Training Preseason Chat - It's happening again ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching an interview with John Terry recently and he was talking about how when Mourinho came to Chelsea the first time he demanded they started ballwork from the first minute of preseason, and yet they probably ran further than a straight running session. Players can always push themselves harder to be on the end of a passage of play more than they can push themselves to do laps of an oval.
My preseasons used to be just about completely running laps, over and over and over again, and I always found, no matter how fit I was, and how good my 5km time trial was, come the first game of preseason, I was absolutely cooked at qrt time ... there is nothing quite like match sim.

Great to see our kicking skills are not being forgotten. Things getting serious.
This is great to see. And the fact he mentioned that he wanted to still be a part of the club after he retired was a nice comment too. He didn't just take the 3 years and f*** off like Roosy did. Plus it looks like we have a kicking program which is nice. We might hit some targets next year!

Was watching an interview with John Terry recently and he was talking about how when Mourinho came to Chelsea the first time he demanded they started ballwork from the first minute of preseason, and yet they probably ran further than a straight running session. Players can always push themselves harder to be on the end of a passage of play more than they can push themselves to do laps of an oval.
The only people who should practice nothing but running are people who only ******* run.

You know what's really relevant in modern footy? Run 100m sprints and then kick for goal. There's no point standing on the boundary potting bananas fresh as a daisy. Run 300m and then grab a footy and kick a goal less than 10 seconds after you pick it up.

Run 50m and then hit a leading team mate

This sports science s**t is rubbish

Sports science has a place, but they need to remember its sport first. Figure out how to play the ******* sport first, then worry about the science after that.
Yep, decent delivery can make a big difference, especially into the forwards.

And then you run on Marvel/Optus Stadium, and your tibia splits in half.

Its an extra fibula. Makes the leg 50% stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 minute interview with Burgess

19 minute interview with Burgess
Very impressed by his attitude and his philosophy on training, interesting insights about the perceived lack of agility of AFL players vis -a-vis soccer players in the UK.

The only people who should practice nothing but running are people who only ******* run.

You know what's really relevant in modern footy? Run 100m sprints and then kick for goal. There's no point standing on the boundary potting bananas fresh as a daisy. Run 300m and then grab a footy and kick a goal less than 10 seconds after you pick it up.

Run 50m and then hit a leading team mate

This sports science s**t is rubbish

Agree. I honestly believe that set shot kicking is so terrible now days because of the amount of running players do and Im not sure if this is addressed enough in training?

In the fire service they train members to be able to perform mental tasks under physical duress. So they will make them complete an obstacle course that is designed to give you that "legs like jelly" sensation and once the ostacles are completed they will be presented with a problem solving task such as a bucket full of different sized couplings that need to be matched to a corresponding pipe on a wall. If they drop a coupling or cant fit them all in a certain time they fail.

I think set shot goal kicking is the same. Not only do you need to be able to physically kick the ball the required distance and accuracy, you also need to be able to think your way through it mentally under physical duress which is harder than it looks when you are just watching from the couch.

To back my theory Tom Mac is super fit (less duress) and is an excellent set shot.

Petraccca could be fitter (more duress) and is a terrible set shot. Yet on a snap shot out of general play using only skill and instincts he is pretty accurate.

Agree. I honestly believe that set shot kicking is so terrible now days because of the amount of running players do and Im not sure if this is addressed enough in training?

In the fire service they train members to be able to perform mental tasks under physical duress. So they will make them complete an obstacle course that is designed to give you that "legs like jelly" sensation and once the ostacles are completed they will be presented with a problem solving task such as a bucket full of different sized couplings that need to be matched to a corresponding pipe on a wall. If they drop a coupling or cant fit them all in a certain time they fail.

I think set shot goal kicking is the same. Not only do you need to be able to physically kick the ball the required distance and accuracy, you also need to be able to think your way through it mentally under physical duress which is harder than it looks when you are just watching from the couch.

To back my theory Tom Mac is super fit (less duress) and is an excellent set shot.

Petraccca could be fitter (more duress) and is a terrible set shot. Yet on a snap shot out of general play using only skill and instincts he is pretty accurate.
Is your real name Darren Burgess?

Very impressed by his attitude and his philosophy on training, interesting insights about the perceived lack of agility of AFL players vis -a-vis soccer players in the UK.

Typically more upper body strength required in AFL, there's going to be a significant difference in agility level. AFL players are also going to be taller and heavier on average. Hardly going to be a surprise that football players are likely to be more agile than AFL players.

Is Weid training with the backs yet? #Weid2CHB

Probably on the wing. Would be wondering why we've recruited Tomlinson to do a job when we already have the Weid.

Typically more upper body strength required in AFL, there's going to be a significant difference in agility level. AFL players are also going to be taller and heavier on average. Hardly going to be a surprise that football players are likely to be more agile than AFL players.
Thank you Sir. :cool::D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back