Analysis Rate our playing list from best player to worst by ability

Remove this Banner Ad

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have noticed some of our supporters in my own eyes overrate some of our players. No doubt i do the same. Would like to compare my own ranking order to others.

Position is relevant. Try balance up a players strengths vs weaknesses.

Rank 1 through to 41.

32 current + 5 draftees + 4 rookies

1. Marshall
2. Hill
3. Hannebury
4. King
5. Membrey
6. Roberton
7. Gresham
8. Billings
9. Clark
10. Wilkie

Just on that top 10, it's a very strong core to build around and most will be with us for many years to come.

11. Steele
12. Ryder
13. Ross
14. Battle
15. Jones
16. Savage
17. Howard
18. Austin
19. Webster
20. Dunstan
21. Sinclair
22. Butler
23. Hind
24. Carlisle
25. Coffield
26. Geary
27. Parker
28. Langlands
29. Paton
30. Brown
31. Long
32. Kent
33. Lonie
34. Mckenzie
35. Marsh
36. Phillips
37. Joyce
38. Clavarino
41. Alabakis

Mayo, Bytel - Where do they fit?

1. Marshall
2. Hill
3. Hannebury
4. Ross
5. Billings
6. Membrey
7. Gresham
8. Steele
9. Clark
10. Geary
11. Battle
12. Savage
13. Roberton
14. Wilkie
15. Jones
16. Carlisle
17. Howard
18. Ryder
19. Webster
20. Dunstan
21. Lonie
22. Butler
23. Hind
24. Parker
25. Paton
26. Coffield
27. Long
28. Sinclair
29. Brown
30. Austin
31.Langlands
32. Kent
33. King*
34. Mckenzie
35. Marsh
36. Phillips
37. Joyce
38. Clavarino
41. Alabakis

*King is impossible to slot in having no actual form other than a few VFL games but gets a decent spot for potential. Roberton was in our best 5 players a few years ago but drops due to no form line recently and also was playing below his best just before going down with his heart condition.

I have noticed some of our supporters in my own eyes overrate some of our players. No doubt i do the same. Would like to compare my own ranking order to others.

Position is relevant. Try balance up a players strengths vs weaknesses.

Rank 1 through to 41.

32 current + 5 draftees + 4 rookies

1. Marshall
2. Hill
3. Hannebury
4. King
5. Membrey
6. Roberton
7. Gresham
8. Billings
9. Clark
10. Wilkie

Just on that top 10, it's a very strong core to build around and most will be with us for many years to come.

11. Steele
12. Ryder
13. Ross
14. Battle
15. Jones
16. Savage
17. Howard
18. Austin
19. Webster
20. Dunstan
21. Sinclair
22. Butler
23. Hind
24. Carlisle
25. Coffield
26. Geary
27. Parker
28. Langlands
29. Paton
30. Brown
31. Long
32. Kent
33. Lonie
34. Mckenzie
35. Marsh
36. Phillips
37. Joyce
38. Clavarino
41. Alabakis

Mayo, Bytel - Where do they fit?
And I thought I didn't rate Geary
Don't you think Max should play a game first or are you rating on potential

And I thought I didn't rate Geary
Don't you think Max should play a game first or are you rating on potential

Basing on what he has done in the juniors and what i saw in the VFL this year. He is a beast of a player who will be unstoppable in time. I can quite happily slot him in at number four on raw ability alone. He won't disgrace himself this year i tell you that.

Of course this is how i see it :)

From just last season or over their careers?

And then how does King rank so high when his output has been nothing so far?
What about poor Seb, I'm not his number one fan but that low on the list can't be right surely

If it is ranking their current output, Ross has to be in the top 3.
2 best and fairest's, and a runner up in the past 3 years. Geary would need to be higher as well.

It's hard because Hill is probably our second best after coming off a very good year but without sitting him along side others he could be top 5 not top 2. Marshal l's second half of the season looked very good and looks like our best player. Seb would have been 2 but for Hill and Hannerbury's best is AA quality and voted by his peers as the AFL's most valuable player. His actual talent might be the second best on the list, perhaps first but it's been 3 or 4 years since we saw it.

Billings in the first half of the season looked our best player, two years ago Gresh looked like our only potential superstar. Geary is a battle-axe but limited as a player but still has to be in our bests. Much harder to do than it looks. I marked guys like Sincs too harshly I think too.

1. Hill
2. Marshall
3. Roberton
4. Billings
5. Hannebery
6. Membrey
7. Ross
8. Gresham
9. Carlisle
10. Webster
11. Steele
12. Jones
13. Howard
14. Clark
15. Dunstan
16. Wilkie
17. Battle
18. Savage
19. Geary
20. Ryder
21. Sinclair
22. Hind
23. Paton
24. Coffield
25. Lonie
26. Butler
27. Brown
28. Austin
29. Long
30. Parker
31. Kent
32. Phillips
33. McKenzie
34. Langlands
35. Marsh
36. Joyce
37. Clavarino
N/A. King
N/A. Bytel
N/A. Alabakis
N/A. Mayo

It's hard because Hill is probably our second best after coming off a very good year but without sitting him along side others he could be top 5 not top 2. Marshal l's second half of the season looked very good and looks like our best player. Seb would have been 2 but for Hill and Hannerbury's best is AA quality and voted by his peers as the AFL's most valuable player. His actual talent might be the second best on the list, perhaps first but it's been 3 or 4 years since we saw it.

