Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
We all get that you are on a Chris Scott hate crusade and that you have taken your campaign from the Geelong board to the main board. Apart from the reigning premiership coach in any year you can probably level criticism at any coach. My view is that a club needs to remove a coach if the coach has lost the support of the team and if the club is losing more games than it is winning. As far as I am aware Scott hasn't lost the players, and the side he coaches did finish on top after the H&A. I concede it was not a convincing top of the ladder finish

Thanks for the advice.

You were the mentioning that we didn't have any top 10 picks. I simply pointed out the fact that not too long ago we were able to recruit and develop magnificent footballers outside the top 10. Same recruiter too. So I don't see why we can't do that again.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Under Thompson, Hawkins:

- Kicked 3 on debut
- In his first five games, kicked 3 once and 4 goals twice
- Was a premiership forward in his 3rd year

We haven't had a young key forward come remotely close to that under Scott.

and what exactly did he do outside of those sporadic moments? He was the club whipping boy for 4 years and SuperCoach wasn’t even sure what his best role was so he can’t have been doing all that well.

taylor kicked a handful of bags of 4+ in his first and to date only year as arelief forward and all Scott copped for it was crap.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
In my opinion Kardinia Park is both a blessing and a curse for Geelong.
Having lived and worked in Geelong during the 80's you come to realise how important the football club is to the city, this gives Geelong a unique identity as a historic VFL/AFL foundation club with a strong history but also a small town feel, hope that makes sense!
Kardinia Park has always been a fortress for Geelong but is even more of a fortress in the era of Melbourne clubs sharing the MCG and Colonial/Telstra/Etihad/Marvel Stadium. The Cats play it's narrower dimensions brilliantly and rarely miss finals or bottom out... the blessing.
The curse is that Kardinia Park form recently hasn't translated to finals form and not bottoming out precludes high draft picks and the Cats have relied on good trading and some outrageously good Father/Sons.
Can easily see the Cats making finals and challenging top four again.

In my opinion Kardinia Park is both a blessing and a curse for Geelong.
Having lived and worked in Geelong during the 80's you come to realise how important the football club is to the city, this gives Geelong a unique identity as a historic VFL/AFL foundation club with a strong history but also a small town feel, hope that makes sense!
Kardinia Park has always been a fortress for Geelong but is even more of a fortress in the era of Melbourne clubs sharing the MCG and Colonial/Telstra/Etihad/Marvel Stadium. The Cats play it's narrower dimensions brilliantly and rarely miss finals or bottom out... the blessing.
The curse is that Kardinia Park form recently hasn't translated to finals form and not bottoming out precludes high draft picks and the Cats have relied on good trading and some outrageously good Father/Sons.
Can easily see the Cats making finals and challenging top four again.
You're right, but Kardinia Park wasn't a curse between 2007 and 2011 when the team was strong across all lines. I agree playing home games on the narrow fortress between 2012 and 2019 has been a curse because it has masked deficiencies

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
You're right, but Kardinia Park wasn't a curse between 2007 and 2011 when the team was strong across all lines. I agree playing home games on the narrow fortress between 2012 and 2019 has been a curse because it has masked deficiencies

Our ground does not have masked deficiencies at all
The deficiency is the senior coach and that is clear as day. The slow build up play and chipping around in the back half is a product of Chris Scott.
Mark Thompson's style of football worked on all ground venues because the players had freedom to play to their natural abilities.

Scott gets to the MCG and orchestrates a putrid slow game plan on a much wider ground.

Our ground does not have masked deficiencies at all
The deficiency is the senior coach and that is clear as day. The slow build up play and chipping around in the back half is a product of Chris Scott.
Mark Thompson's style of football worked on all ground venues because the players had freedom to play to their natural abilities.

Scott gets to the MCG and orchestrates a putrid slow game plan on a much wider ground.
I didn't say KP has masked deficiencies. I am saying playing at the fortress masks deficiencies. We are just not that good.

We beat WCE on the MCG and put up a decent fight v Richmond without a recognised forward.

Bomber Thompson's style didn't work in the 2010 PF

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I didn't say KP has masked deficiencies. I am saying playing at the fortress masks deficiencies. We are just not that good.

We beat WCE on the MCG and put up a decent fight v Richmond without a recognised forward.

Bomber Thompson's style didn't work in the 2010 PF

Scott's style has not worked since 2011 so what is your point here?

And don't give me this unrecognized forward crap. Richmond were missing their best defender.

I want to know why our club has not managed to make it to another grand final for 8 years and we have topped up with ready-made players from other clubs and brought in a legitimate top 3 player in Dangerfield.
What is Chris's excuse and why does he not change the game style if it's not working?

