List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

We walked into the trade period with Papley our principle 'realistic target. Martin @ 2 and then had Betts and Butler behind them.
Likely that we could have got Butler but didn't need him if Papley and Martin came on board......ooops

That alone suggests to me that goal-kicking forwards were on top of our list. I can't see it any other way.
Not a midfielder not back-man amongst that group.

I wonder where Martin will be played? What do you think?

Think that is once again selective, you may have forgotten Cogs. Forgetting Betts who won't be around when we are a serious contender, but all players targeted have one thing in common, elite disposal

Just like Newman, McGovern and Setters (more elite hands) the year before

I think Martin will play off HB/wing, but like all versatile players will rotate where needed, depending who is available

Think that is once again selective, you may have forgotten Cogs. Forgetting Betts who won't be around when we are a serious contender, but all players targeted have one thing in common, elite disposal

Just like Newman, McGovern and Setters (more elite hands) the year before

I think Martin will play off HB/wing, but like all versatile players will rotate where needed, depending who is available

I didn't forget Coniglio but related the discussion to the trade period. (It's written)
I wanted Coniglio as he was perfect for us and would have made for a genuine goal-kicking mid. Perfect.

How much that Martin will start forward? Listening to Teague yesterday suggests this to me and more so for missing on Papley.

Martin CCurnow Cuningham
Betts Mckay McGovern...............All being well, this may be the way it sets off come the first bounce of the year.

I didn't forget Coniglio but related the discussion to the trade period. (It's written)
I wanted Coniglio as he was perfect for us and would have made for a genuine goal-kicking mid. Perfect.

How much that Martin will start forward? Listening to Teague yesterday suggests this to me and more so for missing on Papley.

Martin CCurnow Cuningham
Betts Mckay McGovern...............All being well, this may be the way it sets off come the first bounce of the year.

Have already stated HB/wing, with rotations forward, depending availability of players

Martin won't be a permanent forward

Have already stated HB/wing, with rotations forward, depending availability of players

Martin won't be a permanent forward
Agree with you, Jack Martin is too talented to be a one dimensional player and can be positioned where he’s needed, an attacking & creative Half Back with very good ball distribution or as midfielder / wingman.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about where to play Jack Martin yet boys and girls.
Papley was a done deal remember.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very different.

Papley had years remaining on his contract. Sydney were well within their rights to hold him to that, just as we did with Gibbs.

Martin is now out of contract and has no interest in returning to the Suns.

I have not seen a lot of him - forgetting our needs, is this where you believe he has played his best footy when allowed consistency in a position?

Is dangerous in any position, just think it would give him a more focused approach, that will km allow for greater consistency for him and more efficiency for the team

Is dangerous in any position, just think it would give him a more focused approach, that will km allow for greater consistency for him and more efficiency for the team

Good to keep in mind that if we want to move JM around the park, that means other players are moving too. We've got plenty who can play a second position, and options are good, but the more they get used to playing specific roles, the better they'll become at performing them effectively. Moving Martin on-ball for a spark of creativity in the middle is a nice idea, but if it pushes Silvagni to the back line and Curnow to a forward pocket, does the system as a whole break down?

Personally, I see Martin best suited to a high HFF role. When the ball is in the middle, he's about three quarters of a kick away, ready to pounce on a rushed clearance and turn it into a quick scoring opportunity. When the ball is in our forward 50, he's around the stoppages as much as possible. and then I see him pushing up a wing when the ball is in defence, as he's a good outlet target with his ability in the air, and well suited to then hit a player running through the corridor in transition. With the way whole teams shift depending on where the ball is, a single defined position has multiple facets to it. If we equate it to netball (uh-oh...), he's a Wing Attack - operating between the defensive 50 line and the attacking goalsquare.

Absolute farce! I thought the AFL was going to outlaw Sydney’s “draft pick parking” strategy from last year, not encourage it.

Im all for live pick swapping but it cannot coexist with academy bidding. It just does not work and leaves everything open for manipulation.

Absolute farce! I thought the AFL was going to outlaw Sydney’s “draft pick parking” strategy from last year, not encourage it.

Im all for live pick swapping but it cannot coexist with academy bidding. It just does not work and leaves everything open for manipulation.
Might work in our favour if we get the chance to swap with GWS for 6.
Our 2020 first would mean they get Green for late pick points so they should be up for it.
Their 2020 2nd for our picks 43 57 70 gives them 600 and they'd only be 150-odd short.

Last edited:
Good to keep in mind that if we want to move JM around the park, that means other players are moving too. We've got plenty who can play a second position, and options are good, but the more they get used to playing specific roles, the better they'll become at performing them effectively. Moving Martin on-ball for a spark of creativity in the middle is a nice idea, but if it pushes Silvagni to the back line and Curnow to a forward pocket, does the system as a whole break down?

Personally, I see Martin best suited to a high HFF role. When the ball is in the middle, he's about three quarters of a kick away, ready to pounce on a rushed clearance and turn it into a quick scoring opportunity. When the ball is in our forward 50, he's around the stoppages as much as possible. and then I see him pushing up a wing when the ball is in defence, as he's a good outlet target with his ability in the air, and well suited to then hit a player running through the corridor in transition. With the way whole teams shift depending on where the ball is, a single defined position has multiple facets to it. If we equate it to netball (uh-oh...), he's a Wing Attack - operating between the defensive 50 line and the attacking goalsquare.

