Alternative fixture idea

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Exactly.

It would make the AFL credible and with an equal fixture.

Quality not quantity.
No it wouldn't.

17-5 is actually genius, once you understand it. Oh well.

Next best is a 17 round season, with expanded finals series? Perhaps the finals can be straight knockout, best of 3-game series'?
No it isn't.

Because next year that reverses

hey ulits better than weve got by a mile
Are flags going to be handed out every two years are they.
Exactly it is the best idea afl house has come up with in 30 years.
No it wasn't, it was idea that had holes flowing through it and it's why it was rejected.
50:50, flip of a coin, odds or evens. However you put it, it's about as fair as you can get.
9 home and 8 away is not 50/50.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Any possibility where a team has to travel interstate 7 weeks in a row (outside of rare occasions like Gold Coast in 2018) is less fair than the current arrangement.

Is travel the only thing fair about the current deal where a club can play at home .... how often in a row (cue this week we are at home, same oval but away next week).

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
17-5 initially looked good, but has more issues than the current system when trying to put it in practice

I like the OP a bit better, but would adjust the finals to 4 teams so its 17 + 7 + 2to3 rounds

once the eight has beat the 'cut' then only the points and percentage aquired among those teams makes it into the second phase.
so when they play a second time, away where they played a home game, the final table has 8 teams with 14 rounds in the table.

It might be a bit difficult to arrange equal home and away so a rolling by needs to be in there somewhere

I can see how it would be great for broadcasters: 4 cracking games each round

the other 10 would need to be a development comp with the emphasis on younger players. I don't know what it would do for state leagues like VFL though
Do you know in current finals some teams get no home games and other teams get all home games? How is 3 home games vs 2 home games not ok in the first stage of finals but in the final stage (which we already have now) it's completely fine to have some teams play nothing but home finals and other teams get none? The teams who get 3 earn it because they played better in the home and away. It's a positive of the system not a negative.

17-5 improves greatly on the current system with virtually no negatives to the current system at all. Its genius.

Fair draw where everyone plays each other once before finals.

More exciting match ups

Home and away games are more important. A third of the current season is basically a waste of time.

Finals effectively are longer meaning we are more likely to get the best team as the actual winner.

Its win win win win.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
No it wouldn't.

No it isn't.

Are flags going to be handed out every two years are they.

No it wasn't, it was idea that had holes flowing through it and it's why it was rejected.

9 home and 8 away is not 50/50.
It has no holes relative to the current system. Literally none. What people thought were holes were either actually positives or were holes relative to their own alternative systems and not to the current system.

It is genius.

The 9 vs 8 issue can easily be solved. Have a neutral round. West coast vs freo, crows vs port, vic team vs vic team at neutral grounds. Only team that loses is geelong but they have this problem in the current system anyway. If you actually had an even draw with 18 teams the interstate team that played home against their interstate rival would be dudded a game in their home state relative to their rival. Its actually fairer with a 17 team comp and a neutral round.

Last edited:
May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
It has no holes relative to the current system. Literally none. What people thought were holes were either actually positives or were holes relative to their own alternative systems and not to the current system.

It is genius.

The 9 vs 8 issue can easily be solved. Have a neutral round. West coast vs freo, crows vs port, vic team vs vic team at neutral grounds. Only team that loses is geelong but they have this problem in the current system anyway. If you actually had an even draw with 18 teams the interstate team that played home against their interstate rival would be dudded a game in their home state relative to their rival. Its actually fairer with a 17 team comp and a neutral round.
9 v 8 is already a hole and you are trying to fill it by suggesting a neutral round so it's not genius if you need to invent something to make it sound plausible.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
9 v 8 is already a hole and you are trying to fill it by suggesting a neutral round so it's not genius if you need to invent something to make it sound plausible.

What it doesnt fit is the GF, so that not genius either, like the current system, its loaded - reality is you earn finals location based on a fairer system.

Of course it doesnt deal with stadium deal either, its about fairness & its fairer, there is no FIX involved (just the GF), its transparent.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
What it doesnt fit is the GF, so that not genius either, like the current system, its loaded - reality is you earn finals location based on a fairer system.

