News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have heard from someone who knows someone inside the club (not a player or coach) that Nicks has been on a mission getting to all the players one on one and getting everything straight and clearing the air from the last 2 years, They were very impressed on how he is going about it.

Not having a go and I’m glad Nicks is doing this, but deadset my B-Grade Amateur league coach did the same thing 10 years ago. I would expect this as a bare minimum from a new coach and it’d be a concern if the playing group felt this was a variation from the norm.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not having a go and I’m glad Nicks is doing this, but deadset my B-Grade Amateur league coach did the same thing 10 years ago. I would expect this as a bare minimum from a new coach and it’d be a concern if the playing group felt this was a variation from the norm.
I’m sure your B grade amateurs coach didn’t have to deal with players who’ve been through hell the last 2 seasons though. I agree that a coach should be getting around to all players anyway, but it’s also good that he’s addressing the issues from the last 2 seasons head on and not just ignoring them.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Exactly, yet Chapman flat out denied there would be one, yet you were one having a go at me for suggesting Chapman had lied...
I wonder if Chapman was lying about moving on in the next year or two?

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think EC alluded to this that it’s just more bs we are being fed

Off course it is. Chapman can't even get his story in line with other board members.

Pyke "resigned" so in theory no payment needed to be made.

That a payment was going to be made to Pyke the board would have had to sign if off. How the hell couldn't Chapman know this given that he is the Chair??

It was a flat out lie and that one of the biggest defenders of the club in Mark Bickley was "pissed" at Chapman's response after Roo said there would be a payment.

There you have the level of competence and integrity from the Chairman of the AFC at a time when the supporters were critical of the clubs operations.

But hey Rob Chapman's a good bloke!!

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heard yesterday from a good source that Kevin Sheedy will have involvement with the club this year and announcements not far away. Caught me off guard as wouldn’t have even considered him but the source has been correct before on some trade stuff. Has anyone else heard this?

that is highly unlikely. He’s miles gone, Malthouse is new age compared to him.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
Maybe, do you reckon it's a good choice if true?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the Sheedy rumour is anything more than rumour, it may not even be for the Head of Football role. He could easily fill the newly created Leadership & Culture role with his experience as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
But I thought we weren't paying out Pyke? Chapman said so.

I was then hounded down by the usual suspects when I dared question this. Apparently it was just a relocation allowance :rolleyes:

“not paying out” is a true statement in the context of paying out the balance remaining on his deal. “Pyke is not being paid out the full value of his contract.“.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d be happy to roll the dice with Adam Kelly. Cleanskin, talented, highly qualified.

Think he may be just what we need.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
CAn I play? Sheedy for me. Last thing we need is ”well back in 97 I called a ruckman pathetic and we won a flag because of it, not to mention I walked into the rooms before a game ended because the boys were playing insipid”

blight by the proverbial for me. His coaching record in the modern AFL period is far superior to Sheedy. Far superior.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
We know by now not to trust anything that comes out of Chappy's mouth.

Isn't great having a Chair who openely lies to his members then tell us he sticking around for the good of our club...

“It is my duty to dig the club out of this mess. I’ve no idea how we got here, it is a recurring theme, but by gum, I’m definitely the bloke to get us out of it.”

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
- or we procrastinate for 12 months, see an upturn in form as we generally see with new coaches and the argument becomes "why do you even need Joe Bloggs? Your going great!"
- or they change the tune 12 months down the track "we didn't say we would get you Joe Bloggs, we said we'd try, unfortunately it was going to cost too much so you'll have to accept John Smith, he's been doing a great job as a SANFL coach and think he has great potential..."
Yeah it feels like we're ready to write off next season and we're not even in 2020 yet with us already having to wait another 12 months to appoint someone...

What would have happened if Pyke stayed? I would have thought we'd have been in the ears of a few coaches during the year to get them across if we were planning on making any changes but given where we're at in the year and we haven't added anyone, leads me to believe there weren't going to be many changes. Perhaps once Pyke went whoever we were looking at to join his team fell through but with how we roll, we'd have just as likely signed the individual to a 3 year deal ahead of time and being stuck with that individual regardless of what Nicks wanted.

Is funny that prior to the Nicks appointment we were being told we were going to have a conference to release a number of positions altogether. Felt like it was pushed back a day or two when everyone knew Nicks was our man yet it's nothing but crickets instead.

Hopefully we get something soon.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d be happy to roll the dice with Adam Kelly. Cleanskin, talented, highly qualified.

Think he may be just what we need.
We aren’t getting an experienced footy ops manager at this late stage, so it’s either going to be someone from club land who doesn’t have a decent job that that they will struggle to get out of or experience in the footy ops role, so someone like Kelly it will be.

He said 12 months........I'll believe it when it happens.

But I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.
Meanwhile neglected to mention that he just gave himself a 3 year extension as chair.

The facts speak for themselves!

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe, do you reckon it's a good choice if true?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am doubtful myself - just don’t see the tie in but as I said source has been good before
The only role I think it could be is like a coaching mentor or something. Does he still do any work with GWS coaches at all. If he has been a sounding board perhaps Nicks has had dealings with him and has asked him to help develop our very inexperienced assistant coaching team?

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
But I thought we weren't paying out Pyke? Chapman said so.

I was then hounded down by the usual suspects when I dared question this. Apparently it was just a relocation allowance :rolleyes:
That was my thoughts as well. Pyke initiated his resignation, which automatically meant no payout, Chapman said no payout. I was singing Pyke's praises and thought that he would get a relocation allowance which would have been a s**t load less than paying him 2 years wages. Where do these rumours about Pyke getting paid out his contract come from. Surely its just someones thoughts. Does anyone know for sure. I bet no one does

Last edited:

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I'd agree with most of this. Personally I'd have Greenwood best 22 every day of the week, but can accept that he was borderline for much of 2019.

Our best 22 is still very solid, especially through the midfield/defensive parts of the ground.

The forward line is a little more wait and see, but Walker and Lynch are experienced campaigners, Fogarty's ready to go as #2 key forward and Stengle for the most part should be able to replicate closely replicate Eddie's output for the past 24 months.

People underestimate how much our side was underperforming and how badly the game plan was failing. Correct this and its not unreasonable, IMO, to see a significant upturn in performances.

The same things were no doubt being said about us in 1997, 2005, 2012, 2015... All examples where there was a clear breakdown of the gameplan and players simply stopped responding to the coach. Personally I think there's an underlying cultural issue here at our club, however I still very much think we can turn things around next year.

As you say though, depth will be an issue, instead of having a list of 34-35 players genuinely AFL experienced and ready to go, we'll probably have a list of 29-30 in that bracket. A bad injury run will hurt. Although I think sometimes injury creates opportunities and often young players, especially mid sized players, are often more ready to go than you think. Whilst not mid-sized, ROB/Jacobs was a great example this year, if Jacobs doesn't go down with a knee, ROB probably doesn't play and Jacobs is probably our lead ruck going into next year...
Just on the injuries, I agree that if Rob goes down we are going to struggle but I privately hold some fears that if Doedee's knee fails we will be light on in that area as well especially now that Keath has gone. Fingers crossed that Doedee's knee holds up well. I had the same fear when Tex's knee went but he seems to have got over that. He can still kick the ball a long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back