Preview 2019 Goodbye (To 2020) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ebert as a forward works. Prior to his concussion, his stats for 2019 were:
Round 1: 23d, 1g, 9 marks, 2 contested
Round 2: 23d, 3.1g, 7 marks 2 contested
Round 3: 14d, 0.2g, 3 marks 1 contested
Round 4: 23d, 2.1g, 9 marks 1 contested
Round 5: 16d, 2.1g, 5 marks 2 contested
Round 6, 21d, 2.3g, 3 marks 1 contested.

I don't see him as a key forward, but by anyone's reckoning that's a solid contribution. I'm only piping up now because as a long time lurker and (very) occasional poster I've certainly noticed an increase in knee-jerk, negative responses on this board. Genuine, constructive criticism is warranted (e.g., f50 entry, forward setup, development of tall forwards, kinkley) but trashing the idea of Ebert as a forward when he was clearly one of our more consistent performers early this year is pretty average.

Who's trashing the idea of Ebert as a fwd?

The trashing is of the idea of Ebert as KEY Fwd

What there does seem to be an increase in is new or rarely used accounts slamming any negativity

What there does seem to be an increase in is new or rarely used accounts slamming any negativity

"We tried ebert forward he did nothing? Why the fu** is Bassett still our forwards coach?" - literally the first post on the last page.

and i'll admit it, you got me - im actually ken hinkleys newest alias, torching any naysayers on bigfooty so my contract gets extended

Of all our players, Motlop dis-appointed me the most last season. More natural ability than a lot of our players. A shame to see it wasted in 2019.

I think his early return to training is a good sign that he's determined to make 2020 a big year.

"We tried ebert forward he did nothing? Why the fu** is Bassett still our forwards coach?" - literally the first post on the last page.

and i'll admit it, you got me - im actually ken hinkleys newest alias, torching any naysayers on bigfooty so my contract gets extended

1 post and everyone jumped in and corrected it. And he had a point about Bassett. Our fwd line was a dogs breakfast

I find the continued modern type messaging of a repetitive system/method of play completely uninspiring I mean I know a strong element of that has to exist but our sport just in it's nature has more chance/luck & method out the window type scenarios than most.
You can't just beat method down players throats in a sport which needs to encourage instinct, dare & god forbid even fun.

I think Hardwick discovered this a couple of years ago.
Hardwick and Hinkley should not be used in the same sentence. One coach who actively transformed himself through education (management courses), getting out of his comfort zone and building a culture that everyone bought into. The other, ignorance, incompetence, excuse based culture and a desire to play with greyhounds.

#### yeah, I will find some positivity watching our young talent and stick with the club. But until the head is cut off the snake the foundation of the club is plain dogsh$$.

2020 is getting games into our young players, narowing in on our next senior coach, minimise loss of talent and sack the car salesman.

PAFC66 did in post 201. And made no mention of key forward. As has also been mentioned basset also didn’t call him a key forward - he used the term ‘almost a key forward’.

I think it's a bit harsh to judge Bassett on his wording in an interview.

I'm more interested in how he took one of the least efficient/effective forward lines in the comp and made it worse.

See how we go with a full year of Dixon and early 2019 Ebert I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide utility Jack Watts continues to make excellent progress from the nasty leg injury that ended his 2019 campaign, with a Round 1 berth in sight.

Watts broke his leg and dislocated his ankle during a Power match against Carlton in March this year, consequently cutting his season short.

However Watts is one of several Power players to have cut their off-season break short and joined the club’s first to fourth-year players on the training track.

While the rest of the Port Adelaide group went through kicking drills at a windy Grange Oval, Jack Watts looked to be in a world of hurt.

Away from the main group of first to four year players, plus Brad Ebert, Watts and a Port staff member would line up and run 200m sprints.

It looked hard work, Watts would be leaning on the nearby fence gasping for air after the majority of the sprints.

But in a good sign for Port Adelaide fans, he kept going again and again.

Someone explain to me again why Travis was 'encouraged' to step away from the captaincy?
Port-Power-Ken-Hinkley-415x285.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back