A Section Premier Division 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As old mate Bedford keeps saying, it’s a joke . What do clubs in lower grades have to look forward to , go up and straight back , as can’t compete . Clubs like Xavafl pay the whole footy department big bucks .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So what do you make of Ormond’s recent appointment of a playing assistant coach? (that old chestnut heh!)

Any VAFA club knocked off in recent times for breaching payment rules has generally involved remuneration to playing coaches. Notwithstanding he is a mate of the coach (that old chestnut part 2), one might legitimately ask why would someone from a club like Vermont play for nothing, and then have the added burden of coaching for nothing? Does the fact it is occurring in C grade make any difference or is it just the big end of town that have to cop those accusations being levelled at them?

I’m sure Bedford will come back with a spirited defence. I am also quite sure that this is all above board but whenever a playing coach is appointed these days; particularly an outsider, there is always a smell about it. I don’t think the fact this is not OX, SKOB, Blue or Collegians should make any difference.

Last edited:
You've really come out guns blazing HH.

Not your first time round these parts I'd guess..

Everyone has their pros and cons.
Love your understated comments, Chazz. :thumbsu:

Question: When announcing these big signings, do you think the club should provide some context on how they were able to sign these players. I know for a fact Mirra had a pretty substantial offer from Blackburn that he turned down to join Collegians. I am not insinuating that anything untoward is going on, but if you look at the comments on Paul Amy's twitter feed, the perception in the local footy community is that of "VAFA pfft, here we go with again."

For instance (and I'm not sure this is the case here), "Collegians were able to provide a career pathway for Mirra for life after AFL football." Not only would if fend off these rumours and the integrity of the VAFA, but also a great advertising tool for the Collegians and the competition.

Thoughts?

Don't think the clubs owe explanations to anyone other than the folk who sit around the board table at Elsternwick. Perhaps they could be more forthcoming though.

We can rest easy knowing The Independent Integrity Division at the VAFA would be all over these matters and be wholly satisfied all ex AFL players sign-on primarily for the love of the game, and/or the club, and there are no incentives offered outside those ticked-off by the movers-n-shakers at Elsternwick. Can't we??

Amazing how things have changed, in the late 80s, mid 90s players coming directly out of AFL were made to sit out for the season before they were allowed to play. Now more players are coming directly from AFL than ever before
I think it is time for the VAFA to drop amateur from their name.

It is a farce. Wait for the next lot at BLUESAFL , not just Thomas , but Kennedy-Harris and Stretch from Melbourne !
I don’t really see the problem in clubs going after ex-AFL talent. Where would you rather them play? “Sorry mate you played in the big league so you can’t join us, so maybe piss off to the outer suburbs and don’t try and set up your future.” From personal experience they’re usually pretty nice guys who realise if they’re a d*ckhead they won’t get anywhere due to the environments (maybe UNIAFL is an exception 🤣). Don’t for one second think Trinity and Scotch would say no to an ex-AFL bloke coming in this off season FTLOTG. The only downside is guys who probably deserve an opportunity don’t get one. And that’s life. UNIAFL have no depth so they’d crumble without the external talent coming in. Last season was one of the best ever, and I think talent has something to do with it.

45 from all angles.

Amazing how things have changed, in the late 80s, mid 90s players coming directly out of AFL were made to sit out for the season before they were allowed to play. Now more players are coming directly from AFL than ever before
I think it is time for the VAFA to drop amateur from their name.
Not going to happen. No chance of changing this on the back of jealous folk who missed signing a talented player.

I don’t really see the problem in clubs going after ex-AFL talent. Where would you rather them play? “Sorry mate you played in the big league so you can’t join us, so maybe piss off to the outer suburbs and don’t try and set up your future.” From personal experience they’re usually pretty nice guys who realise if they’re a d*ckhead they won’t get anywhere due to the environments (maybe UNIAFL is an exception 🤣). Don’t for one second think Trinity and Scotch would say no to an ex-AFL bloke coming in this off season FTLOTG. The only downside is guys who probably deserve an opportunity don’t get one. And that’s life. UNIAFL have no depth so they’d crumble without the external talent coming in. Last season was one of the best ever, and I think talent has something to do with it.

45 from all angles.

You speak a lot of sense 45/

It is a farce. Wait for the next lot at BLUESAFL , not just Thomas , but Kennedy-Harris and Stretch from Melbourne !
UniAFL played on 45 points in the 2019 Grand Final. This will be reduced down to 38 points with 7 players will have their points reduced by 1 each.

Plus ex AFL Sam Grimley. That will be 21 to 22 points just in those 4 players.

How can they fit them all in?????

Max "I umpired at the uni oval once, so now I qualify as a 1 pointer" Leader

Last edited:
UniAFL played on 45 points in the 2019 Grand Final. This will be reduced down to 38 points with 7 players will have their points reduced by 1 each.

Plus ex AFL Sam Grimley. That will be 21 to 22 points just in those 4 players.

How can they fit them all in?????

Max "I umpired at the uni oval once, so now I qualify as a 1 pointer" Leader
Looks like Mav Weller and a few other new AFL recruits will be running around in the two's. Unless of course they correctly pointed out Melbourne Uni on Google maps and therefore qualify as one point players.

Gee hasn't the forum fired up during the carnival.

Anyone care to summarise all the recruits that have been thrown up and where they are headed? Really get the rumour mill flying...

We've had Mav Weller (Blues), Dale Thomas (Blues), Sam Grimley (Blues), Jay Kennedy Harris (blues), Billy Stretch (blues), David Mirra (Collegians), David Armitage (collegians), Tom Boyd (Trinity).

I've missed a few I'm sure, so over to you lot!

45 from all angles.
I have no problem with them getting ex AFL , it's just going like the EPL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you make of Ormond’s recent appointment of a playing assistant coach? (that old chestnut heh!)

Any VAFA club knocked off in recent times for breaching payment rules has generally involved remuneration to playing coaches. Notwithstanding he is a mate of the coach (that old chestnut part 2), one might legitimately ask why would someone from a club like Vermont play for nothing, and then have the added burden of coaching for nothing? Does the fact it is occurring in C grade make any difference or is it just the big end of town that have to cop those accusations being levelled at them?

I’m sure Bedford will come back with a spirited defence. I am also quite sure that this is all above board but whenever a playing coach is appointed these days; particularly an outsider, there is always a smell about it. I don’t think the fact this is not OX, SKOB, Blue or Collegians should make any difference.
No spirited defence JJ, he won't be getting paid , pe teacher at Macca High and wants coaching experience.

Anyone heard Josh Mellington (former Docker and recently kicked 113 goals for Albury last season) on his way to the Orrong Hotel this off-season?

Watched him play for Echuca earlier this year - gun player in a good comp, would be a good get. Having said that I've heard that he was trouble off-field when he played for Albury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back