2020 AFL fixture released

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Simply put, if you're making a footy show in Melbourne, then it's not going to be easy getting players from WA or QLD to sit in on your segments.

Its really very easy these days ..... watch ABC 24 they beam in contributors & discuss issues in real time.

Are you looking for excuses?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
OK so if you put it that way your point makes a little more sense. I agree, we can have more travel and less blockbuster games. Having said that, how are we going to tackle the inequity that arises with home ground advantage or lack of it between Victorian sides?

The reason why I ask is because a lot of the supporters of non-Victorian clubs want to address the inequalities their team faces, but I think inequality needs to be addressed league wide
Yep, i get it and appreciate your manner. It is a conundrum that the AFL will eventually have to face and try and make it as equal as they possibly can as the protests are getting louder. Kranky Al had a good solution on another thread but, unfortunately, it would involve the AFL losing money.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yep, i get it and appreciate your manner. It is a conundrum that the AFL will eventually have to face and try and make it as equal as they possibly can as the protests are getting louder. Kranky Al had a good solution on another thread but, unfortunately, it would involve the AFL losing money.
The best (And probably the most unrealistic) way is to increase Victorian travel interstate and have each Victorian side locate your suburban grounds and share a home ground with a maximum of one other team like the Adelaide and Perth teams. It’ll give the Victorian sides a sense of home ground advantage and gives the Non-Victorians reduced travel.

The thing though is that the AFL will lose a lot of money that way. I think the VFL/AFL should have just set up the league like the EPL in terms of ground structure. The downside of that would be the accessibility of games though as the prices to attend games would probably be high.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The best (And probably the most unrealistic) way is to increase Victorian travel interstate and have each Victorian side locate your suburban grounds and share a home ground with a maximum of one other team like the Adelaide and Perth teams. It’ll give the Victorian sides a sense of home ground advantage and gives the Non-Victorians reduced travel.

The thing though is that the AFL will lose a lot of money that way. I think the VFL/AFL should have just set up the league like the EPL in terms of ground structure. The downside of that would be the accessibility of games though as the prices to attend games would probably be high.
I often wonder why the Vics surrendered their home grounds. Was it a long range plan by the then VFL to put in the AFL and have more control of the teams. Was it that the Vic teams could not afford their home grounds anymore, were they seduced with the offer of more money coming in. A head scratcher for me.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I often wonder why the Vics surrendered their home grounds. Was it a long range plan by the then VFL to put in the AFL and have more control of the teams. Was it that the Vic teams could not afford their home grounds anymore, were they seduced with the offer of more money coming in. A head scratcher for me.

Might have been cost especially as most of those grounds needed upgrading -- they really are just local ovals with often horrendous playing surfaces and pretty limited crowd capacity.

I think the best of the traditional home grounds is perhaps Princes Park, but even that's not going to cut it as a venue for Carlton home games against other big clubs.

At the end of the day, I think it makes sense to share one or two large capacity grounds funded from a common purse rather than each club trying to fund a venue that could host matches in the 75,000 + kind of range.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Me too and I don’t know to be honest. Teams have their own home ground in most leagues that I know of (EPL, NFL etc.) so I don’t know why we have 2 grounds between 9 clubs from the same city. Should have built on their own home grounds over the years to make it a proper ground fit for AFL in my opinion.

Maybe there isn’t enough money in the league like there is in leagues like the NFL and EPL

Possibly the view from inside the bubble v outside.

Agreed.

I think this, and a lot of the other issues WCE fans have, come from being used to being a big fish in a little pond, and getting confused/upset when they don't get the same level of respect (AKA worship and adoration) on the larger stage.

To a degree, this is also true of Adelaide and Geelong. (although they tend to be less so because while WCE is objectively one of the biggest clubs, they aren't so are more easily stopped by reality checks)

The WA media are that, those claiming to cover the game nationally should be true to themselves OR accept its a show out of Melbourne that goes national, e.g 360.
When spent your whole life living/working in one city ...
You'll probably find that the Eagles gets more than one eighteenth coverage in shows like 360 as it is.
How much more WA bias do you want before you think it fair?

A little from Column A, a little from column B.

Back in the 60s, Richmond moved to the MCG because punt road was widened, making our home ground unusable, so we had to go somewhere (other options were seriously looked at).
This then went through a period of success (more fans, more flags, etc), and while the extent that is related to the move is debatable, it still probably encouraged others to look into it.

Fitzroy and Hawthorn became nomads because their home grounds just weren't up to standard and the required upgrades were either too expensive or not acceptable to local councils. This wasn't such a success (initially at least) as they couldn't really get a new 'home' (Hawthorn eventually got one at Waverley, Fitzroy got shafted).

The avalanche however was when Docklands got floated, and the AFL was promised the ground provided they could fixture enough games there, so they pushed the clubs to relocate. The MCG, not wanting to miss out, also opened their doors to new tenants.
The clubs themselves were faced with maintaining their grounds, knowing that they'd have fewer home games and the 'big' games were going to be the first they'd lose, or a promise (lie) of great rewards if they moved, and the understanding that the first to move would get the best deals...So they moved.

In the end, the AFL made out like bandits (billion dollar stadium, and a big slice of income from the MCG), and the Vic clubs all got screwed (some worse than others, but all cop it), and what little compensation they receive for the AFL screwing them over is used to belittle them by people calling it 'charity' or 'handouts'.

