Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Liddle too stick what he knows best
So that's confirmation this is over Brandon Ellis. Liddle way out of his league, but either way this is embarrassing and it will be hard to see both moving forward together in a professional capacity.

Is CFC’s main objective to achieve its on-field and off-field goals, or is it to ensure that the CEO’s position is not undermined?

6rZ8g8R.jpg

Is CFC’s main objective to achieve its on-field and off-field goals, or is it to ensure that the CEO’s position is not undermined?

All good organisations need good governance, without it, success will be temporary. It’s the CEOs job to implement the processes in which to make the club successful.

If that means, requiring the recruiting team to come up with a decision together and not allowing SOS to ignore his other fellow recruiters then I’m all for it.

All good organisations need good governance, without it, success will be temporary. It’s the CEOs job to implement the processes in which to make the club successful.

If that means, requiring the recruiting team to come up with a decision together and not allowing SOS to ignore his other fellow recruiters then I’m all for it.
How do you know he ignores the other recruiters?

Because it’s the CEOs job to be in charge of all aspects of the club, to determine how the club is structured and run, to get the best outcome. The club has appointed a CEO to implement change and to improve our organisation from top down.
By having staff members not accountable to the CEO, the CEOs position is undermined.

WRONG!!!

Most properly managed companies employing best practice governance have the finance or control function as a separate report to the Board NOT the CEO. This is just ONE classic example of 'triangulation' getting various independent views from different sources to a Board.

I will say it again - the CEO title at a football Club is ceremonial - it does NOT imply total control or even influence over separate areas of vital importance to the functioning of a Club - all these areas should be separate reports in the formal sense.

if that newspaper article is correct and players were invited to tour Carlton - without SOS's knowledge it is an absolute disgrace.

Good governance is important, but it’s purpose is to facilitate and encourage good people do what they do best in the interests of the organisation. It’s not a object unto itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a problem for the president to resolve. CEO stepping outside his bounds needs to be reigned in. Silvagni's issues need to be settled. A CEO who loses good staff, that's going in the opposite direction to his role. CEO is supposed to hire and keep the best people, not lose them. If Liddle and MLG are good they will make it right. That's a pretty big part of their job.

Triple M saying SOS gone.. if this is accurate then it’s clearly more a personality issue than a performance one, because the list SOS has built is the envy of every team in the comp.
I wonder if he wants to step away from making the call on young Ben who would need to produce a bit to remain on the list after next year.

Young Ben developed very well this year. I wouldn’t be ruling him out, will get an extension at worst.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

WRONG!!!

Most properly managed companies employing best practice governance have the finance or control function as a separate report to the Board NOT the CEO. This is just ONE classic example of 'triangulation' getting various independent views from different sources to a Board.

I will say it again - the CEO title at a football Club is ceremonial - it does NOT imply total control or even influence over separate areas of vital importance to the functioning of a Club - all these areas should be separate reports in the formal sense.

if that newspaper article is correct and players were invited to tour Carlton - without SOS's knowledge it is an absolute disgrace.

JustaBattler is right, Greg Swans had far too much autonomy at our footy club in every aspect, especially football/coaching relates, and look what happened, Ratts got tipped out and Swann's BFF Malthouse was appointed and the rest is history.

From an off-field and membership growth perspective, I think Liddle is doing a decent job, but I simply don't believe he is qualified to meddle in list and draft and trade management issues, that is simply having too many fingers in too many pies.

I think you have been unknowingly highlighting the issue in your last few posts. As far as I’ve been told, in previous years SOS reported to the board, lately the board, through the CEO have made a change and SOS isn’t happy about it. There isn’t personal issues with anyone but issues regarding, final say, reporting and accountability.

You can’t have any staff members, who bypass the CEO.

How do you know SOS isn’t accountable?

He’s been there 5 years, very much doubt he’d be there 5 years and not be accountable.

I could see SOS questioning any direction given to him, if he thought it deserved questioning, ie. he ain’t a “yes” man. But that doesn’t mean he’s not accountable.

Added, if those in charge don’t like to be questioned, then they shouldn’t be in charge.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back