List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah I think that makes sense and as of the new changes announced today I can definitely see GW doing that.
Would be great to grab Dylan Stephens or Kemp at 11, then Gould at 20, then trade 30 to the tigers for 39 and 41 which pays for finn at 22 and then have 42 in play. me likey

We have absolutely no interest in Gould I can assure, zero, zilch. We have no need for him either, a mid sized key defender who can’t defend smalls or play anywhere else other than defence (our strongest line). I wouldn’t be surprised if Gould dropped out into the 30s as well, his combine results solidified what a lot of recruiters already thought. Gould is an good footballer, but doesn’t fit with us anywhere.

Kemp I believe is numero uno but don’t be surprised if we launch into Luke Jackson at 11, especially with Pitto gone and Clarkos love of those hybrid ruck/fwd types. Devon Robertson also likely to be in contention at 11, it just all depends on who is available but if Kemps there we won’t pass it up.

Interestingly if a bid comes for Finn in the first round we use 30 and 42 and any left over points are saved for deficits in this or future drafts. After the first round though the remaining points are then added to the following bid and that bid moves forward.
For example if a bid came for Finn at 20 the points needed are 912 minus the discount (which is a flat 197 points after round 1 where it is 20% in round 1) leaving a required 715 points to match.
Pick 30 = 629 and pick 42 = 395 totalling 1024. We would then pay for Finn and have a remaining 309 points which is equivalent to pick 48 so we get pick 48 before our next pick.
Pretty sure I'm right with this, if not I'm sure someone will let me know ;)

I cannot see that this has already been posted... Read this article on the Pick Swap rules:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11...rama-why-clubs-are-holding-fire-on-pick-swaps

It could potentially be Great for us... if the bid on Finn comes late.

Last edited:
We have absolutely no interest in Gould I can assure, zero, zilch. We have no need for him either, a mid sized key defender who can’t defend smalls or play anywhere else other than defence (our strongest line). I wouldn’t be surprised if Gould dropped out into the 30s as well, his combine results solidified what a lot of recruiters already thought. Gould is an good footballer, but doesn’t fit with us anywhere.

Kemp I believe is numero uno but don’t be surprised if we launch into Luke Jackson at 11, especially with Pitto gone and Clarkos love of those hybrid ruck/fwd types. Devon Robertson also likely to be in contention at 11, it just all depends on who is available but if Kemps there we won’t pass it up.
Good mail. Kemp is the target.

Pickett. What are you hearing?

Good mail. Kemp is the target.

Pickett. What are you hearing?

Nothing about Pickett mate... Just been told if Kemp is available we’ll take him, also not surprised if we pull the Luke Jackson trigger, I reckon it’ll be either Jackson or Robertson if Kemp is gone.

We have met with Harry Jones 3-4 times already this year, an athletic freak but very raw.. we’ve been tracking him for years and I’ll be very confident we’ll take him at 30 if he’s available.

I agree with the fact that our defence is probably our strongest line, but i also feel it’s a line we need to start refilling with youth. The main two arguments against Gould is his height and weight/athleticism.

I understand that he may not have the height of most other key defenders, but Frawley is listed on the AFL website as 193cm, only 2cm taller than Gould. Personally, i see him as a Stratton replacement, and he’s 2cm taller then Ben. His height is no real issue as he showed playing fullback in the SANFL, and chances are he will even grow a couple of cm before next season.

On the knocks about his weight, it is a lot easier to slim down than it is to buff up. He was interviewed on a podcast called ‘The off season Low Down’ and was asked about his weight. He said that he had gained a bit after winning the SANFL premiership as any player would, but has focussed on losing weight before the draft and preseason - and has dropped his skin folds a fair bit since the draft combine.

He sounds like a ripper bloke and already has experience playing on mature bodies, so i don’t see why he couldn’t be selected in the early 20’s, or even earlier.

