Public vs Private Schools

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Studies have shown that students from private schools are more likely to get into professional football and end up making a lot more money, while wife-beaters and rapists are nearly all public-school-educated.
LOL. Really? Rapists? Wife beaters? They just pay more for lawyers. I'd like to see one of those "studies".

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I went public 2 years and private 3. Quite frankly Max's comments don't make sense to me.

The value that private school adds is to act as a social filter only. If you're paying $30k per year for your kid to go to school then so do most of the other parents and as such you're setting a filter on the student body. A student there will either have parents who value education extremely highly and are making large investments in their children's success, or their child is gifted in some way and they got a scholarship, or they got a scholarship for being disadvantaged in some way but are that far in the minority they will never rock the boat. In all cases you're excluding bad parents from the equation, and the higher the fees the higher the minimum investment in parenting. The kids being abused or neglected by their parents are generally also the ones who disrupt and bully other kids, they slow down classes because their parents don't teach discipline or enforce homework.

"Quality of teaching", the astounding resources they have available (largely taxpayer funded I might add), and anything else they put forward as being a point of difference is really just window dressing.

TaxpYers fund students in private schools approx 8.5k per student per year and government schools cost 13.5 k each....the existence of private schools saves taxpayers a lot of money.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Is that fair dinkum?

I can recall my parents struggling to pay for our public education and always remember having to buy 2nd hand books from the kids in the level above us.
30k is mind boggling.
My 2 girls go to private and are in year 11 and it's no where near 30k..
Private sh1ts all over public every day of the week for us ..
They went to public in primary getting Cs & Ds and are now getting As in most subjects.
Its all about the teachers knowing how to teach.
And we pay under 12k for both .
Worth every cent .

They went to public in primary getting Cs & Ds and are now getting As in most subjects.
Worth every cent .
Mine get A’s and awards at public school so...

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Worth every cent .
Everyone has a different perpective I guess. My daughters go/went to public school. The eldest at Melbourne uni now scored over 97 atar and the youngest is a straight A student. Put in the work and you get result no matter how much you pay. I guess we were lucky that our local school is pretty good.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Kids can learn on the outhouse out the back. If they want to learn they will. The difference between the two comes down to opportunities and structure. My eldest is boarding at private, 54k a year. Schooling is a little backward in our neck of the woods.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Compared to doctors, lawyers, vets, scientists, engineers, accountants, etc. Yes.

The grades and requirements are very low. Teaching is not taxing on the mind. Its taxing on the ability to not punch whiny little smart arses in the chops.
You must be a teacher...not taxing on the mind. Good one...

They shouldn't
Fact. The majority of students in private schools come from families where husband and wife have to work full time to pay the fees. If you stopped government funding fees would go up, students would leave private schools in their droves, government schools would be inundated, and the system would collapse.
The other argument is that every student in Australia is entitled to receive government funding. As it is the level of funding depends on the postcode of the school and where the students live.

Fact. The majority of students in private schools come from families where husband and wife have to work full time to pay the fees. If you stopped government funding fees would go up, students would leave private schools in their droves, government schools would be inundated, and the system would collapse.
This is just a myth that is touted by mobs like ISCA here and ISA in the UK.

Private schools attendance suddenly drops... all those teachers and empty facilities are now available for public schools.

See UK and their disastrous academy schools system that is rife with fraud and failure, not to mention the social price of the "elite" schools and segregating kids from as young as 7 at boarding school. Many US charter school systems now pose a risk of fraud as well - the recent "ghost school" scandal in Australia has been a problem in the US for decades.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
What are you on about.

The Catholic private schools were churning out plenty of high quality footballers and hard nuts then.

Talking about the rich spoilt brat kids of today who play footy.
Get them to play the game in the 80's and 90's and they throw in the towel and follow in daddy's footsteps as he has contacts who opens the doors for these brats.

Get them to play the game in the 80's and 90's and they throw in the towel and follow in daddy's footsteps as he has contacts who opens the doors for these brats.

I mean this with no disrespect to the past players of our game, but today's players would run rings around most of the players of the previous century.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

There's your problem then. Your view of what a private school kid constitutes is a flawed one.

Plenty of working class kids attended private schools and rich parasites kids attended public schools.

Not as black and white as you try to paint it.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Private school kiddies wouldn't have lasted long if they tried playing this sport in the 70's and 80's.