I think Martin's strong suit is his foot skills, forwards would love being on the end of a pass

Still believe he could be our HB linebreaker, but anywhere from HB, wing, HF would be beneficial to his attacking, creative nature

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Martin's strong suit is his foot skills, forwards would love being on the end of a pass

Still believe he could be our HB linebreaker, but anywhere from HB, wing, HF would be beneficial to his attacking, creative nature
I get a feeling that if we get him in PSD that he will become one of the elite wingman of the comp. Not far off being a bit ‘Bradley Hill like’. Just my opinion though.

I get a feeling that if we get him in PSD that he will become one of the elite wingman of the comp. Not far off being a bit ‘Bradley Hill like’. Just my opinion though.

Don't disagree with that, being a damaging wingman.

Couple of crucial differences:

Don't think he has a Hill like tank, but is more courageous and better in the air

Don't disagree with that, being a damaging wingman.

Couple of crucial differences:

Don't think he has a Hill like tank, but is more courageous and better in the air
Fully agree with that. I was going to mention the tank point you make as I knew that Hill’s is exceptional but then wasn’t sure about Martin’s.

Do you know if his endurance numbers have been below or above par?

Fully agree with that. I was going to mention the tank point you make as I knew that Hill’s is exceptional but then wasn’t sure about Martin’s.

Do you know if his endurance numbers have been below or above par?

His endurance is very good, way above average, but just shy of Hill

Martin will play HF imo and like 99% of HF‘s in the league these days (non third talls) he will play right up to the CHB line and be a transition link up player where hopefully he can use his skills to break lines and hit targets.
With all this being said where does this leave silvagni? Not really a backline player with the run and dash. In Martin scenario we still have dow,obrien,Kennedy where do they fit in? A fit Docherty, williamson, marchbank to defence, where does SPS sit? Then we look afield at setters, Fisher, newnes, walsh possibly cunners on outside? Where do they all fit? If stocker comes good he goes inside with cripps. Murphy, curnow rotating. Jury out on Lang? Why did we keep him and lastly polson pretty much gone. Nice to have depth but would love feedback in how this all works. Who do you think of this list will be playing year in the 2's?

With all this being said where does this leave silvagni? Not really a backline player with the run and dash. In Martin scenario we still have dow,obrien,Kennedy where do they fit in? A fit Docherty, williamson, marchbank to defence, where does SPS sit? Then we look afield at setters, Fisher, newnes, walsh possibly cunners on outside? Where do they all fit? If stocker comes good he goes inside with cripps. Murphy, curnow rotating. Jury out on Lang? Why did we keep him and lastly polson pretty much gone. Nice to have depth but would love feedback in how this all works. Who do you think of this list will be playing year in the 2's?
A number of those noted will be fronting up in the VFL - dependent on form & fitness,
There will be pressure on each player for their spot in the side, which can only be a good thing.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Polson and Lang should’ve been delisted imo, but that’s just me.
For me if we are healthy Kennedy and JSOS will probably be fighting for the one spot and that will be coming off the bench with stints through the midfield and forward. I also wouldn’t be against us trying to turn JSOS into a tagger but he probably has limited matchups because he wouldn’t be able to run with some players. I would like him to get jobs on players like Fyfe, Bont, Martin, Oliver ect. I just think that’s his best chance to cement a spot in this side.
As for those other players I’m hoping we are at a point where we can just play our best side with best players in their best positions and let them develop in the VFL until they are ready. LOB should have to earn his spot this year on the wing against most likely Walsh, Newnes, Setters, Fish. Hopefully Setterfield should improve enough to get into the midfield rotations more, same with Walsh. Fish also getting time on the HFF, aswell as off the wing.
Williamson will have to bang down the door in the VFL first.
Dow doesn’t seem to have a second position so I imagine he will have to force his way into the side as a midfielder. I don’t see the point of gifting him games then playing him out of position.
Cuningham will play forward.
Stocker should be a midfielder imo so I wouldn’t mind if he spent most of the season in the VFL until his running is upto standard. Physically he is ready, it’s just his running that will let him down. If Doc goes down though I wouldn’t be surprised if we try to transform him into our version of Hodge, Doc, Hurn ect.
SPS either needs to get fitter to force his way into our midfield or stay back imo.

This is extremely subjective but
For me the starting forward line is
Martin Curnow Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern

Backline
Plowman Jones Doc
Newman Weitering Marchbank

from there just pick your best 5 starting mids/wings and ruck.

Players like SPS and Simpson probably aren’t in that but are great off the bench because they can play mid/wing and back. Someone like Fisher can play mid and forward. SOJ can play several roles or look for the next best mid. That will be a balanced side. It will also allow players to play and develop at AFL level because they aren’t getting played out of position. Then play the guys who miss out in the role you want them to learn in the VFL rather than gifting them pointless games playing out of position.

Though this theory rarely works out because of injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back