List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

South Australian defender Will Day supports the Gold Coast Suns, as he’s followed his cousin Sam Day ever since he was drafted in 2010. “It has been a bit tough but I’ll stick by them,” he says

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems like Sam, huge potential. Still pretty raw.
Depends on who is left on the board after day 1 I would be up for us trading pick 20 for say pick 25 and a future pick with day in mind.

South Australian defender Will Day supports the Gold Coast Suns, as he’s followed his cousin Sam Day ever since he was drafted in 2010. “It has been a bit tough but I’ll stick by them,” he says

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wouldn’t be a Suns draft unless we drafted a skinny, high potential flanker ;)

Is it just me or have we just pretty much moved on from the Martin non-trade?
I am not fussed what happens, just moved on to the draft picks.

We had a reasonable position on a trade, especially given the money being talked about by the Melbourne media and the draft picks we already had. The Blues waited for us to blink at the last minute and we didn't. The Blues may well get Martin without giving up draft picks, but when they next talk to a player about changing clubs the Papley and Martin public non-trades will come up. And those non-trades will be factored in (of course, the Blues will put all the blame on SOS). Just like the fact that we did not blink will come up as well and will be factored in.

Would much prefer a deal to have been done around picks 9 and 15 since there should have been one to make there, but it wasn't. Moving on.

Is it just me or have we just pretty much moved on from the Martin non-trade?
I am not fussed what happens, just moved on to the draft picks.

We had a reasonable position on a trade, especially given the money being talked about by the Melbourne media and the draft picks we already had. The Blues waited for us to blink at the last minute and we didn't. The Blues may well get Martin without giving up draft picks, but when they next talk to a player about changing clubs the Papley and Martin public non-trades will come up. And those non-trades will be factored in (of course, the Blues will put all the blame on SOS). Just like the fact that we did not blink will come up as well and will be factored in.

Would much prefer a deal to have been done around picks 9 and 15 since there should have been one to make there, but it wasn't. Moving on.

Agree - there is a value to not doing the trade, it's just that it won't bare fruit this year but should be factored into improving a number of future deals.

The illegal behaviour of CFC shouldn’t be ignored. So no moving on until that club is sanctioned for Draft Tampering.

Don't know what draft tampering is going on. He's out of contract, hasn't resigned, will have to take his chances in the draft.

He was ******* woeful last year.

I see on Instagram plenty of him eating and drinking and not much training. He's just got woeful habits and we need to get him a million miles away from our club.

You can expect some gloating Bloos fans once they get Martin, the funny bit is they can’t seem to grasp the concept that they have damaged their brand with clubs, managers and players.

clubs can now lowball Carlton on any OOC player and they have no leg to stand on and if you were a player looking to move why would you consider Carlton when they can’t get a deal done and you may end up in the draft.

Is this usual Jon Ralph's rubbish or any truth to it? I guess Martin lost his passion for footy because May and KK left the club? This is Melbourne journalism at its best.
Martin has genuine reasons why he doesn’t want to be at the Suns that relate to his relationships with ex-Gold Coast players now at the Demons.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this usual Jon Ralph's rubbish or any truth to it? I guess Martin lost his passion for footy because May and KK left the club. This is Melbourne journalism at its best.

Is Ralph saying he wants out because he’s mates with KK and May? Yet doesn’t want to go to Melbourne? I’m a tad confused by that.

Is this usual Jon Ralph's rubbish or any truth to it? I guess Martin lost his passion for footy because May and KK left the club. This is Melbourne journalism at its best.

I’d say there is some truth to it.
Ah Chee said to me one of the reasons for him leaving was because he lost his passion for the game at the Suns

Imo both are not a big loss for our club.

I’d say there is some truth to it.
Ah Chee said to me one of the reasons for him leaving was because he lost his passion for the game at the Suns

Imo both are not a big loss for our club.

You can only lose for so long before it gets tiring. Can’t fault either but I reckon we are better off with new kids and without them

Life post footy will have its way with people like them. When you are up against the wall you fight. They were part of the problem it seems.

Don't blame your environment. Put your runners on in the off season and harden the * up and take responsibility for your own career

I’m not fond on picking up Weightman just got enough similar players to him on the list. Gould or another defender would be my suggestion
Must say Weightman doesn’t excite me that much either. RTTD podcast described him as more of a Paul Medhurst than a Jamie Elliott, and his highlights didn’t do much for me. That said, the club apparently is keen and he loves a surf.

Must say Weightman doesn’t excite me that much either. RTTD podcast described him as more of a Paul Medhurst than a Jamie Elliott, and his highlights didn’t do much for me. That said, the club apparently is keen and he loves a surf.

It sounds like he has suitors before our pick so may not be a choice we have to make

I had you guys on our boards mock draft.

I ended up with Rowell, Anderson, Cody Weightman and Cooper Stephens. (We only

Thoughts?
Hm, decent players but not the best fit I reckon.

We're looking at playing Miles +- Miller even in the reserves as it stands so not sure Cooper would be getting a game anytime soon.
brodie, bowes, swallow, greenwood, rowell, macpherson, miller, miles the inside mid options at present

Wweightman seems a bit of a Ben Ainsworth clone but less capacity to play midfield.
With Ainsworth, Rankine, Sexton, Macpherson spending majority of time up forward with stints in the midfield, I don't think we would go for another small forward.
Also have 175cm Budarick who will start in NEAFL but potentially as a pressure forward
Anderson who will spend time forward when he comes in.

I'd say bigger areas of need after A grade mid talent (Rowell and Anderson tick) are talent in defence - apart from Harbrow, we are very workmanlike back there. (Rivers, Gould, Sharp?)

or outside mid with class - we have Ellis, Powell, Fiorini + rotating forwards Ainsworth, ?Rankine - but pretty thin here.

Hm, decent players but not the best fit I reckon.

We're looking at playing Miles +- Miller even in the reserves as it stands so not sure Cooper would be getting a game anytime soon.
brodie, bowes, swallow, greenwood, rowell, macpherson, miller, miles the inside mid options at present

Wweightman seems a bit of a Ben Ainsworth clone but less capacity to play midfield.
With Ainsworth, Rankine, Sexton, Macpherson spending majority of time up forward with stints in the midfield, I don't think we would go for another small forward.
Also have 175cm Budarick who will start in NEAFL but potentially as a pressure forward
Anderson who will spend time forward when he comes in.

I'd say bigger areas of need after A grade mid talent (Rowell and Anderson tick) are talent in defence - apart from Harbrow, we are very workmanlike back there. (Rivers, Gould, Sharp?)

or outside mid with class - we have Ellis, Powell, Fiorini + rotating forwards Ainsworth, ?Rankine - but pretty thin here.

All good reasons.

Weightman was taken before Stephens. (17 and 22 once bids matched)

I did think about Rankine and Ainsworth but figured both would be pushing midfield eventually or at least take up one spot between them (As in one in the middle the other forward and they switch) Weightman I see as a pure small forward and thought he might be good matched up with king long term. I was tossing up between him and Gould (who went the next pick) I am just not sure on Gould ever being able to reach the fitness levels required to play AFL football.

Should have taken him though based on what you and others have said.

My other options I was thinking about when I took Stephens were Miles Bergman and Harry Schoenberg but they don't seem tof it what you want either. Good to read your thoughts though. Thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back