2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on what he means by impressive. He might have been impressed with his own conversation and thought he did well.

"Goody asked me how my day was and I said "Good", so he said "That's good." and I said "It is good." and then he left. I thought it was a really good conversation."
A perfect conversation, no quid pro quo

Strongly agree with this, it makes Goody even weirder I reckon.

There was an article about May and his drinking/injuries this year which was really insightful and May came out and said that Goody hit him with some hard truths which were difficult to hear. It really crystallised the idea that there's a significant gulf in between the public and the private with Goody.
And whenever players are required to do extra fitness work because they've neglected it he always does it with them. May and OMac two examples

Getting your high end picks right half the time is fine it’s about average across the league, getting it right none of the time is the problem or as the club has done the last 3 years not even give yourself a chance.

It depends on your definition of ‘high end’. Picks 11 - 20 the strike rate is probably closer to 50% across all clubs. But these days picks 1 - 10 really do represent the cream of the crop. The strike rate is more like 70-80% from that group now. You can’t do what we’ve done and aggressively trade up the order to grab pick 8 to go with pick 3 and then proceed to burn one of those picks. 1 good’un from 2 will simply not be good enough from Taylor on this occasion. 2 from 2 or it’s a fail. He balls’d up the Weideman selection three drafts ago. A repeat of that dose here and you can just about shut the joint down.

It depends on your definition of ‘high end’. Picks 11 - 20 the strike rate is probably closer to 50% across all clubs. But these days picks 1 - 10 really do represent the cream of the crop. The strike rate is more like 70-80% from that group now. You can’t do what we’ve done and aggressively trade up the order to grab pick 8 to go with pick 3 and then proceed to burn one of those picks. 1 good’un from 2 will simply not be good enough from Taylor on this occasion. 2 from 2 or it’s a fail. He balls’d up the Weideman selection three drafts ago. A repeat of that dose here and you can just about shut the joint down.
Weid is a 22 year old key forward that has played 31 games around varies injuries, but he's a balls up? Haha, * me ...

Weid is a 22 year old key forward that has played 31 games around varies injuries, but he's a balls up? Haha, fu** me ...
mfw I'm best on ground in my club's first final in 12 years but everyone calls me a balls up failure

Weid is a 22 year old key forward that has played 31 games around varies injuries, but he's a balls up? Haha, fu** me ...

Yes, I believe he is.
I’m sure Weid will have the odd flukey game where the opposition pays him no mind like that final but the rule of thumb over his first 30 games is that he’s been extraordinarily ordinary. I’m sorry but you can’t deny that.
Carlton got a huge one over us there with either of McKay or Curnow. Both will be stars.

Yes, I believe he is.
I’m sure Weid will have the odd flukey game where the opposition pays him no mind like that final but the rule of thumb over his first 30 games is that he’s been extraordinarily ordinary. I’m sorry but you can’t deny that.
Carlton got a huge one over us there with either of McKay or Curnow. Both will be stars.
Both McKay and Curnow look considerably better than Weid. He's a great kick for goal(except after the siren to win a game), and he's proven to be able to take a good contested mark. Yet both McKay and Curnow have looked so much better in a team arguably worse than ours. I don't know what it is with him. I'm hoping it's that our forward half has been dysfunctional and with a better set up and better delivery, things will start to turn. We really need him to kick on like the Carlton boys have and take the next step. I'm not writing him off yet, but he's been bitterly disappointing thus far except for a few games. Hearing he won't be fully training until Xmas(?) Isn't an ideal start to the preseason either unfortunately.

Both McKay and Curnow look considerably better than Weid. He's a great kick for goal(except after the siren to win a game), and he's proven to be able to take a good contested mark. Yet both McKay and Curnow have looked so much better in a team arguably worse than ours. I don't know what it is with him. I'm hoping it's that our forward half has been dysfunctional and with a better set up and better delivery, things will start to turn. We really need him to kick on like the Carlton boys have and take the next step. I'm not writing him off yet, but he's been bitterly disappointing thus far except for a few games. Hearing he won't be fully training until Xmas(?) Isn't an ideal start to the preseason either unfortunately.

Charlie Curnow has nearly twice the games experience. He looked s**t to start with.

I don't think McKay is considerably better than Weid. Higher goal output but I don't think he does much else. When Weid is on he is a good link up option as well because his disposal is better than McKay.

Charlie Curnow has nearly twice the games experience. He looked s**t to start with.

I don't think McKay is considerably better than Weid. Higher goal output but I don't think he does much else. When Weid is on he is a good link up option as well because his disposal is better than McKay.
Carlton move the ball better and quicker going inside 50 than we do, at least when they're switched on. McKay would be dogshit with our slow bomb movement. Curnow would probably be quite good but what do you do.

Carlton move the ball better and quicker going inside 50 than we do, at least when they're switched on. McKay would be dogshit with our slow bomb movement. Curnow would probably be quite good but what do you do.

We need a "The Team Melbourne Could Have Had" 2020 edition. Can't over-analyze who we could have picked up with all our high draft picks over the years.

Exactly!

Interestingly Curnow had less goals than Weid at the same number of games played.

Saying that this year should be Weids break out and Ill start to get worried if he doesnt show more towards the end of the season.

Furthermore... everyone fists themselves over Curnow. If you take out his 7 goal game against the dogs (massive outlier in the statistical data) he averaged 1.1 goals a game this year.

Weid averaged 1.0

For this season they both played 11 games, Weid averaged more effective disposals going at 72% compared to 55% for Charlie.

Tackles are even. Marks inside 50 are even. Score involvements are even.

And Weid also helped in the ruck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North and StKilda were involved with a lot of those guys, so it wasn't a matter of taking the highest offer.
Nobody’s coming to Melbourne for unders, the blokes we brought in last year and the year before are massively overpaid

I be surprised if he hit rate for 1-10 was 70 to 80% but happy to be proven wrong it would confirm my opinion that top ten picks are worth their weight in gold.

I agree there is no doubt it would be great to strike gold with 3 and 8 this year after the monumental * up which was last trade period and the fact the club hasn’t drafted in the first round in three years, but I’ll take 1 gun and a miss, at the end of the day its nothing more than educated guesswork with a fair amount of luck thrown in, hopefully the more high picks we have the luckier we get.

I haven’t written Weid off yet but it would be fair to say 2020 is a big year for him after being next to useless this year

I love backing Weid in, I'm not 100% sure why but if he doesn't do anything in 2020 then I'll be ready to give him up more or less

Not many key forwards his age have been BOG in a final
He's an average player but it's hardly a bad pick. Honestly most highly rated junior KPFs turn out to be fairly average or decent at best early days anyway (Boyd, McCartin, Schache, Butcher, Watts, Wright, Day, Moore as a KPF, Patton). Weid isn't far off the mark of that group, and like most of them he's had ongoing injury issues. It's a high risk high reward process. Hasn't paid off that well for us but if you think it's a bust on JT's record you don't know much about the draft process. At least he works harder around the ground than most of those others and makes it to more contests. He just lacks the strength to hold marks (and maybe his hands aren't that good).

He's an average player but it's hardly a bad pick.

An average player selected in the top 10 of the draft is by definition a bad pick.

Why do all this horse trading, pick swapping and risk taking to get an extra high end selection if an ‘average player’ is acceptable? That doesn’t make sense and if that is your take then I’m afraid it’s you who doesn’t understand the drafting and recruiting process too well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back