Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know whether the oval needs to remain or not, but the club does not own, it rents - when the SANFL sold the land to the developers we retained I believe a 20 year rental contract for a nominal amount. Now that the development of the area has proven to be a big success for them, they want us to leave now rather than at the end of the contract, so they can finish it all in one go.
Not Rent but a lease agreement, meaning the developers have to pay if they want the Crows to move out early.
There lease expires in 2038,

Of course they shouldn't.

But they are unlikely to want our club to have a substantial footprint anywhere near the oval, same goes for the other mob too. I mean they didn't even want them to have their drunken village.

It won't have any impact on them at all. We won't be getting a license that competes with the SMA or other City/North Adelaide traders on game day. What we will hope to get is single purpose licenses that allow us to run away game functions that will bring people to North Adelaide, not steal them from existing traders. We might get a permanent license that allows us to provide an alcoholic beverage with a meal, but doubt that would extend beyond 2pm and doubtful full stop if it's not already in place at the aquatic centre.

The drunken village was directly eating into their market and literally metres away. It's not even similar.

It won't have any impact on them at all. We won't be getting a license that competes with the SMA or other City/North Adelaide traders on game day. What we will hope to get is single purpose licenses that allow us to run away game functions that will bring people to North Adelaide, not steal them from existing traders. We might get a permanent license that allows us to provide an alcoholic beverage with a meal, but doubt that would extend beyond 2pm and doubtful full stop if it's not already in place at the aquatic centre.

The drunken village was directly eating into their market and literally metres away. It's not even similar.
It's not so much the drinking side of things, it's the idea of a neutral venue.

Think I’ve missed a key component of the discussion
Possibly.

What I'm saying is the SMA would want to keep the ground free from any club signage and have it appear at least as a neutral venue. They'd want to stop the PAP "Footy Park is just for the Crows" rubbish.

It's still our home deck, but like pretty much every club now we need a bigger base away from AO itself. I think only Geelong has their training facilities at their actual home ground now.

Possibly.

What I'm saying is the SMA would want to keep the ground free from any club signage and have it appear at least as a neutral venue. They'd want to stop the PAP "Footy Park is just for the Crows" rubbish.

It's still our home deck, but like pretty much every club now we need a bigger base away from AO itself. I think only Geelong has their training facilities at their actual home ground now.
The opportunity to set up on the side of Adelaide Oval would in effect create something similar to Richmond and Punt Road. Players could go to the club and walk to the ground. If it was effectively behind the Tennis centre area and took over the 'village' area used for cricket, then you could fit in a training oval (one there already) and a centre/clubrooms without making it look like its the Crows oval.
Would be preferable outcome to the current plan.
Something like the following could work. Clubrooms etc... could be a combination of Crows, Tennis and even SACA usage (shared gym etc...) The oval already exists and could still be used as the 'Village Green' for Test matches etc...
The only hurdles would be the SACA wanting everything their way and Port having a big whinge - despite the numerous handouts that have had by the government over the past few years.

Attachments

• AO.png
    AO.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Possibly.

While the neutral venue is an aspect of how the ground is required to function, the one and only reason the SMA shut down the Port game day village was that it was siphoning away SMA profit.

The opportunity to set up on the side of Adelaide Oval would in effect create something similar to Richmond and Punt Road. Players could go to the club and walk to the ground. If it was effectively behind the Tennis centre area and took over the 'village' area used for cricket, then you could fit in a training oval (one there already) and a centre/clubrooms without making it look like its the Crows oval.
Would be preferable outcome to the current plan.
Something like the following could work. Clubrooms etc... could be a combination of Crows, Tennis and even SACA usage (shared gym etc...) The oval already exists and could still be used as the 'Village Green' for Test matches etc...
The only hurdles would be the SACE wanting everything their way and Port having a big whinge - despite the numerous handouts that have had by the government over the past few years.

Question, do Richmond have counter meals, pokies etc at their facility at Punt Road (or the Swinburne Centre as it’s currently known as) like Port Power do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Question, do Richmond have counter meals, pokies etc at their facility at Punt Road (or the Swinburne Centre as it’s currently known as) like Port Power do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a half hour drive from Punt Road!

Yes .. their supporter group seems to be similar to us though in their desire to have a social club/pub/restaurant at or near Punt Rd. Many seem to think the club should consider buying 1 of the pubs on Swan St for the purpose.

That in itself is probably part of the problem. There are a lot of pubs already within a 5-10 walk from the MCG and the Swinburne Centre, either across the road on Punt Rd or a little further down Swan St.

Yes .. their supporter group seems to be similar to us though in their desire to have a social club/pub/restaurant at or near Punt Rd. Many seem to think the club should consider buying 1 of the pubs on Swan St for the purpose.

That in itself is probably part of the problem. There are a lot of pubs already within a 5-10 walk from the MCG and the Swinburne Centre, either across the road on Punt Rd or a little further down Swan St.
Isn't Richmonds Pub/Social club just located in a good socio/economic area to maximize police revenue?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I can't believe the controversy on this. I don't want building on parklands either but this is really just replacing what is already there. I want it to happen but I would just about walk away.

The best example of how this can work is what the SACA did with Karen Rolten Oval. It looks really good, functional space and hasn't detracted one bit from the parklands.

People in this town are ridiculously obsessed about the parklands,

80% of our highly educated young people have to move interstate or overseas for work. We had to reduce our status to regional center to get enough migrants allocated to us to nearly balance out the population loss. Yet people still cry about some shitty dust parks.

The only reason there is land available for the AFC anywhere in the parklands is because of noisy residents and councillors. I’m all for keeping development out of all parklands, as it was intended in the city’s planning by good Ol’ Billy Light.

But if it’s for the AFC I DGAF about the green space or the residents or councils or the left handed one legged pigmy chook colony. FIRE UP THE BULLDOZERS!

Don't worry about councillors or residents, these are the dying screams of the irrelevant

Councillors make noise for re-election purposes and residents make noise to be relevant in life once more

This will happen

I hope you're right. There's more than enough park lands to go around and a good percentage is neglected anyway as there's just too much of it. This mandate of "must not increase the footprint" is typical, narrow minded thinking by council boards and elected members.

Don't worry about councillors or residents, these are the dying screams of the irrelevant

Councillors make noise for re-election purposes and residents make noise to be relevant in life once more

This will happen

I think it will but I think we need to remember they need this more than us and I don't want to see us compromise too much because they want to play it out in public.

People in this town are ridiculously obsessed about the parklands,

80% of our highly educated young people have to move interstate or overseas for work. We had to reduce our status to regional center to get enough migrants allocated to us to nearly balance out the population loss. Yet people still cry about some shitty dust parks.

I've always thought they should be reduced to just the parks that surround the CBD and then invest in them and make them all the standard you would expect in a botanical garden. Make them world-class, something that is worth seeing, an Australian version of Central Park.

I've always thought they should be reduced to just the parks that surround the CBD and then invest in them and make them all the standard you would expect in a botanical garden. Make them world-class, something that is worth seeing, an Australian version of Central Park.

I quite like what Brisbane did on the South Bank area cafes, markets restaraunts give people a reason to come into the areas

Back