Training 2020 Pre Season Training

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Just looking at our contested stats, in raw numbers we were 6th in the league for contested possessions, which would be a quick indicator we were OK in that area, but we were then 10th in clearances, 15th in centre clearances, 8th in stoppage clearances and 9th in team/opponent average with a +1.7 contested disposal advantage.

So you could say we were average at best in terms of our contested work (and there were more than a few times we were absolutely awful) and I imagine that sort of thing is one area in which you could probably fix easier/quicker given the personal we have already. I imagine a part of that immediate improvement could come from just developing a two-way midfield that is capable of slowing/stopping the opposition if we don't win the clearance.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
So true. You can't even get the right number of ellipses...still.
My friend ..... 5 elipses is the accepted number ....but i'm a rebel

But over the years my style has caught on in BF .....I now have many followers & disciples

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just looking at our contested stats, in raw numbers we were 6th in the league for contested possessions, which would be a quick indicator we were OK in that area, but we were then 10th in clearances, 15th in centre clearances, 8th in stoppage clearances and 9th in team/opponent average with a +1.7 contested disposal advantage.

So you could say we were average at best in terms of our contested work (and there were more than a few times we were absolutely awful) and I imagine that sort of thing is one area in which you could probably fix easier/quicker given the personal we have already. I imagine a part of that immediate improvement could come from just developing a two-way midfield that is capable of slowing/stopping the opposition if we don't win the clearance.
We also need quicker legs in the midfield to burn their opponents off, who can help us transition better from defense to midfield. Losing players like Cameron and McGovern (who often can outrun their opponents) makes our transitioning from the zones too one-paced. A fit Seeds would make us look a lot better, but we need more of this type.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
We also need quicker legs in the midfield to burn their opponents off, who can help us transition better from defense to midfield. Losing players like Cameron and McGovern (who often can outrun their opponents) makes our transitioning from the zones too one-paced. A fit Seeds would make us look a lot better, but we need more of this type.
We still need to adjust to 6-6-6 better too. Previously we added speed by running players like Cameron through the back of the square (which also satisfied Campos love of throwing numbers at contests), which gets removed by the starting position rules.

Hopefully guys like Jones and McHenry can help there since they have the legspeed and defensive intent.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why are we starting a week and half behind Port?

Because we still don't have a coaching panel finalised? Nicks was only finalised as coach 3 weeks ago and our football ops/senior assistant sacked 4 weeks ago and you want us to start training already? These things take time EC and they can't be rushed... We've already pissed 2 seasons down the drain because of our incompetent admin, whats another season?

Probably didn't even realise that we could be training... :rolleyes:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because we still don't have a coaching panel finalised? Nicks was only finalised as coach 3 weeks ago and our football ops/senior assistant sacked 4 weeks ago and you want us to start training already? These things take time EC and they can't be rushed... We've already pissed 2 seasons down the drain because of our incompetent admin, whats another season?

Probably didn't even realise that we could be training... :rolleyes:
That was the answer I was looking for.

But Hass and the fitness team are there, couldnt they at least start on fitness work? Don’t need a coaching panel for that

Last edited:

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why are we starting a week and half behind Port?
And by Poort you mean a small group of 2-4th year players?

All clubs have to provide players with the same amount of leave with more leave for older players to avoid future long service leave liability. Some clubs start earlier and have a larger break over christmas. Teams that go deeper into the finals have less pre-season time.

The Pear Kids having an extra couple of training sessions (if that proves to be accurate) is the least of our problems for 2020.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And by Poort you mean a small group of 2-4th year players?

All clubs have to provide players with the same amount of leave with more leave for older players to avoid future long service leave liability. Some clubs start earlier and have a larger break over christmas. Teams that go deeper into the finals have less pre-season time.

The Pear Kids having an extra couple of training sessions (if that proves to be accurate) is the least of our problems for 2020.
So we wouldn’t benefit from having our kids start training early? Again that’s not an answer as to why we haven’t started yet.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
So we wouldn’t benefit from having our kids start training early? Again that’s not an answer as to why we haven’t started yet.
Teams like Port are just working on fitness things ATM at the club and the players would have been given their off-season programs to follow. Just because they're not at West Lakes doesn't mean they're not working.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Teams like Port are just working on fitness things ATM at the club and the players would have been given their off-season programs to follow. Just because they're not at West Lakes doesn't mean they're not working.
Again why couldn’t we train on their fitness together? For a club that’s been fractured having them together sooner rather than later would make sense.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Again why couldn’t we train on their fitness together? For a club that’s been fractured having them together sooner rather than later would make sense.
They're training in their small groups and a week isn't going to make a ton of difference. Nicks has already been working on getting to know the players which at this point is better served on an individual basis, rather than a large group IMO.

Could also argue given everything that has happened an extra week or so to get mentally prepared for a big off-season could help too.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Unbelievable right? can't even get the coaches name right in their freaking tweet. Who the hell is their social media manager? Pretty inept.
They at least could have also called him Riley Night.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
That was the answer I was looking for.

But Hass and the fitness team are there, couldnt they at least start on fitness work? Don’t need a coaching panel for that
10 laps boys - off you go

(duck into club for quick pint)

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Most of our Kids Played the SANFL Finals we would have had only 2-3 eliagble to start training, Most of Port SANFL team were older players,

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I posted in another thread recently, I saw at least 14 players at a cafe after fitness session of some sort only a week ago. Even if they aren’t at the club, there are large groups still training together (and this includes some of our young guns mixed with senior players).

Back