Nothing about Pickett mate... Just been told if Kemp is available we’ll take him, also not surprised if we pull the Luke Jackson trigger, I reckon it’ll be either Jackson or Robertson if Kemp is gone.

We have met with Harry Jones 3-4 times already this year, an athletic freak but very raw.. we’ve been tracking him for years and I’ll be very confident we’ll take him at 30 if he’s available.
Would be more than happy with any of those 3, decent enough chance that all 3 are gone by our pick though.

I cannot see that this has already been posted... Read this article on the Pick Swap rules:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11...rama-why-clubs-are-holding-fire-on-pick-swaps

It could potentially be Great for us... if the bid on Finn comes late.
The best part of the swapping of picks on draft night is that it requires a level of trust (for deals previously set up) and mutual respect between list managers. This means it certain No-One will have anything to do with Dodoro.
Forgive me if I do a little fist pump.

Would be more than happy with any of those 3, decent enough chance that all 3 are gone by our pick though.

It would be a brave call to take Jackson inside 10 but certainly a live chance, I would be confident one of those 3 will be available but maybe leaning to Robertson being available.

It would be a brave call to take Jackson inside 10 but certainly a live chance, I would be confident one of those 3 will be available but maybe leaning to Robertson being available.
Yeah i think if Robertson can get past Sydney i think he will still be available

Apparently both Giants and Dees (only god knows why the Dees would be) are really keen on Jackson.

Of course I have full faith in the recruiting team, but I would definitely feel a little disappointed if we took Jackson with our first pick. Really not a fan of taking young rucks in the draft.

Trade them in later.

Of course I have full faith in the recruiting team, but I would definitely feel a little disappointed if we took Jackson with our first pick. Really not a fan of taking young rucks in the draft.

Trade them in later.
As a counterpoint: I‘d be happy if we took Luke Jackson at 11/12. A David Hale type player... yes please.

Many see 208cm Reeves as a folly. Not me. Watch Reeves put on muscle and learn positioning talent under Monkey‘s tutelage.

Jackson and Reeves could become the Hawks rucks for the next 10+ years

Point of order: Luke Jackson will not likely fall to pick 11/12 and so it is likely a moot point.

Last edited:
What I want to see on draft night...

Key defender (pick 11)
Finn Maginness (pick 30)
Midfielder (pick 42)
Small forward (pick 54)
Ruckman (pick 63)
Hugh Dixon (pick 87)
Pick 93 (pass)

:$
Why a KPD with our highest pick in years? We just traded in Frost and drafted Koschitzke last year, why another one?

That is a lot of draft picks, I can't remember the last time we used so many. Very out of character.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why a KPD with our highest pick in years? We just traded in Frost and drafted Koschitzke last year, why another one?

That is a lot of draft picks, I can't remember the last time we used so many. Very out of character.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have very little key position depth. Who is going to be the 2nd key defender to play alongside Koschitzke? Frost has been recruited as more of a short term option and not really a long term solution.

We have very little key position depth. Who is going to be the 2nd key defender to play alongside Koschitzke? Frost has been recruited as more of a short term option and not really a long term solution.

That's fair, but how old is Frosty - 26 or so? We have some time to continue the search, especially with the addition of Scrimshaw who plays every inch of his height as well as being good on the ground, and Sicily beside him.
We have some decent young talls through the back, sure another classic Center Half Back prospect would be cherrylicious, but we are clearly shorter on replacements for outside run and wing play through the center of the ground.
Stephens should be route 1 for mine, but Mcasey would be just fine too.

That's fair, but how old is Frosty - 26 or so? We have some time to continue the search, especially with the addition of Scrimshaw who plays every inch of his height as well as being good on the ground, and Sicily beside him.
We have some decent young talls through the back, sure another classic Center Half Back prospect would be cherrylicious, but we are clearly shorter on replacements for outside run and wing play through the center of the ground.
I think Scrimshaw and especially Sicily are more suited to being interceptors/play makers off half back. I also think a big part of bringing in Frost is to free Sicily up to be more damaging. I do agree with the need for more outside run but with Titch coming back in I think we’ll see Jom playing a lot more outside and benefit greatly from it. We probably also need another ruck. It’s going to make the draft interesting to see what direction we go.

