Society/Culture Media Silence over Women’s Violence Toward Children

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
And with a knife. Not just a gun that wipes them all out in 30 seconds of craziness.
She went around slashing screaming kids and chasing them down as they ran away.

Yep.

Absolute animal who totally got off on the 🐱 pass.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
There are articles, yes, but why don’t we see ‘special event’ episodes of Q&A, Hack, Insight et al dedicated to discussion of this apparent ‘crisis’ - which is what it would be called if we had this amount of children and babies murdered by their fathers.

Why do we not see proper discussion of this issue?

Why does the narrative continue to be dominated by the idea that children are most at risk from their fathers?
So basically.. the ABC is silent is what you are trying to say?

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Her name is not well known. I couldnt even remember it. I just remember the act that was front page news for barely 2 days. Her act was utterly horrific. It should of been front page news for weeks. Instead she was treated by the media as a victim along with her children and the story very quickly disappeared from the news.
I agree this crime was under reported, but I believe that was more to do with the mental health aspect than being female.

The ruling of schizophrenia didn't sit well with me either FWIW. But we are very much outsiders on this case.

If it was media hiding female rimes why is there over 100 articles about Kathleen folbigg? Why is there a mini series slash (pub intended) movie on Katherine knight?

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree this crime was under reported, but I believe that was more to do with the mental health aspect than being female.

The ruling of schizophrenia didn't sit well with me either FWIW. But we are very much outsiders on this case.

If it was media hiding female rimes why is there over 100 articles about Kathleen folbigg? Why is there a mini series slash (pub intended) movie on Katherine knight?

Katherine Knight is irrelevant.

She wasn’t a child or baby murderer.

This sounds like a pretty complex case.

Several psychiatrists have spent the past two years trying to unpack what was going through Thaiday's head when she went on the rampage, early on December 19, 2014.

One thing was abundantly clear, they say. She was not on drugs or affected by alcohol. She just simply had not understood what she was doing.

That is why the case has been conducted in the Mental Health Court, instead of the criminal courts.

The lifting of a court-imposed embargo means it can now be revealed that a ruling of "unsound mind" was handed down, meaning Thaiday will never face a trial for her actions.

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

This sounds like a pretty complex case.

Not really.

Underlying mental health issues, exasperated by prolonged and habitual use of hydroponic cannabis/methamphetamine.

Extreme outcome, no doubt.

But not at all unpredictable.

Not really.

Underlying mental health issues, exasperated by prolonged and habitual use of hydroponic cannabis/methamphetamine.

Extreme outcome, no doubt.

But not at all unpredictable.
Murder of 8 kids not unpredictable?

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Murder of 8 kids not unpredictable?

I said it was an extreme outcome.

Habitual cannabis and meth use related mental health issues/psychosis etc - which was what was used in her defense....not unpredictable.

All the elements were in place in that regard for some kind of tragedy.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
But I thought the ABC was silent Zombie Squad?

Who got more media attention at time of incident?

Darcy Freeman being dropped from West Gate Bridge by her father, or 8 children being stabbed to death by there mother?

Who was demonised more? Arthur Freeman or Thaiday?

Who was punished more severely? Arthur Freeman or Thaiday?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Darcy Freeman being dropped from West Gate Bridge by her father, or 8 children being stabbed to death by there mother?

I don't know because I don't live bitterly in the past with prejudice like you do.

Don't forget one was found guilty of murder and plead not guilty to mental impairment. The other was found to be mentally incompetent at the time. Incomparable really.

Last edited:

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Zombie Squad

Fortius Quo Infidelius
Oct 24, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I do wonder if the (cough) ‘cultural’ issues surrounding the Thaiday case may also have played a role in the seeming favourable run she received from media and ultimately the judiciary.

Given how much of a minefield the Thaiday case must have been for the media, in terms of not wanting to inadvertently walk over any racial land mines etc, I can certainly see why they may not have pursued the perpertrator in this case, as hard as they may have if they had of been of a non indigenous background.

Same applies to the judiciary.

That then brings us back to the question of whether, if fillicide statistics suggest it is a 50/50 crime, what then explains the seemingly far more favourable media coverage and legal outcomes received by women over men.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I do wonder if the (cough) ‘cultural’ issues surrounding the Thaiday case may also have played a role in the seeming favourable run she received from media and ultimately the judiciary.

