Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hasn't he also had a PCL and a shoulder reconstruction? Contact injuries are unlucky but genetics play a part in those as well. Look at Atley he'll be playing game 200 in round three this year, only missed one game from injury (I think he was dropped for a few in 2015?) since 2011 and that was when Jack Darling fell across his knee this year. Jack Darling falls across Ed's knee and he might miss a season.

You are in possession of a record of Ed's genomics?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
This place has gone all Lord of the Flies again.

No Ed wasn't genetically predisposed to colliding with goalposts.

But there are some players whose movement patterns and/or physical makeup seem to make them more injury prone.

Darren Crocker vs Craig Sholl.

Mason Wood vs Jack Ziebell.

Matthew Capuano vs Todd Goldstein.

etc.

But there are some players whose movement patterns and/or physical makeup seem to make them more injury prone.

etc.

The bloke who broke his leg twice in two seasons?

Perhaps his attack on the ball contributed to hese but he's had good continuity for his next 9 seasons. Certainly not in the perennially 'unlucky' Wood or Garner camps.

Yes but Garner and Wood have had continual soft tissue injuries, which can certainly have a genetic element.

We're talking about EVW who gets contact injuries.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Perhaps his attack on the ball contributed to hese but he's had good continuity for his next 9 seasons. Certainly not in the perennially 'unlucky' Wood or Garner camps.
Jeezus you had to bring Garner into it.. SLF is officially triggered......

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

etc.

Some people are simply tougher than others.

It might be genetics. It might be environmental (ie what happened to them as a kid). Look at Cunners. He's tough as nails but a fair chunk of that toughness comes from being on a farm with cattle. From a young age he is working harder pushing cows around and getting bumped, head-butted or even kicked by them, so he'll naturally be stronger from a younger age but who knows what (if any) epigenetic type effects that sort of thing has. Especially over generations, as happens with alot of cattle farmers.

Dunno if Gary Rohan grew up on a farm or not.

He did. Very nearby, however his parents were share farmers at the time and rather than Benny, may not have had the tough stuff that you run into on a dairy farm. If I'm not mistaken they share farmed for the Father and Son, who were drowned earlier this year near the Twelve Apostles, trying to rescue a tourist.

Also according to at least one person in the Cobden area, the Rohan's have "chalky" bones and are always getting themselves hurt/breaking bones. I suspect most other players would have just got up and run off when LT collided with him, but such was LT's luck he had to collide with Rohan.

He did. Very nearby, however his parents were share farmers at the time and rather than Benny, may not have had the tough stuff that you run into on a dairy farm. If I'm not mistaken they share farmed for the Father and Son, who were drowned earlier this year near the Twelve Apostles, trying to rescue a tourist.

Also according to at least one person in the Cobden area, the Rohan's have "chalky" bones and are always getting themselves hurt/breaking bones. I suspect most other players would have just got up and run off when LT collided with him, but such was LT's luck he had to collide with Rohan.

Thanks for that. It makes alot of sense ... fits with what i was thinking about.

Cattle are different. All farming is hard work but cattle are big strong animals. And not having chalky bones (I knew people like that years ago).

Rohan only popped into my mind cos those two grew up playing footy together and were mates. He's an extreme example but a good one in terms of this conversation.

EVW played for Sandringham and went to Melbourne Grammer (he might have been school captain). I'm not having a go at any of our bayside residents (or from any other suburbs for that matter, I don't think it matter where the suburb is) but its a world of difference living on a farm where you have to work, even as a kid despite knocks and injuries and the suburbs where you don't. A cattle farm where you have to work and yell at or belt animals that are bigger and stronger than you makes it even more of a significant thing.

Actually surfers are similar imo because they'll surf as kids carrying minor (or even major) injuries if they really love surfing.

I used to work with a guy who was in his mid 40s. We were on a tree planting crew and sometimes we'd be working in the jungle behind Mullumbimby, so an hours drive from the coast, or from being in the water, by the time you get out of the site, down bush tracks and 15 km to the beach. He'd still be up at 4.30 just to get an hours surfing in before we started tree planting. He'd be back between 6 and 7 for a 7am start.

That's the mentality. Won't let anything stop them getting out for a wave or two.

Jeezus you had to bring Garner into it.. SLF is officially triggered......

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Given a horse called Garner saluted for four bucks on Cup Day, I'd say those of us on the Panzerkampf Garnerwagon MkXIX are reaping the benefits.

Thanks for that. It makes alot of sense ... fits with what i was thinking about.

Cattle are different. All farming is hard work but cattle are big strong animals. And not having chalky bones (I knew people like that years ago).

Rohan only popped into my mind cos those two grew up playing footy together and were mates. He's an extreme example but a good one in terms of this conversation.

EVW played for Sandringham and went to Melbourne Grammer (he might have been school captain). I'm not having a go at any of our bayside residents (or from any other suburbs for that matter, I don't think it matter where the suburb is) but its a world of difference living on a farm where you have to work, even as a kid despite knocks and injuries and the suburbs where you don't. A cattle farm where you have to work and yell at or belt animals that are bigger and stronger than you makes it even more of a significant thing.

Actually surfers are similar imo because they'll surf as kids carrying minor (or even major) injuries if they really love surfing.

I used to work with a guy who was in his mid 40s. We were on a tree planting crew and sometimes we'd be working in the jungle behind Mullumbimby, so an hours drive from the coast, or from being in the water, by the time you get out of the site, down bush tracks and 15 km to the beach. He'd still be up at 4.30 just to get an hours surfing in before we started tree planting. He'd be back between 6 and 7 for a 7am start.

That's the mentality. Won't let anything stop them getting out for a wave or two.

And then there's blokes like Shannon Grant who grew up in the inner city, never saw a cow or a surfboard and who was remarkably resilient.

Maybe reading too much ibnto it all is a mug's game.

Given a horse called Garner saluted for four bucks on Cup Day, I'd say those of us on the Panzerkampf Garnerwagon MkXIX are reaping the benefits.
Extra points for citing Panzerkampfwagon.

And then there's blokes like Shannon Grant who grew up in the inner city, never saw a cow or a surfboard and who was remarkably resilient.

I'm sure that some people are genetically tough but I'm also pretty sure environmental factors make differences growing up. It'd be a hard thing to test tho. You'd need to study twins who were separated young to get any real evidence. I think more about this stuff now cos i've got young kids and wonder what I can expose them too to make their lives better in the long term.

Roughhousing and bashing each other for example (within reason), tho i'm not sure you're sposed to encourage your daughters to behave that way.

:D

Is TG a tank or does he just need to build one?

He's just like a World War II German tank.

Brutally effective and blessed with great weapons, but prone to breaking down, thirsty as all get out, and you need lots more of them than there are to win ultimate success.

He's just like a World War II German tank.

Brutally effective and blessed with great weapons, but prone to breaking down, thirsty as all get out, and you need lots more of them than there are to win ultimate success.
I was going to go with the Panther tank for him.

Now back to EVW (Beetle), reminds me of the Kubelwagon, reliable when going, but we don't see enough of him nowadays.

A similar (heated) discussion has been had on this before. Collision injuries in football are inevitable and they are essentially bad lack for the players involved. They are not the 'fault' of the players involved, nor are they avoidable via specific training (as some Sydney w@nker was claiming). Sure, you can train to strengthen knees, ankles, shoulders, etc. but you're s**t out of luck if you hit them hard enough on another player / the ground / goalposts, etc.

Soft tissue injuries are another matter altogether - I have no doubt that some players are more susceptible to these, and also that some specific training would be beneficial for prevention.

But collision injuries, they can happen to anyone. Just bad luck.

Back