fit for our pick (outside of massively reaching for Weightman and the like, I don't see Serong making our pick personally).
You could well be right Doof and Caleb could be gone. Ash does have a lot of excitement about him. A real line-breaker, reminds me of Saad as others have said. Even if our defence is covered maybe Lachie could then play on a wing.

Why wouldn't Stocker play back long term?
He looks a natural to me even upon first NB's viewing, with Hodge coming to mind pretty quickly.
Whichever way, many of our young players will need to have a 'second home' and as much as Stocker looks natural back, Dow looks unnatural forward.
We have to be careful with our selections, otherwise we'll end up with too much of one things and not enough of another and the whole will be worse off for it.

This massive reaching thing never sits well with me and that's coming from a pragmatic viewpoint. Seen it all too often to know it to be true.
There's no shame in taking what may be regarded by the industry to be an end first round player, in the middle of the first round, if that's what's deemed to be the right move for the club and of course clubs will say 'We took the best player available' As if they'd say, 'We took the third best player available'
That would be somewhat silly wouldn't it?

What does Stephens do differently?

There are similarities between the two but Stephens appears to be a more dynamic footballer.

Stephens looks to have pace to burn but more importantly a willingness to use it throughout a game. Not sure LOB has that same pace and certainly hasn't shown a willingness to use it to his advantage thus far.

He also has a very solid inside game, though with his frame he'll probably need a few years to build up his body before he sees meaningful time as part of an AFL midfield rotation. LOB doesn't appear to have that inside game though his outside nature isn't anywhere near as big an issue as many were making it out to be in the leadup to the 2017 draft.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, it was Haynes I actually meant and have stated as such previously.
I don't think I will be disappointed though and don't care about versatility for the sake of versatility either - Jack of all trades and the master of none.

We're at the point we have to hone our selections to what's best for the whole. No need for simple scattergun approaches when it comes to types.
Guess we'll be hearing soon enough whether our #9 is up for trade, as clubs will soon start to lock in their targets....but then there's live trading that throws all that up in the air again.

Selecting best available isn't a scattergun approach, that falls under reaching for a perceived need and bypassing better talent/players

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
What does Stephens do differently?

I'm not being smart I really don't know outside of a very brief write up basically describing what you just did - likes to run, left footer.

LOB is a classic winger. with (to my eye) traits that would also suit a role on half back. His offensive game is built on outrunning an opponent and getting into space to receive the ball, before driving the play forward with a bit of a run and then a lovely long kick. His defensive game is built on staying close enough to an opposition winger that they can't do the same - more a negating defense. I don't see that he has many tricks when it comes to beating an opponent one-on-one, and while he runs all day, he's not "that" quick. Think he's a player who gets better late in games when his endurance base widens the gap between him and his opponent.

Stephens is a midfielder who most likely starts his career playing on a wing. His offensive game is built on winning the ball, or being fed the ball, and then using his speed and agility to take the ball into space. From there he's a very good kick, but he's also very good by hand, and does a great job of drawing opposition players to him before dishing the ball off to a teammate in space. His defensive game is more about immediate pressure on the ball carrier - tackling, smothering, and the implied threat of both. I'd back him in to out-manoeuvre most opponents when the ball is in dispute.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Why wouldn't Stocker play back long term?
He looks a natural to me even upon first NB's viewing, with Hodge coming to mind pretty quickly.
Whichever way, many of our young players will need to have a 'second home' and as much as Stocker looks natural back, Dow looks unnatural forward.
We have to be careful with our selections, otherwise we'll end up with too much of one things and not enough of another and the whole will be worse off for it.

This massive reaching thing never sits well with me and that's coming from a pragmatic viewpoint. Seen it all too often to know it to be true.
There's no shame in taking what may be regarded by the industry to be an end first round player, in the middle of the first round, if that's what's deemed to be the right move for the club and of course clubs will say 'We took the best player available' As if they'd say, 'We took the third best player available'
That would be somewhat silly wouldn't it?

Stocker is a midfielder every day of the week

Where he initially plays to hone his craft/work on deficiencies has no bearing medium to long term

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
There are similarities between the two but Stephens appears to be a more dynamic footballer.

Stephens looks to have pace to burn but more importantly a willingness to use it throughout a game. Not sure LOB has that same pace and certainly hasn't shown a willingness to use it to his advantage thus far.

He also has a very solid inside game, though with his frame he'll probably need a few years to build up his body before he sees meaningful time as part of an AFL midfield rotation. LOB doesn't appear to have that inside game though his outside nature isn't anywhere near as big an issue as many were making it out to be in the leadup to the 2017 draft.

LOB is a classic winger. with (to my eye) traits that would also suit a role on half back. His offensive game is built on outrunning an opponent and getting into space to receive the ball, before driving the play forward with a bit of a run and then a lovely long kick. His defensive game is built on staying close enough to an opposition winger that they can't do the same - more a negating defense. I don't see that he has many tricks when it comes to beating an opponent one-on-one, and while he runs all day, he's not "that" quick. Think he's a player who gets better late in games when his endurance base widens the gap between him and his opponent.

Stephens is a midfielder who most likely starts his career playing on a wing. His offensive game is built on winning the ball, or being fed the ball, and then using his speed and agility to take the ball into space. From there he's a very good kick, but he's also very good by hand, and does a great job of drawing opposition players to him before dishing the ball off to a teammate in space. His defensive game is more about immediate pressure on the ball carrier - tackling, smothering, and the implied threat of both. I'd back him in to out-manoeuvre most opponents when the ball is in dispute.
Sounds like Stephens takes the game on a bit more and is a bit more creative than LOB, would that be a fair assessment?

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds like Stephens takes the game on a bit more and is a bit more creative than LOB, would that be a fair assessment?

Possibly looks that way because Stephens does a bit of his work in close and therefore has to be creative to get the ball forward. Lochie, if he does his job well, should be in a paddock with his pick of 3-4 leading teammates. Looks less exciting but is just as damaging.

Reckon I see more similarities between Stephens and Cuningham (when Cunners has been shifted on ball), if that helps the comparison.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Possibly looks that way because Stephens does a bit of his work in close and therefore has to be creative to get the ball forward. Lochie, if he does his job well, should be in a paddock with his pick of 3-4 leading teammates. Looks less exciting but is just as damaging.

Reckon I see more similarities between Stephens and Cuningham (when Cunners has been shifted on ball), if that helps the comparison.
Ah yeah that makes sense. I was going to compare him to Sidebottom perhaps? A more natural wingman/outside player but has the nous to play inside when needed.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ah yeah that makes sense. I was going to compare him to Sidebottom perhaps? A more natural wingman/outside player but has the nous to play inside when needed.

Had the same thought about a week ago when trying to think of a similar "known" player.

Sidebum has the benefit of a long career and oodles of experience, I think he's made do with less athletic gifts than Stephens has. Sidebum tends to play a bit more stationary, though he's phenomenal at those little half steps that somehow keep him out of reach of an opponent, while Stephens is more inclined to get on his bike and take the ball with him.

There isn't really a neat equivalent. Shane Edwards-ish? Dylan Shiel with a functioning foot and a bit more composure? Modern-day Trent Cotchin?

Back