Bulldogs Board Mock Draft - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 67 - Angus Baker

Sydney have been watching him this year, and he was named the NEAFL rising star for good reason. Trained with the Swans last year too but missed out on a rookie spot. This year, I think he's done well enough to justify a spot on the senior list. Is a ball magnet playing in the midfield, and has a great endurance base and leg speed that will see him feature in the 22 this year. I haven't grabbed a proper inside mid yet, and I think Baker is a no-brainer for this pick after considering a few others (Potter, Garcia and Warner were the main ones)
Former Sydney Academy player who blew out a knee in 2017, lead the NEAFL MVP until overtaken late to
finish second, averaged 30 possessions and 6 marks a game.

It is interesting looking at all the mock drafts and seeing so much variation. How's to show just how even the talent is this year. I view this draft different to most though. There is plenty of talent and xfactor to be had and I think it bats deeper then some give it credit for. The main reason people are down on the draft is because there isn't many top of the line inside mids and outside of mcasey and Jackson no high quality talls. Lucky for us we are after the exact kind of player this draft offers. I'm finishing off my first phantom draft for the year tonight and pretty confident with the talent available to us.

It is interesting looking at all the mock drafts and seeing so much variation. How's to show just how even the talent is this year. I view this draft different to most though. There is plenty of talent and xfactor to be had and I think it bats deeper then some give it credit for. The main reason people are down on the draft is because there isn't many top of the line inside mids and outside of mcasey and Jackson no high quality talls. Lucky for us we are after the exact kind of player this draft offers. I'm finishing off my first phantom draft for the year tonight and pretty confident with the talent available to us.
If we went back to 2017, I'd be mortified seeing how I rated some of the talent there. I thought LDU should've gone pick 1, wanted Richards at pick 9 (shocked to see him last to 16, but turns out he was a bolter to that pick if anything), thought Coffield >>> Naughton, thought Liam Ryan would turn out a complete failure, and honestly felt that Cal Porter would be in regular midfield rotations by the time his first contract ended. So many things I've been wrong about from previous drafts.

I'm sure from this year's crop, there'll be guys like Luke Jackson, Trent Rivers and Cody Weightman who produce next to nothing, while players overlooked entirely from this mock draft will probably end up guns

I did a fifty pick needs phantom with no bids or pick swaps this morning, it's still tough as you enter the thirties.
The teams with multiple picks (Adelaide) had an average draft, but we got Liam Henry which was sweet love his
ties. The AFL are trying to emulate overseas drafts which is fine, but I don't like it much too confusing.

I did a fifty pick needs phantom with no bids or pick swaps this morning, it's still tough as you enter the thirties.
The teams with multiple picks (Adelaide) had an average draft, but we got Liam Henry which was sweet love his
ties. The AFL are trying to emulate overseas drafts which is fine, but I don't like it much too confusing.
I hate the fact that the draft exists as an equalisation measure, yet the AFL have allowed the Academies to completely destroy it. Defeats the purpose of the draft if you're going to pre-allocate so many of the best players to different sides. When was the last time GWS walked away from the draft without a massive haul of Academy kids?

I understand the occasional father son (but no discount should be given), but Academies are an absolute rort. Good thing we get Ugle-Hagan next year, but it's stupid that no matter where we finish on the ladder, it's basically guaranteed that we get one of the best kids in the country just because he happened to be tied to our Academy. I get that the Academies involve development from the clubs, but it really ruins the spirit of a draft

Collingwood
Pick 36 - Sam Philp
Pick 61 - Karl Finaly
Pick 66 - Keidan Coleman

Sydney
Pick 11 - Will Gould
Pick 18 - Jeremy Sharp
Pick 32 - Ryan Byrnes
Pick 43 - Jack Mahony
Pick 67 - Angus Baker

If we went back to 2017, I'd be mortified seeing how I rated some of the talent there. I thought LDU should've gone pick 1, wanted Richards at pick 9 (shocked to see him last to 16, but turns out he was a bolter to that pick if anything), thought Coffield >>> Naughton, thought Liam Ryan would turn out a complete failure, and honestly felt that Cal Porter would be in regular midfield rotations by the time his first contract ended. So many things I've been wrong about from previous drafts.

I'm sure from this year's crop, there'll be guys like Luke Jackson, Trent Rivers and Cody Weightman who produce next to nothing, while players overlooked entirely from this mock draft will probably end up guns
Happens every year. In my mock I have Jackson going at 6 to Sydney, rivers to port at 18 (very keen on him) and weightman sliding to lions at 16

Gold Coast
Pick 1 - Matthew Rowell
Pick 2 - Noah Anderson
Pick 7 - Luke Jackson
Pick 55 - Adam Tipungwuti
Pick 68 - Bigoa Nyuon

Pick 69 (every Sainter's fav number): Jay Rantall

Strong medium sized player (184, 82) with elite tank and speed, knows how to find the ball, good with defensive pressure, needs to work on kicking. We need midfield types since we just got rid of a packet of them.

Strong medium sized player (184, 82) with elite tank and speed, knows how to find the ball, good with defensive pressure, needs to work on kicking. We need midfield types since we just got rid of a packet of them.
North Melbourne took him in the twenties mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to take 3 in the draft, therefore I will pass on my last pick to promote Callum Wilkie (22 games in 2019, 191, 87, general defender) to the senior list.

Therefore:

St Kilda
51. Darcy Chergwin
69. Anthony Scott (edit)
Pick whatever: Callum Wilkie (rookie promotion)

Last edited:

He was taken by North at Pick 27. Had to double take because I thought you'd just found yourself an incredible slider haha

Molly Meldrum rang and said take Cooper Sharman and do yourself a favour. ;)
Riley Garcia is somehow still on the board too...
Chad Warner and Lachlan Potter are two others. Potter was talked up as a potential early pick a year ago

Ok, going slops on pick 69 since my first effort did not work out.

StK pick 69: Anthony Scott (Western Bulldogs VFL, mid, 180, 77)

Mature age pick up, 25 in 2020, ready to go, great season in VFL. Can find the goals and versatile.

Last edited:
I pass on my final pick. Have Jack Martin waiting for me in the preseason draft. Need to keep a list spot open

Onto you Euku

Don't need forwards.
After St Kilda's extensive trade period it's hard to suggest they need much of anything, but with the likes of
Billings, Gresham, Kent, Sinclair, Hind, Long, Lonie, Butler and now Anthony Scott they have small to high
half forward well and truly covered.

Note: On a serious note I apologise for interrupting the mock draft on more than one occasion, but I do
rate Cooper Sharman as a player he has already grown to 194 cm and has massive upside the last
half of every mock this year has been hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back