News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

you had me at sacked campo and Burto. I would have been comfortable with one more from Pyke even though I don’t rate him and think he’s far too akin to Neil Craig in terms of philosophy. He may have proved me wrong without the Campo noose around his neck though.
Definitely a couple of sacks in there .

Oh I didn’t really celebrate when Pyke walked away, I really liked him... but it is clear his relationship with the players was a lot worse than we’d thought. I was slowly coming to the conclusion that losing the grand final and the fallout from that was far too great for him to overcome. They didn’t trust him anymore. The celebration was the renewal. A new coach with new philosophies can make such a difference.
A few people whose opinion I respect have mentioned the same thing. I was really pissed that he left but I have to accept that he may have lost the players. When he mentioned that he felt that he was part of the problem suggests that he might have lost the players as well. Anyway I was really saying that I certainly diddnt celebrate when he left. Like you, I really liked the man. For me by far the biggest celebration was the moving on of Burton and Campo.

A few people whose opinion I respect have mentioned the same thing. I was really pissed that he left but I have to accept that he may have lost the players. When he mentioned that he felt that he was part of the problem suggests that he might have lost the players as well. Anyway I was really saying that I certainly diddnt celebrate when he left. Like you, I really liked the man. For me by far the biggest celebration was the moving on of Burton and Campo.
People are a product of their environment

Would Pyke have had a close personal relationship with Malthouse in his playing days? Lots of coffees, catching up for chats, warm and fuzzy? Or would it have been a professional relationship between a disciplined, hard-edged coach and a like-minded player?

I suspect the latter but that type of relationship is perhaps now what 'today's player' values and is looking for.

There's a really good article from Wayne Bennett that talks about coach/player relationships

Article link

Matthew Nicks has the ability to energise players and deliver Adelaide’s third flag says coach recruiter Phil Smyth

Master mentor Phil Smyth believes Matthew Nicks can be Adelaide’s next premiership coach – exhibiting a rare ability to engage players and energise a club like the late Phil Walsh. Asked if Adelaide could progress from its 11th ranking next season and eventually win a third flag under Nicks, Smyth said: “No doubt but it won’t happen over night, they have to rebuild. “It’s a good group to build off.” “There is no question you will be better because you have swept out, cleaned out. You have a guy with new ideas, enthusiasm and engaging. The camp and all that stuff that has dragged on for two years is irrelevant.
“For the players it is a breath of fresh air.”
Nicks beat Scott Burns, Adem Yze, Robert Harvey and Garry Hocking to become Adelaide’s ninth coach through a golden touch with players and proven senior coaching prowess with Port Adelaide and GWS.
“It was an accumulation of stuff. The fact he had sat in that senior coaches seat and coached on his own in pre-season he had a couple of strings in the bow,” former Olympian and three-time NBL championship coach Smyth told The Advertiser.
“What Nicksy had in his armour was he had been in that senior assistant coaching role more than the others.
“There were a lot of outstanding people. In the end it all came back to Nicksy just had a little bit more in the areas that were key.”
Nicks possesses qualities associated with the late supremo Walsh, bringing everyone from back office juniors to board members together.
“What stood out with Nicksy was his ability to communicate with people and engage the players from a coaching stand point. Clearly that was an area they needed to get involved in,” noted Smyth, mentor to Richmond premiership coach Damien Hardwick in 2017 and Chris Fagan through Brisbane’s stunning rise this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get a lot of inside info but here we go:

After Pyke resigned, Burton and Campo were told they were safe. That is until the review took the decision out of the clubs hands.

I think I have seen this also mentioned before on here. If this is true, it is concerning how against change we truly were until an independent review thrust it upon us. We kept backing them in very publicly until the very end so this further questions the decision making of Fagan, Chapman and Roo.

After Pyke resigned, Burton and Campo were told they were safe. That is until the review took the decision out of the clubs hands.

I think I have seen this also mentioned before on here. If this is true, it is concerning how against change we truly were until an independent review thrust it upon us. We kept backing them in very publicly until the very end so this further questions the decision making of Fagan, Chapman and Roo.
Huh what decision has Chapman the authority to make?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Burton was ever safe, the real talk started mid year. Fagan really pushed for the review, he was obviously listening to the groundswell.

Campo is harder to judge, some players really rate him. I think as the group was set for a huge change it was clear he wasn't equipped for it. Had a lot of credits after 2015 but burnt them all and then some.

Last edited:

Unless it was Roo being weak as pizz and not wanting to upset his buddies so just used the review outcome as his excuse to do what he knew had to happen.

I don't think Burton was ever safe, the real talk started mid year. Fagan really pushed for the review, he was obviously listening to the groundswell.

Campo is harder to judge, some players really rate him. I think as the group was set for a huge change it was clear he wasn't equipped for it. Had a lot of credits after 2015 but burnt them all and then some.

Fagan may get a pass as he called for the review (despite Chapman claiming this as his decision)

I believe Campo was liked by senior players but not so much with younger players. This is based on observations and rumours not inside info this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back