Lol, have you seen the kids these days? A lot bigger, faster and stronger than kids in the past. The footy kids are all doing protein shakes and supplements now and in the gym a lot more. The hits at school level are bigger than they've ever been, not that you would have any clue.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, have you seen the kids these days? A lot bigger, faster and stronger than kids in the past. The footy kids are all doing protein shakes and supplements now and in the gym a lot more. The hits at school level are bigger than they've ever been, not that you would have any clue.

You have this bizarre fixation that men (and women for that matter) were not as tough, strong or athletic as the men today.

There are still many Olympic world records which are yet to have been broken in over 2 decades.

I would also take any pro boxer from the 50's and 60's against any boxer today. The men were mentally tougher in the old days.

You simply need to get past this whole 'today's human race is superior to anything in the past'. You sound like a f*cking 21 yr old who spends too much time at the gym starring at yourself in the mirror.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
This is just a myth that is touted by mobs like ISCA here and ISA in the UK.

Private schools attendance suddenly drops... all those teachers and empty facilities are now available for public schools.

See UK and their disastrous academy schools system that is rife with fraud and failure, not to mention the social price of the "elite" schools and segregating kids from as young as 7 at boarding school. Many US charter school systems now pose a risk of fraud as well - the recent "ghost school" scandal in Australia has been a problem in the US for decades.

Empty facilities? Just sitting around waiting for state education to use?

I don't think it works quite like that.

The other argument is that every student in Australia is entitled to receive government funding. As it is the level of funding depends on the postcode of the school and where the students live.
I don't agree with that. Public schools would be inundated with kids whose families value education and are willing to make some investment in the school. Public schools would be more inclined to expel disruptive students. Public schools would also have a shedload of cash coming their way which was not being spent on private schools.

I agree that the system would collapse, but that would be the same with any sudden change, do it over 20 years and it would be too slow to notice. I'm not advocating this change in any way either. Simply stating that if we burned it to the ground we could rebuild it.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You have this bizarre fixation that men (and women for that matter) were not as tough, strong or athletic as the men today.

There are still many Olympic world records which are yet to have been broken in over 2 decades.

I would also take any pro boxer from the 50's and 60's against any boxer today. The men were mentally tougher in the old days.

You simply need to get past this whole 'today's human race is superior to anything in the past'. You sound like a f*cking 21 yr old who spends too much time at the gym starring at yourself in the mirror.

Compare Olympic records or times from the 50s or 60s on average to today and you'll begin to realize how wrong you are. I never said today's kids are "tougher" because that's highly subjective, and only a fool would declare one generation tougher than another... Athletically though it's really no competition, humans are taller stronger and faster, no one with a brain can deny that.

How were boxers mentally tougher in the past? Do you even think before you speak or do you just constantly blurt out "hurrr durrr things were better back in my day just because and also a current affair said so"

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

No. Private entities should not be subsidised by government. The government should provide a free public education. People can opt out but if they do don't put your hand out for government funding. It's typical of the corporate neo-liberal philosophy of wanting government to stay out and stop interfering with the market but then putting their hands out for public funds. Scare campaigns about public schools being unable to cope are ridiculous, the government money provided to private schools would be diverted to public schools and provide any additional resources. Any shortfall could be covered by taxing religious institutions, many of whom operate the private schools.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
No. Private entities should not be subsidised by government. The government should provide a free public education. People can opt out but if they do don't put your hand out for government funding. It's typical of the corporate neo-liberal philosophy of wanting government to stay out and stop interfering with the market but then putting their hands out for public funds. Scare campaigns about public schools being unable to cope are ridiculous, the government money provided to private schools would be diverted to public schools and provide any additional resources. Any shortfall could be covered by taxing religious institutions, many of whom operate the private schools.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but on the idea of completely draining funds from private schools and diverting it to public schools sounds good on paper, im skeptical whether it will actually translate to higher educational output in the long run. My high school can barely handle just on 1000 students, couldn't imagine how they could accommodate an extra few hundred coming from neighboring private schools even with extra funding. They (Education Department) seem to constrict the school's funding to certain areas, meaning money is often spent on things we didn't really need like random renovations of classrooms that were otherwise great condition. Basically what I'm saying is that public schools, at least mine, aren't the best at spending the money they get. Not sure how it is at private schools, but judging by their educational output I can imagine they spend it pretty efficiently.

Having said that, I'd be all for lowering private education subsidies to be reallocated not just to public schools but to other areas of the budget.

Last edited:
Back