Given how much of a minefield the Thaiday case must have been for the media, in terms of not wanting to inadvertently walk over any racial land mines etc, I can certainly see why they may not have pursued the perpertrator in this case, as hard as they may have if they had of been of a non indigenous background.

Same applies to the judiciary.

That then brings us back to the question of whether, if fillicide statistics suggest it is a 50/50 crime, what then explains the seemingly far more favourable media coverage and legal outcomes received by women over men.

When intimate partner violence is Uni-directional (meaning the violence is non-reciprocal and it's just one party being violent to the other party), the perpetrator is actually more likely to be female and the victim male. Yet I doubt one person in this thread would believe it. That's the effect of feminist brainwashing at play, and decades of the media and government framing domestic violence as a gendered issue in which men are the perpetrators and women are the victims.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
When intimate partner violence is Uni-directional (meaning the violence is non-reciprocal and it's just one party being violent to the other party), the perpetrator is actually more likely to be female and the victim male. Yet I doubt one person in this thread would believe it. That's the effect of feminist brainwashing at play, and decades of the media and government framing domestic violence as a gendered issue in which men are the perpetrators and women are the victims.
Where's your proof? You keep saying this yet you have never provided any proof other than your anecdote.

The Thaiday case was extensively covered for a month. The reason some of the details were limited was to do with the ethics surrounding the reporting of mental health. Journalists would have to have basically ignored the opinion of experts to go into more detail, and that's assuming they would have been able to even source the information. Fair chance they and their broadcaster would have gotten in big trouble for doing so too.

It's why we also didn't initially get much information regarding the murder of Phil Walsh.

I definitely heard more about Thaiday, living in QLD.

I remember not actually remembering who Freeman was when I saw him brought up on here last year, and I tend to watch ABC News when I can.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It beggars belief that anyone could accept the mental illness narrative as being justification for less media attention or a lighter sentence. Every serial killer, spree killer, every true monster in society is "mentally ill". Anti-social personality disorder / psychopathy and what ever else. Sane people don't do this s**t ffs.

Thaiday even likely contributed to her own illness via years of drug abuse.

I spent plenty of time throughout my 20s in psych wards, and they have sayings in the industry such as "Your illness is not your fault, but it is your responsibility". I'm all for mental health advocacy, but when a person does something so truly evil as Thaiday did, I don't believe mental illness should be a consideration in sentencing.

Next there'll be arguments that paedophilia is a mental illness and deserves lighter sentencing.

It beggars belief that anyone could accept the mental illness narrative as being justification for less media attention or a lighter sentence. Every serial killer, spree killer, every true monster in society is "mentally ill". Anti-social personality disorder / psychopathy and what ever else. Sane people don't do this s**t ffs.

I spent plenty of time throughout my 20s in psych wards, and they have sayings in the industry such as "Your illness is not your fault, but it is your responsibility". I'm all for mental health advocacy, but when a person does something so truly evil as Thaiday did, I don't believe mental illness should be a consideration in sentencing.

Next there'll be arguments that paedophilia is a mental illness and deserves lighter sentencing.
The point is that if journalists misreport the case, their employers risk a hefty lawsuit and they're probably out of the job for life.

It's not a justification. It's a fact that journalists will understandably tread carefully when reporting a case like Thaiday's. Not necessarily for her, but rather themselves and their workplace.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

She hardly got a lighter sentence when you consider she has been committed for schizophrenia...

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point is that if journalists misreport the case, their employers risk a hefty lawsuit and they're probably out of the job for life.

It's not a justification. It's a fact that journalists will understandably tread carefully when reporting a case like Thaiday's. Not necessarily for her, but rather themselves and their workplace.
What do you mean by "if they misreport a case"? Surely when reporting any crime, their job is to report the facts as they are known. How is that any different with a mentally ill suspect vs one who is not mentally ill?

What do you mean by "if they misreport a case"? Surely when reporting any crime, their job is to report the facts as they are known. How is that any different with a mentally ill suspect vs one who is not mentally ill?
They DID report the facts that were known. This thread is basically OP and others having a sulk because they didn't report information they weren't legally allowed to.

Back