Billings in the first half of the season looked our best player, two years ago Gresh looked like our only potential superstar. Geary is a battle-axe but limited as a player but still has to be in our bests. Much harder to do than it looks. I marked guys like Sincs too harshly I think too.
I would have it between Hill and Ross for 1 and 2. It's hard to rank one over the other. Objectively Hill would widely be seen as the better player but Ross has 2 bnfs compared to 1 for Hill. But would Hill have a 2nd one of he didnt play alongside Fyfe? But then Ross made the AA squad in 2017 which Hill has never done.

And then Hannebery has had a better career than both, but the past two seasons have been down in quality due to injury, so his current output his down but overall quality produced it the highest on our list.

I have Marshall down further than most because he has really produced consistent, top quality football for 3/4 of a season. He was our best during that period, but other players have done it for longer therefore there output has been higher than him. No doubt he would shoot up my list if he produces another top quality season next year, but right now he doesnt have the body of work that others have. Ryder also needs to be ranked high on the same basis as Hannebery, since he has made AA and Best and Fairest in 2017. Knocked down a bit due to injury on the same basis as Hannebery. But his overall output has been very high.

And Roberton can't be top 10 since he has missed 2 years from injury, otherwise he would be top 10.

My top 10
Hill
Ross
Billings
Gresh
Membrey
Hannebery
Marshall
Geary
Ryder
Carlisle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Hannebery - multiple AA. Class above when he played.
2. Ross
3. Hill
4. Gresham
5. Billings
6. Marshall
7. Membrey
8. Carlisle
9. Dunstan
10. Jones

Probably forgetting someone but you can throw a blanket on the rest of them IMO. A hair between them mostly.

1. Hill
2. Billings
3. Marshall
4. Gresham
5. Ross
6. Membrey
7. Hannebery
8. Roberton
9. Carlisle
10. Webster
11. Battle
12. Steele
13. Wilkie
14. Coffield
15. Clark
16. Jones
17. Long
18. Geary
19. Howard
20. Savage
21. Sinclair
22. Dunstan
23. Hind
24. Ryder
25. Butler
26. Lonie
27. Paton
28. Parker
29. Kent
30. Austin
31. Phillips
32. Brown
33. Joyce
34. McKenzie
35. Langlands
36. Marsh

Unranked and yet to debut: Clavarino, King, Bytel, Alabakis, Mayo

I'd be interested to see a tier list style as well, see which players we all rank where, might also give a more accurate reading on where we see out list at as having a lot of players close in ratings make them hard to order but easy to tier. tiermaker.com/create would be the place to do it if anyone has the effort to upload all the players profile pics ;)

Don't want to be a party pooper but can we maybe just rank the best 20 or so? I don't like seeing us ranking someone the worst on our list.

Just my 2c
Do you really think the players read all the garbage posted on here and even if they did do you think they would give a ratts ?
Man , its a forum , not the gospel truth

Do you really think the players read all the garbage posted on here and even if they did do you think they would give a ratts ?
Like all social media. They probably do read the stuff on here as well as Facebook and Twitter etc . And yes some would give a ratts. And some get upset, and some take what we say on here to heart.

We just all should be mindful of that. Lots of depression and suicides lately.

I suspect some do. But whether they read it or not I just don't see the benefit in ranking someone the worst. But those interested can go ahead, I'm just going to opt out of this thread.

My list based on everyone being fit and available. Only fair to have n/a for players yet to debut. Having said that I have a fair degree of confidence that Bytel and King in particular will in no time rocket up the list.

1573259958713.png

Attachments

• 1573259942979.png
    1573259942979.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 99
Like all social media. They probably do read the stuff on here as well as Facebook and Twitter etc . And yes some would give a ratts. And some get upset, and some take what we say on here to heart.

We just all should be mindful of that. Lots of depression and suicides lately.
Im not going to start up the mental health thread again but i can tell you from experience that its not reading on a forum that your not the best player on the list that sets people off to do harm to themselves , there are many things behind the scenes that do that.
But yes i can see your point to a degree

I'm not too keen on rating our players in lower rankings so I did a count of all my votes from the voting threads in 2019 and ranked the top ten players:

Marshall
Steele
Dunstan (this surprised me)
Ross
Billings
Gresham
Battle
Membrey
Savage
Clark

Bruce and Hannebery were just outside the 10 and Wilkie and Sinclair were also around the mark

With Bruce moved on and Hanners likely to play a much bigger role in 2020 and the new trade recruits coming in - especially Hill (3rd at Freo B&F behind Fyfe and Walters), Jones, Howard, Ryder and Butler - all expected to be first 22 - I would hope that some of these recruits would displace some of the players I listed from 2019 performances so the list might look more like this:

Marshall
Hill
Steele
Hannebery
Dunstan
Ross
Billings
Gresham
Jones
Battle
Membrey
Howard
Savage
Clark
Butler
Wilkie
Sinclair
Ryder

Thats 18 players just there - throw in King, Carlisle, Roberton and Geary and we already have a 22 worth a thought

FB: Geary Carlisle Wilkie
HB: Roberton Howard Clark

Rk: Marshall Steele Ross
C: Billings Hannebery Hill

HF: Gresham Battle Membrey
FF: Butler King Ryder

Int: Savage Dunstan Sinclair Jones

Last edited:
Hard to rate "ability", but I hope with a new coach, we may see more players play to their ability..I don't think enough players have played as a good as they can. Marshall stands out as a massive improver. Too many players have gone to a certain level and not gone further- I'll throw a blanket over the whole midfield brigade there- they need to be fitter, stronger and faster. Let's see how we go in 2020 before rating the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back