I dont think hawthorn lack for defenders. The only thing on mcasey is hes supposed to be able to play both ends

But youd want him to be more roughead than obrien, or dont bother, can get those late in the draft

Agree completely. Dylans Stephens as no. 1 would be perfect and there are 4 or 5 KPD in this draft with lots of potential that we can pick up with some of our later picks.
Damaging playmakers with run is what I think we need with our early picks.

Watching the highlights (only) of Fischer McAsey, he reminds me a lot of Kaiden Brand in the VFL.

I would be very nervous about taking a tall with pick 11. Huge pay off if it works, but also a greater risk.

We need more mids, the best clubs bat deep through the middle, in our successful period our midfield was competent and deep, atm it’s decent at the top but completely void of depth and quality.

We are long way off our last premiership midfield..

here is the haul i selected for the Bigfooty Phantom Draft, the picks fit our needs and were best available from my PoV

Hawthorn Summary:

#11 Brodie Kemp - 192cm 89kg - Tall Mid/Utility
#15 Finn Maginness - 189cm 82kg - Inside Mid/HFF
#53 Jake Pasini - 192cm 81kg - KPD
#62 Jaxon Prior - 189cm 82kg - HBF/Wing
#66 Brock Smith - 189cm 82kg - Medium Def
#89 Ben Kelly - 203cm 100kg - Ruck

i wanted to draft best available at pick 11, i got lucky and landed Kemp a player i rate highly as i have stated a fair bit in my draft thread, then i took Finn Maginness our F/S but couldve easily taken another player as the talent after 30 is still on par, but loyalty and potential has me go for the F/S option, Pasini was the last remaining good KPD option and i had to take it, Prior was the last remaining high end wing/hbf option at the pick, so im glad i got him there, B.Smith is just a quality defender who could be the perfect Stratton replacement in a couple of years and Kelly is a need as we need a backup ruck who can play right now in an emergency.

We need more mids, the best clubs bat deep through the middle, in our successful period our midfield was competent and deep, atm it’s decent at the top but completely void of depth and quality.

We are long way off our last premiership midfield..
I dunno, I'd almost argue our best midfield on paper at the moment is the equal of our flag winning midfields. We were strong all over the ground in those years, particularly up forward and back but never really thought our midfield was a particularly strong point.

You do make a fair point in that it absolutely lack depth. When injuries hit us hard this year we were found wanting, big time.

Reckon we're one or two short here but gee we're not far off.

Still salivating at the thought of Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard, Worpel occupying the centre square for season 20'.

I dunno, I'd almost argue our best midfield on paper at the moment is the equal of our flag winning midfields. We were strong all over the ground in those years, particularly up forward and back but never really thought our midfield was a particularly strong point.

You do make a fair point in that it absolutely lack depth. When injuries hit us hard this year we were found wanting, big time.

Reckon we're one or two short here but gee we're not far off.

Still salivating at the thought of Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard, Worpel occupying the centre square for season 20'.
You’re right in the sense that at their best the current group is talented, the s**t thing is they are very inconsistent.. The group we had in the premiership years gave the same effort and performance week in week out, Sammy would get 30, Lewis 25-30, Hodge 25-30, Hilly 25 etc. This current group is a flip of the coin, Jags floats in and out of games week to week, Worps is now getting that consistent effort but the next tier of Howe,Shiels (ball winning), Hendo etc are up and down with their impact.

You are spot on though, if Chad progresses to a mid first and fwd second and Titch releases Jags then we may have some answers. We also don’t know what Finn brings to the table and possible either Robertson/Kemp or Stephens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back