News Richmond finalise AFL coaching structure

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
How can a winning message of 6 Super Bowl Victories wear out?!? He can only get better at what he does, his track record speaks for itself!
I'm thinking Bart Cummings here, Steve Waugh, Mal Maninga, Melbourne Storm NRL Coach, Clarkson, these guys are Quality!
These guys would be aware of what message they were constantly putting out...self renewal would be a priority with them...otherwise these guys would not be near 6 Super Bowl wins...premierships...Melbourne Cups...et al..
New players come every year at the Patriots the message can only be new to them...
New Assistant coaches at the patriots the message can only be new to them...
I do not subscribe to...message wears out...

If you don't subscribe to it, how many coaches went out on their own terms? Who actually retired as opposed to not having their contract renewed?

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
His good mate Clarkson is setting up for a rebuild of sorts for the 2nd time and seems to be entrenched at the Hawks.
We will face a similar path shortly but with the list being built around Tom Lunch and some clever planning eg: F/A.I think Dimma Has it in him for another minor rebuild.

I concede Clarkson but he is arguably the greatest coach of all time and he's had questions marks over how long he'll remain head coach for years.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
If you don't subscribe to it, how many coaches went out on their own terms? Who actually retired as opposed to not having their contract renewed?
A Coach is either winning GF Cups or building a side to win them...that's all that matters cos losing Coaches are goneski!

I reckon we’re at the point where Dimma probably will go out on his own terms.

I don’t think we’ll be firing him unless there’s a very obvious fracture between him and his players.

I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
A Coach is either winning GF Cups or building a side to win them...that's all that matters cos losing Coaches are goneski!

Yes but this is the point. Even the greatest coaches have hit a point where they became losing coaches. History tells us there’s only so long a coach can stay relevant.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon we’re at the point where Dimma probably will go out on his own terms.

I don’t think we’ll be firing him unless there’s a very obvious fracture between him and his players.

I don’t see that happening any time soon.

When asked about Balta’s future role earlier in the year he joked “probably under another coach”. He knows he’s not going to coach forever. It’s hard to imagine when that’ll be. I was responding to the idea that’ll he’ll coach until 2032 or longer.

Paul Roos went out on his own terms actually. That was a few seasons after the 2005 flag. I could see Dimma doing something like that. Which again brings me back to my original post where I said maybe 5 years. Mostly though coaches like Sheedy, Pagan, Malthouse, mark Williams don’t get fired, they get to a point where the team is plodding along and they don’t get their contract renewed.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We have a great senior core of onfield leaders, a very good support cast and a promising development squad.

When it comes to coaching this group, I think the critical ingredients are to stimulate them to continue to be hungry for success, tweak gameplay to suit the group and develop any weaknesses.

In summary, to keep them motivated and happy ........ I’m sure this coaching structure will continue to do that.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Would also say Neil Balme is regarded as the best football department manager, involved in five premierships, and he is 67.
1967 was a good year too!
Damien could surpass Belichick to become the greatest football coach in sports history.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Just got this feelin' he's a big loss...
Huge. I reckon he has senior coach written all over him. ..someone said above that Dimma should leave on his own terms. I agree. We didn't handle the exit of Tommy Hafey well. The 11th year saw a poor result. A lot of players leaving and a Graeme Richmond wanting Hafey out. And Hafey then resigning. I don't think this board would let that happen. Our window (with this list) is 3 more years you'd think.

hmmm Caracella and Truck have big loses.

I like Fly being promoted to the seniors. Will probably become a senor head coach somewhere in the future.

Not overly excited about Clarke as VFL. Would've been nice to get someone from outside.

Clarke is actually rated very highly inside the club. Has been given a lot of credit for the development work he has been doing with specific kids.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's far too long a reign imo.

Message wears out. Need fresh ideas and perspectives. That can come in some part from assistants but ultimately it's o the head coach. How many coaches have done that successfully? Sheedy? 4 flags in 25 years? Malthouse was a senior coach for something similar but across two different clubs. The message eventually wears out. Parkin, Pagan, Sheedy, Malthouse, Matthews all got replaced. Can't think of any other recent long term coaches off the top of my head.

I think Dimma has a few years left but he can't coach indefinitely. I would have thought no more than about 5 more years at most.

The message is thousands of years old, it never wears out.

1573179173671.png
1573179229320.png
1573179314525.png

Love, Love Love.

Love the moment.
Love your team mates and yourself.
Love what you do.

Cara was only involved in one coaching premiership prior to the Tigers.
Cats in 2011.
A loss, but not a major one.
Kingsley is highly regarded.
Would look at Rance and Riewoldt in future decades as assistants.

Not a major loss? Transformed our ball movement and kept us ahead of the pack.

Didn't just happen by accident.

Who's looking after that now?

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
the discount option. dont like it

we lost caracella and replaced him with the vfl coach

cant we afford to get someone as good as caracella?

caracella's a traitorous dud compared to fly. bet he was already spilling secrets before the finals

we will get even better now

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not a major loss? Transformed our ball movement and kept us ahead of the pack.

Didn't just happen by accident.

Who's looking after that now?

No doubt, he's a highly credentialed coach and will be missed, but at the same time this is an industry that has a lot of churn, good clubs dont fall in heap when a few quality assistants leave. The systems and culture we have in place ensures ongoing development and I have no doubt that we will have a few step up and give us something. Im excited to see what McCrae will bring, KK is in his second season and will go from strength to strength and wrapped for X getting the gig at VFL level. Besides its not like no one at richmond knows what Blakes ball movement philosophy was, like everything in this industry it will need to evolve anyway. I'm comfortable we won't lag

No doubt, he's a highly credentialed coach and will be missed, but at the same time this is an industry that has a lot of churn, good clubs dont fall in heap when a few quality assistants leave. The systems and culture we have in place ensures ongoing development and I have no doubt that we will have a few step up and give us something. Im excited to see what McCrae will bring, KK is in his second season and will go from strength to strength and wrapped for X getting the gig at VFL level. Besides its not like no one at richmond knows what Blakes ball movement philosophy was, like everything in this industry it will need to evolve anyway. I'm comfortable we won't lag

I'm not saying we will fall in a heap. I was just reacting to a post that said he wasn't a major loss.
As you say it does need to evolve. Andrew McQualter has big shoes to fill. If we don't get it right we will fall back into the pack

Cara is an esteemed coach.
I was just stating he was involved in one premiership prior to Richmond.
He left the Pies at the start of 2010.
In terms of personnel, Neil Balme has been involved in five premierships and should stay until age 70 at least.

There is an element of being at the right place at the right time. The planets didn't align for him at other clubs as well as it did with ours. Blake's game plan suited our players perfectly. It required the bulk of the team to have elite endurance and a stack of speed to pull it off. He won't find that combo at Essendon so he'll have to think up something different or a mish mash of what we had. I doubt it will work.

Neil Balme is a bloody legend. How stuffed in the head was Collingwood to shaft him??

Back