List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get nervous when we draft players on “might be a midfielder”. We’ve been burnt before on this. If we want a mid draft on that plays there. Otherwise get a defender who plays there. I don’t want utilities at all well at least not at pick 5 (or 6 if there is a match for Green)
A top 5 draft pick is like hen's teeth for us. I'm also hoping we use it on a legit midfielder.

We will soon be bemoaning how Gray butchers the ball going inside 50 and everywhere else on the field.

He will be no worse than our current mids. Adds a point of difference in our mid rotation

A top 5 draft pick is like hen's teeth for us. I'm also hoping we use it on a legit midfielder.

100% agreed or alternatively a genuine line breaking defender if we feel the top mids are gone. I just don’t want to hear the words “ oh he’s a defender but we see him as a mid”.

Green is from Canberra isn't he? Might consider himself a Sydney local, or elsewhere depending on where his grandparents/family are from.
Playing AFL in Canberra it's a good chance they are from Southern states - he might be dead keen on living in Melbourne for all I know. Canberra people are often split like that depending on where the fool in the family who moved there was from. ;)

Anyway It'd be a total longshot to get him. It's far more likley they take him and trade out a Hately or Caldwell back to where they are from at the end of the year. Their NEAFL team is going to take some beating next year for sure. System can keep them in cheap elite talent fringe squad players for the next 10 years.
They'll win the flag next year.
This is the first sign that the 10 years won’t be 10 years. Equalization is starting to effect them

I always get nervous when we draft players on “might be a midfielder”. We’ve been burnt before on this. If we want a mid draft on that plays there. Otherwise get a defender who plays there. I don’t want utilities at all well at least not at pick 5 (or 6 if there is a match for Green)

You are talking about Young here presumably by your other posts as well about defenders. Young has played in the midfield in the NAB League and was outstanding in there. Arguably as good as when he's in his natural position of a defender. I could see a reverse Mills situation with Young where he's a defender whose nous and ball use are too good for Horse to resist and he chucks him in the guts (or the wing to start with.) If it's true that we're going after Green, Kemp and Flanders (and possibly Serong?) then obviously the midfield is a priority, so if we somehow did end up with Young, that would lead me to believe we'd be seeing him as a mid.

In the conversation the poster from another site had with Harley he said Taylor to play midfield and Gray to play forward (though I suspect he might run through the middle too).

I'm hoping it's the opposite, in that Gray seems to have played his best footy in the midfield, and Taylor looks most dangerous as a half forward.

You are talking about Young here presumably by your other posts as well about defenders. Young has played in the midfield in the NAB League and was outstanding in there. Arguably as good as when he's in his natural position of a defender. I could see a reverse Mills situation with Young where he's a defender whose nous and ball use are too good for Horse to resist and he chucks him in the guts (or the wing to start with.) If it's true that we're going after Green, Kemp and Flanders (and possibly Serong?) then obviously the midfield is a priority, so if we somehow did end up with Young, that would lead me to believe we'd be seeing him as a mid.

Luckily Melbourne will take Young anyway in all likelihood but yes him.Whenever I see Young I see huge queries especially early. Just don’t like utilities with early selections.

Luckily Melbourne will take Young anyway in all likelihood but yes him.Whenever I see Young I see huge queries especially early. Just don’t like utilities with early selections.

He'd only be a utility if we made him one (there's a very good chance we would, knowing Horse.)

But if we settled on a position for Young I genuinely think he'd nail it. Whether it's a HB flanker (I think we'd finally get the flanker we've been chasing with Young) or playing in the guts as a ball-winner with break away pace and elite ball use, or playing on the wing where he can provide outside run and set up plays with his creative play. He'd nail any of these roles IMO, it would just be up to us what we do with him.

He'd only be a utility if we made him one (there's a very good chance we would, knowing Horse.)

But if we settled on a position for Young I genuinely think he'd nail it. Whether it's a HB flanker (I think we'd finally get the flanker we've been chasing with Young) or playing in the guts as a ball-winner with break away pace and elite ball use, or playing on the wing where he can provide outside run and set up plays with his creative play. He'd nail any of these roles IMO, it would just be up to us what we do with him.

That doesn’t scream a top selection though that’s a lot of guesswork- rather take one I know his position rather than a stack of maybes

That doesn’t scream a top selection though that’s a lot of guesswork- rather take one I know his position rather than a stack of maybes

Young being able to nail any role given to him based on form he showed is guesswork? OK...

I just think being able to have Young, Dawson and Blakey, three big bodies (Young will be 190 by his peak IMO) who are all great athletes and users of the footy playing between the arcs would be a ridiculous asset for us to have.

So, you believe a player who plays a bit here, a bit there and then somewhere else again are not worthy of an early pick. I assume from that then that you thought Heeney was only worth a second round pick? Same could be said of Bomtempelli.
Clubs can make utilities of midfielders or they can make utilities into midfielders. A player who can get the pill and use it well in multiple positions offers more options than one who has only played in one area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, you believe a player who plays a bit here, a bit there and then somewhere else again are not worthy of an early pick. I assume from that then that you thought Heeney was only worth a second round pick? Same could be said of Bomtempelli.
Clubs can make utilities of midfielders or they can make utilities into midfielders. A player who can get the pill and use it well in multiple positions offers more options than one who has only played in one area.

For every good one there’s a number of ones that can’t nail a position down, look at Aaron Francis, strong draft, and yet they still have no idea what he is. Not every utility is Hodge and that’s the type you would want as a top selection.

If we want a mid then draft a genuine one, it’s that simple personally. Similar if we want a running half back then get one.

We could get Jackson for instance instead if we are going to go this route

For every good one there’s a number of ones that can’t nail a position down, look at Aaron Francis, strong draft, and yet they still have no idea what he is. Not every utility is Hodge and that’s the type you would want as a top selection.

If we want a mid then draft a genuine one, it’s that simple personally. Similar if we want a running half back then get one.

We could get Jackson for instance instead if we are going to go this route

It's all hypothetical until we know, but who we take will indicate what we are seeing as a priority. If we take Kemp, despite his ACL, we're clearly prioritising composure and class. If we take Green, we're clearly prioritising toughness and attack on the footy. If we take Serong or Flanders, we're clearly prioritising multi-faceted mids who could play forward. And if we take Young, we're clearly prioritising creative ball use.

So it may be that we look for what a player can bring to the team, more so than just looking for a player to fill a role that we're lacking.

Feels like the club had already started phasing out Beatson. We brought in Dalrymple and he took over responsibility for the draft, with Beatson's focus more limited to trading. I'm not too concerned if this ends up being true.
Just thought Beatson would step away entirely rather than go elsewhere. He's been at the Swans for 13years now, for me he's so ingrained into the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back