Of course it doesnt deal with stadium deal either, its about fairness & its fairer, there is no FIX involved (just the GF), its transparent.
Nothing wrong with the current system because unlike past systems it has removed the possibility of top teams getting multiple bottom teams the following year twice and vice versa.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
I don't like the 17 game fixture, but the uneven home/away thing isnt actually a big issue.

Simple for interstate teams.
ie
Freo 9 H (incl Derby)
WC 8 H (+away Derby)

Only thing changing each year is who gets the revenue / which fans attend. Both teams still travel the same amount.

The issue is who you are drawn to play Home v Away each year could have a massive impact on where you finish, not the uneven number.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I don't like the 17 game fixture, but the uneven home/away thing isnt actually a big issue.

ie
Freo 9 H (incl Derby)
WC 8 H (+away Derby)

Only thing changing each year is who gets the revenue / which fans attend. Both teams still travel the same amount.

The issue is who you are drawn to play Home v Away each year could have a massive impact on where you finish, not the uneven number.
Until Freo tell the AFL that they insist West Coast is not part of their 9 home games and that is how home game manipulation can be attained, ditto in the other three non vic states.

Tell me, would WCE fans stand by and say " oh well " if they were to miss top 4 or top 8 by virtue of playing 8 home games to a team who had 9 home games because me thinks eagles fans would be screaming from the roof tops demanding the 9 home vs 8 home fixture be abolished with the way you eagle fans have carried on about home ground advantage of late.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

ie
Freo 9 H (incl Derby)
WC 8 H (+away Derby)

Just split the revenue on the derby. I.e. make the derby a neutral game. Problem solved.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Wtf? The problem is solved by neutral round. You cant say it is still a flaw if there is a solution to it. That just shows you just dont like 17-5 for the sake of not liking it. Not because you have actual justifiable reasons for not liking it.

The problem is completely solved. Come up with new problems to 17-5 if you still want to reject it using argument and logic rather then some emotional reason like not liking change for the sake of it.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
players wont play more games. This is basically 17-5, which is a good idea but has the same issues which is how do u get everyone 11 home games.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Until Freo tell the AFL that they insist West Coast is not part of their 9 home games and that is how home game manipulation can be attained, ditto in the other three non vic states.

Tell me, would WCE fans stand by and say " oh well " if they were to miss top 4 or top 8 by virtue of playing 8 home games to a team who had 9 home games because me thinks eagles fans would be screaming from the roof tops demanding the 9 home vs 8 home fixture be abolished with the way you eagle fans have carried on about home ground advantage of late.
Seriously you are still arguing over this point even though you have been told the solution to it and want to reject the solution because having a solution means what exactly?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Seriously you are still arguing over this point even though you have been told the solution to it and want to reject the solution because having a solution means what exactly?
I have a heap of questions that continue to pump holes through the stupid 17-5 idea, like who gets 9 home games in the 17 game part and who plays who and where in the 5 game part, are stadium deals squashed, how are memberships structured etc i could keep going but seeing as you think 17-5 is so genius how about you answer those questions for me. ;)

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The only real solution will lie in bringing in a team in Tassie, to make a 19 Team comp.

18 H&A Games with one bye means 19 round season.
9 Home games, 9 Away games... all fair
Set fixture of home games (host a team one year, away against them the following)
For interstate trips its easy - 1 trip to each state per year (so WCE one year the Freo the next, Brisbane one year then GCS the nect etc.)
Means all interstate trips are equal bar 1 trip to tassie every second year
Means others cant whinge about how much travels other clubs do/don't

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Idea I had was to go to 18-4, play 17 teams plus a rival twice. That lets you keep Anzac day etc which Tv will want.

Then you split into a top 10 and group them 1,4,5,8,10 and 2,3,67,9 or something and play the 4 in your group continuing the ladder with just the top 10 and then a final 8 as usual.

The bottom 8 will play for money or a preseason draft pick.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The Idea I had was to go to 18-4, play 17 teams plus a rival twice. That lets you keep Anzac day etc which Tv will want.

Then you split into a top 10 and group them 1,4,5,8,10 and 2,3,67,9 or something and play the 4 in your group continuing the ladder with just the top 10 and then a final 8 as usual.

The bottom 8 will play for money or a preseason draft pick.
Anzac day game still exists with teams playing each other only once in the home and away. You get that right? What a weird argument. It actually makes rivalry games more powerful and gives them more prestige if there is only one a year.

Back