And one last thing, please tell me why this coach continually believes it's ok to not play a recognized ruckman against the opposing teams in finals?

Is he insane or is his ego inflated beyond repair?

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Scott's style has not worked since 2011 so what is your point here?

And don't give me this unrecognized forward crap. Richmond were missing their best defender.

I want to know why our club has not managed to make it to another grand final for 8 years and we have topped up with ready-made players from other clubs and brought in a legitimate top 3 player in Dangerfield.
What is Chris's excuse and why does he not change the game style if it's not working?

And one last thing, please tell me why this coach continually believes it's ok to not play a recognized ruckman against the opposing teams in finals?

Is he insane or is his ego inflated beyond repair?

All I'm replying to is this post, every club has its strengths & weaknesses.

#1 I don't believe you are actually a Cats supporter. The 'interchangeables' on this site are ridiculous, reel me in!

#2 Richmond didn't have Rance all year, so why use him here.? Grimes & Astbury covered the loss well. Geelong legitimately did not have a recognised fwd in that game.

#3 Not playing a ruck and using Blitz in that position may have meant Stanley wasn't fit to play in that particular game.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
All I'm replying to is this post, every club has its strengths & weaknesses.

#1 I don't believe you are actually a Cats supporter. The 'interchangeables' on this site are ridiculous, reel me in!

#2 Richmond didn't have Rance all year, so why use him here.? Grimes & Astbury covered the loss well. Geelong legitimately did not have a recognised fwd in that game.

#3 Not playing a ruck and using Blitz in that position may have meant Stanley wasn't fit to play in that particular game.

Hawkins did not play, so why use his absence as an excuse.
We led Richmond at halftime but what is our excuse for the 2nd half performance?
Surely you are not insinuating Hawkins would have stood up when the heat was on are you?

You do realize Richmond lost two players midway through the final and were down rotations on the bench.
If they lose the game, can Richmond supporters rightfully bring up that as an excuse?

I speak of the horrendous decision to play no recognized ruck against Collingwood in week 1 and guess what the excuse was for that decision . . . we thought there was a strong forecast of rain on the night :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins did not play, so why use his absence as an excuse.
We led Richmond at halftime but what is our excuse for the 2nd half performance?
Surely you are not insinuating Hawkins would have stood up when the heat was on are you?

You do realize Richmond lost two players midway through the final and were down rotations on the bench.
If they lose the game, can Richmond supporters rightfully bring up that as an excuse?

I speak of the horrendous decision to play no recognized ruck against Collingwood in week 1 and guess what the excuse was for that decision . . . we thought there was a strong forecast of rain on the night :think:

tough as it might be to believe, I would have thought that after being arguably best on ground a week earlier in a sudden death final at the same venue, Hawkins could have made a difference at the same venue in a sudden death final.

Stupid I know but it’s just a gut feel sort of thing

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
tough as it might be to believe, I would have thought that after being arguably best on ground a week earlier in a sudden death final at the same venue, Hawkins could have made a difference at the same venue in a sudden death final.

Stupid I know but it’s just a gut feel sort of thing

You know as well as I do, the guy never backs it up two weeks in a row in the finals. My gut feel is he would have been good for 5 marks, 2 goals and 12 disposals and our forward line would have been fairly one dimensional as we would have looked for him often preventing Kelly and Miers from impacting the game offensively.

History is a great teacher and Hawkins just isn't a consistent finals performer and never will be unfortunately.

Danger2Jenkins

Knight of the Teutonic Order
Oct 17, 2019
Moe Heights
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Moe Bushrangers
Pretty obvious we crumble under finals pressure for some strange reason. Finish top 2 most years then can't make a single Grand Final out of the last 7 cracks. 4 prelims and lost them all.

I'd give Bomber or Mick a call. Still at least 3 or so seasons of contending

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
SCOTTgazza.jpg

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pretty obvious we crumble under finals pressure for some strange reason. Finish top 2 most years then can't make a single Grand Final out of the last 7 cracks. 4 prelims and lost them all.

I'd give Bomber or Mick a call. Still at least 3 or so seasons of contending
I disagree. Geelong will not make the top 8 in 2020. The cliff has arrived.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
That side played ALL grounds well as it had the best players and the best system, enjoyed watching the Cats during this period (apart from the Richmond games), they all had great confidence in each other and a great back six/seven.
It's no secret that this Richmond team is modeled on that team, great trust and a great back six/seven.
For a neutral, the Geelong/Hawthorn games were must viewing, not so much now.

Bluey Shelton

Debutant
Nov 12, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Because they have an ordinary coach who is more interested in reacting to umpire decisions than making adjustments to the team, they have a selfish player in Dangerfield who can’t kick goals or hit targets on the run and the game all about him and their forward line relies on Hawkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back