Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Maybe the sarcasm in my posts about Morris belonging in a nursing home wasn't obvious enough.

1cfb87937d5144f872de3f39fe15941f.gif

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks for that I see the connection now. It isn't about what Stewie Dew is but what Hinkley isn't. That said, I reckon if you asked Jonas or Wines how they felt about Ken Hinkley they would paint him as one of the new breed.

And the mounting plethora of players placed in the too hard basket or traded out the door would say he isn’t.

The words “I’ve had enough of his bullshit” Hinkley is reported to have spoken about Chad Wingard rings loud in my ears.

I heard an interview with Darren Burgess yesterday morning, and he was asked about the rotating of players on and off the ground during matches. He said at Port it was largely a decision left to the player when he felt he needed a rest.
“It sometimes proved a problem at Port with certain players. Chad Wingard, Robbie Gray, and Kane Cornes never wanted to leave the ground, and would have stayed out there unless you forced them to come off”.
So in Hinkley’s time Wingard went from never wanting to leave the field, to a “cancer” who lost the motivation and love of playing football. Damning on Hinkley and the other coaches.

“It sometimes proved a problem at Port with certain players. Chad Wingard, Robbie Gray, and Kane Cornes never wanted to leave the ground, and would have stayed out there unless you forced them to come off”.
That certainly explains the volume of low impact football from Kane

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I love Darren but I'm not convinced on his program, I suspect he burns out players. Aka called it years ago
The problem was more the related lack of value placed on size/strength. Even now, the club just put up today pictures of players in the gym and they are (as always for Port it seems) undersized and weak compared to almost any other clubs.

The problem was more the related lack of value placed on size/strength. Even now, the club just put up today pictures of players in the gym and they are (as always for Port it seems) undersized and weak compared to almost any other clubs.

Which is so in Port Adelaide

Not to disagree, but weren't those players just the young kids?

Rooch has written about Geoff Morris. Long intro re James Fantasia, Alan Stewart and Morris then talks specifically about Morris.

Development coach Geoff Morris could be Power’s No. 1 recruit of the AFL off-season

Morris went from Port Adelaide to Hawthorn in 2006 when Alastair Clarkson picked off several Power staffers to build his empire. He served in both development and recruiting roles.

After 13 years - and tiring of the travel - Morris returns to Alberton. His comeback is timely at a football club that is determined to build the AFL’s best under-23 squad in the next two years. As Fantasia would say, Port Adelaide’s recruiting staff can pick ‘em … but now someone has to make these teenagers shine. Morris’ return to Alberton this week is one of the most important - if not the No. 1 - off-season deal struck by Power football chief Chris Davies.

At 65, Morris is one of those rare men who - by his measured ways and solid understanding of people - will not ignore needs of the individual where others might fall for the stereotypes that are attached to Generation X, Y, Z and Millennials. Morris is the man every Port Adelaide draftee will want by his side, more so when expectations will rise on the new batch of recruits charged with lifting the Power from no-man’s land of repetitive ninth and 10th placings. Morris pretty much walked the AFL draftee path before it existed with grand support systems. He went from the country to the city to make his name at West Adelaide.

Fantasia’s note on recruiting managers offering the AFL path to draftees and development coaches making the dreams come true for player and club resonates louder today. In Morris, Port Adelaide has a man who - like Stewart - has the golden touch … and some extra gold from his time at Hawthorn. The Hawks’ blueprint might just get a re-run at Alberton.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
The Hawks blueprint? Does he mean the Port blueprint that Clarkson took to Hawthorn?
Usually, it is taken from someone who doesn't lose it. It doesn't seem to be the case with us, though. We "were" Port Adelaide, as Alyx points out.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought I saw Morris sitting with the hawker's recruiting staff in their room at the recent draft, which may have had something to do with completing his contract with that club, but as no-one else has commented I assume I was wrong.

I thought I saw Morris sitting with the hawker's recruiting staff in their room at the recent draft, which may have had something to do with completing his contract with that club, but as no-one else has commented I assume I was wrong.
When we appointed Morris, one of the articles I read, said he would start after the draft as he was working with the Hawks up to then. Might have been the club's article.

Last edited:
The Hawks blueprint? Does he mean the Port blueprint that Clarkson took to Hawthorn?

Good artists copy.

Great artists steal.

It’s known as the Hawks blueprint because Clarkson was more successful with it and made it his. It’s also why I can’t stand that little gnome.

After 2004 we didn't lose it, I believe we got content and complacent and over time we have lost our culture.

Real shame, I was hoping the One Club would bring it back permanently but it was a sugar hit.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So in Hinkley’s time Wingard went from never wanting to leave the field, to a “cancer” who lost the motivation and love of playing football. Damning on Hinkley and the other coaches.
That sentence really says a lot, but id add in 2 Time AA and BnF winner that never wanted to leave the field.

Morris will complete his duties with Hawthorn at the conclusion of the AFL National Draft and will join Port Adelaide in December.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/307413/port-adelaide-welcome-geoff-morris-back-to-alberton

Usually, it is taken from someone who doesn't lose it. It doesn't seem to be the case with us, though. We "were" Port Adelaide, as Alyx points out.

You don't lose your DNA. It might lie dormant, it might be suppressed for a while, but eventually it wins out.

giphy.gif

Back