The Selwood Decade... we may never see anything like it

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot believe the gutter trash coming out of a particular Cats poster above.
Defending Selwood to the treetops.

Awesome player but the bloke has used his body to draw countless free kicks which is not in the spirit of the game. It's similar to soccer players diving when they are in the penalty box. Contact is there but they extenuate it in order to help the team win.
Selwood is the same.

Unfortunately, had he avoided the consistent shoulder shrugging over his career, his standing in the game would be greatly respected.

He's no different to Paul Puopolo and Ben Brown who do everything they can to help their team win by exploiting the rule book.

Awesome player but the bloke has used his body to draw countless free kicks which is not in the spirit of the game. It's similar to soccer players diving when they are in the penalty box. Contact is there but they extenuate it in order to help the team win.
Selwood is the same.

Unfortunately, had he avoided the consistent shoulder shrugging over his career, his standing in the game would be greatly respected.

He's no different to Paul Puopolo and Ben Brown who do everything they can to help their team win by exploiting the rule book.
I would care about another cats fan opinion if this wasn't a troll account.

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean it's a troll account

Try the Geelong board. It's an absolute joke in there. Controlled by Nazi moderators. It's not a place to express differing opinions.
In fact, try suggesting another team has better players and you are shot down and labelled a troll.

Try the Geelong board. It's an absolute joke in there. Controlled by Nazi moderators. It's not a place to express differing opinions.
In fact, try suggesting another team has better players and you are shot down and labelled a troll.
How would you know...
0 posts on the Geelong board and all

When I played we were told to watch the hips to tackle. Pinning the arms is a more recent thing
Same.

Go for the hips, then drop your weight.

This was taught to me by my father who got far enough to try out for the Hawks, and one of my coaches who played a handful of games for Essendon. It's definitely an old style of tackling, though - both of them played their peak footy back in the '70s. But hand-balling has improved so much since then that leaving the arms free just isn't an option for AFL level players nowadays, IMO.

Anyway, I personally love-hate Selwood's ability to draw high frees. It's a brilliant skill. Annoying when it's your team playing against him, and he draws a crucial free at a clutch moment - but he ain't the first nor will he be the last to be good at drawing free kicks. Shrugging a tackle is way better than outright flopping or adding mayo when any form of contact is made, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been a great player, he's tough, he gets a lot of free kicks......good luck to him.

Selwood is the same.

Kevin bartlett on the rules committee for many years simply said we look at it and see nothing wrong with it.

He is challenging the tackler to apply it properly. If the tackle does stick then its a holding the ball.

No different to a key forward getting into good body position and drawing a free kick when his arm is chopped.

The arm lift and shrug is just great tackling aversion technique.

Anyone who calls it ducking just doesnt know what they are talking about.

Probably a reason for that. I don't think this is a case of tall poppy syndrome (unless the tall poppy is a serial ducker). No one will deny the guy is a clutch player and a hard arse champion for his club.

But the guy is a ducker, one way or another. Sure he's just exploiting what the rules allow him, but that's not going to please opposition fans any.

One of the pics Abasi posted, to me, looks as much a duck as you can get in a still photo (which isn't easy to tell, in any situation).

View attachment 775472

Anticipates contact, knee drop, arm raise and appropriate head tilt. It may not be straight out dropping the head and charging into a player's body, but it's there.

Again, not disputing he's a great player. But let's call a spade a spade.

That photo is apparently ducking?? Lol. What a laugh. Just continues to prove time and time again he doesnt duck. Still no photo of ducking aka paul puopolo style can be produced

r u serious? Full forwards get front spot because it is easier to mark in front (and easier for his team mate to hit him as a target) than mark from behind.

If you think its about making the full back risking a free or a fwd generating a free then thats some stunningly short sighted logic.

A full forward puts himself in front to either mark the ball or draw a free kick. Selwood lifts his arm to avert a tackle to either dispose of the ball break the tackle or earn a free.

Zero difference. Both good judgment and positioning

I don't actually blame Selwood for ducking. Because it's worked his whole career. It's the umps fault for paying it. Like many have said, half the time raising the arm he slips the tackle, fine play on.

Just if he draws the contact high and gets nailed, it should be htb as the contact only ended up high due to his actions.

Poor umpiring.

Thats like saying a full forward shouldnt get arm chop frees for playing infront because he expected it.

Kevin bartlett on the rules committee for many years simply said we look at it and see nothing wrong with it.

He is challenging the tackler to apply it properly. If the tackle does stick then its a holding the ball.

No different to a key forward getting into good body position and drawing a free kick when his arm is chopped.

He doesn't duck but he certainly plays and draws the free kick.

What I don't understand, he's brilliant at gaining the footy and disposing in traffic so why even draw free kicks?
It must be a habitual or reflex action of his. Started when he was young and just can't break the habit.
In many circumstances, had he just continued on with the passage of play (hand-balled to a teammate on the breakaway instead of drawing a free and going back behind the mark to take his kick), we may have seen a different attacking drive which helps the forwards as they prefer quick build ups from down the field.

You even see opposing players deliberately tackle him high so he has to stop and go back behind the mark and take his kick as it gives the defense a split second to compose themselves.

This is exactly it.

He absolutely shrugs (which is completely fine, just tackle lower). He does not duck.

He doesn't duck, he leads with his head. More stupid than brave.

He lifts his arm no doubt. The free should be based on where the tackle starts, not where it ends. Its hard to see in a split second so the umpires should use commonsense and not pay these frees to known arm raisers and knee droppers. Everyone knows who they are.

Great player still, but he'd be greater if he didn't carry on like a pork chop when he doesn't get a dubious free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back