Exactly what Richmond are getting now. And don't give me that neutral garbage.
So is it a neutral game when Eagles play Fremantle?
As I have said on several occasions, if you pander to and give in to the desires of the entitled, you don't make them happy, you just reinforce their feelings of entitlement.
If West Coast is Given 16 home games and Victorian clubs are only awarded 7, that won't stop your whinging about how unfair it all is, it will just amplify it.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
In the end, the AFL made out like bandits (billion dollar stadium, and a big slice of income from the MCG), and the Vic clubs all got screwed (some worse than others, but all cop it), and what little compensation they receive for the AFL screwing them over is used to belittle them by people calling it 'charity' or 'handouts'.
Thanks for the concise reply Telsor. The AFL don't do to badly for a supposed "Not for profit" organisation. Wonder how many pollies and councillors they have in their back pocket.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
So is it a neutral game when Eagles play Fremantle?
As I have said on several occasions, if you pander to and give in to the desires of the entitled, you don't make them happy, you just reinforce their feelings of entitlement.
If West Coast is Given 16 home games and Victorian clubs are only awarded 7, that won't stop your whinging about how unfair it all is, it will just amplify it.
You always reply in the negative Grin instead of trying to solve a problem. Even if WA teams got 14 at home (same as Richmond) but say, 4 double up games at home instead of travel every second week and finals still played in Melbourne, or the Granny anyway, it would go a long way to offset the 77 hours in the air compared to Richmond 24 hours. A fair compromise?

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
A little from Column A, a little from column B.

Back in the 60s, Richmond moved to the MCG because punt road was widened, making our home ground unusable, so we had to go somewhere (other options were seriously looked at).
This then went through a period of success (more fans, more flags, etc), and while the extent that is related to the move is debatable, it still probably encouraged others to look into it.
Also with the way our train lines are set up, it made sense. A trip to most suburban grounds by train involves a change over at Richmond Station.

You always reply in the negative Grin instead of trying to solve a problem. Even if WA teams got 14 at home (same as Richmond) but say, 4 double up games at home instead of travel every second week and finals still played in Melbourne, or the Granny anyway, it would go a long way to offset the 77 hours in the air compared to Richmond 24 hours. A fair compromise?
So 4 double up games against Fremantle?
Or would Victorian clubs play home games in WA?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
So 4 double up games against Fremantle?
Or would Victorian clubs play home games in WA?
No only one game against Freo and 3 double ups against Vic teams on a rotating basis. Still leaves 7 Interstate travels.........I think. More than Vic teams still but goes a long way to alleviate a burden. If we were only travelling an hour like most Interstate teams then i would be fine with the way it is.

No only one game against Freo and 3 double ups against Vic teams on a rotating basis. Still leaves 7 Interstate travels.........I think. More than Vic teams still but goes a long way to alleviate a burden. If we were only travelling an hour like most Interstate teams then i would be fine with the way it is.
Would all other interstate clubs get the same?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Would all other interstate clubs get the same?
It would be on a sliding scale of how many hours travelling per year. The logistics of all travelling equally, or close enough, would not be difficult....you would need a mathematician though ;)

It would be on a sliding scale of how many hours travelling per year. The logistics of all travelling equally, or close enough, would not be difficult....you would need a mathematician though ;)
Getting pretty complicated because many other interstate clubs argue that it isn't just the 1 hour flight, it's the drive to and from the airport, accommodation etc.
But lets just say all interstate clubs get this benefit. That would mean almost all Victorian clubs play 3 home games at their interstate opposition venue.
Would that make the competition even in your mind? Or would it still be unfair for the Eagles?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Getting pretty complicated because many other interstate clubs argue that it isn't just the 1 hour flight, it's the drive to and from the airport, accommodation etc.
But lets just say all interstate clubs get this benefit. That would mean almost all Victorian clubs play 3 home games at their interstate opposition venue.
Would that make the competition even in your mind? Or would it still be unfair for the Eagles?

I can only assess on my experience of flying to and from Perth as i have family in Perth and i am knackered when i arrive. If i fly to launceston then it is no problem. I am sure, and i don't know why it is not done, if Adelaide teams fly in the morning they could play in the Arvo if the scheduling is done properly. Vic teams could fly to Tassy and play on the same day, and then even back again. Impossible from WA. To better answer your question though. Any improvement to the Wa teams scheduling has to be better than what they are dealing with now.

I can only assess on my experience of flying to and from Perth as i have family in Perth and i am knackered when i arrive. If i fly to launceston then it is no problem. I am sure, and i don't know why it is not done, if Adelaide teams fly in the morning they could play in the Arvo if the scheduling is done properly. Vic teams could fly to Tassy and play on the same day, and then even back again. Impossible from WA. To better answer your question though. Any improvement to the Wa teams scheduling has to be better than what they are dealing with now.

Do you have any examples of when these teams fly the same day?? All teams fly the day before for all interstate games.

So if Richmond flew to Adelaide and back before and after every home game against all Non Vic clubs, would we be allowed to still play our home games at the MCG?

Perhaps the AFL should charter planes so that all teams must travel for, say, 4 hours before every game?

Don't tell me, WA fans still wouldn't be happy.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you have any examples of when these teams fly the same day?? All teams fly the day before for all interstate games.
They do fly the day before, sometimes 2 (for wa teams) but i wonder if they have tried flying, playing same day. I dont know if it has been tried for hour long only flights. google is your friend?

Back