Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough, tall, good mark, disciplined, fights hard when the ball hits the deck, footy IQ. These attributes make for a good KPD.

We already have a surplus of big fwds and do not want a fwd ruck clogging the fwd line -bw this Sinkers or McLean. Reid can pinch hit as relief ruck.

I don't see it personally, would have to be a Grundy kind of unit because anything else and he wouldn't cut it. I reckon he'd also get eaten alive by the more athletic forwards.

I'm also not convinced that we have a surplus of big forwards. There's Buddy, sure, and McCartin I think will become a more than handy second forward. Reid is garbage, Sinclair's not great either and also not getting any younger. Blakey will be playing more up the ground. So if we have a bloke who has shown he can thrive as a key forward in the NEAFL, while also having the guts to compete as a ruck to support our injury-prone main ruck, why would we not use him?

Agree with your thoughts on Buddy, Sinclare, McCartin, Blakey.. but think you're undervaluing Reid.
McLean showed heaps of ticker in the few senior games he played. Would love to see him get more senior games next year. Whether thats forward or back, doesn't bother me, as long as hes on the field. But reckon his future is in the forward line, despite having good attributes to play down back

This would be Lance's first full pre-season in years!
Was that Florent in the footage? I hope they keep the reins on Buddy. Players like him with such massive competitive spirit need to be protected from themselves.

Was that Florent in the footage? I hope they keep the reins on Buddy. Players like him with such massive competitive spirit need to be protected from themselves.
Yes, in the opening frame, with arms wide as comes out the door.

When one of our most exciting young talents, and possibly most improved, with an acknowledged history of fronting at preseason in less than ideal condition, franks the displayed improvement in commitment by presenting in better nick than all his contemporaries, that is indeed something to be excited about.
Since when has Dawson not fronted up to a preseason in "less than ideal condition"? That's the first I've heard of this negativity.

Since when has Dawson not fronted up to a preseason in "less than ideal condition"? That's the first I've heard of this negativity.

But talent is one thing, application another.

This was a lesson Dawson learned at the end of 2017 when he reported back for preseason "a bit unfit".

"My skinnies [skinfolds] were a bit higher than they should have been," Dawson admits.

Players are given programs during their break to ensure they come back ready for the summer slog. Dawson, however, thought he would be "able to rock up and it will happen".

"I didn't follow it to the level it should have been done," he says.

Being 1.5kg overweight is no big deal for most of us, but the margins are fine in the AFL.

The coaches were not happy and let him know about it. They did not give him a blast, which in some ways made Dawson feel worse.

"It wasn't a spray, more a heart to heart," Dawson says. "They said I was a bit behind the pack and I had to catch up."

It cost him.

"I got injured a few weeks in," Dawson says. "That proved if you're not going to do the work you'll get caught out. That was a wake-up call."

If you've played up you finish a good last from memory.
Position in the run is irrelevant as it depends on ones natural abilities. You need to compare it wi their PBs unless they are approaching retirement. I'm sure that Round, Hall and Mumford would have finished close to last in most runs, but that doesn't mean they've played up. Comparing them to players like Bolton, Parker, Hanners, etc is ridiculous.

I don't see it personally, would have to be a Grundy kind of unit because anything else and he wouldn't cut it. I reckon he'd also get eaten alive by the more athletic forwards.

I'm also not convinced that we have a surplus of big forwards. There's Buddy, sure, and McCartin I think will become a more than handy second forward. Reid is garbage, Sinclair's not great either and also not getting any younger. Blakey will be playing more up the ground. So if we have a bloke who has shown he can thrive as a key forward in the NEAFL, while also having the guts to compete as a ruck to support our injury-prone main ruck, why would we not use him?

Reid is not garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

garbage can be usefully recycled

I can't wait wait for Reid to kick 40+ this year... while playing as a spare in defence and 2nd ruck
just to shut you guys up

Reid's highest goal tally is 31, and that was in 2012.

You'll be waiting a while..

I can't wait wait for Reid to kick 40+ this year... while playing as a spare in defence and 2nd ruck
just to shut you guys up

yeah give him time, he will develop one day lol

I've left the porch light on for Harold Holt.

but hes moved back and forward a lot
he rucks sometimes
hes in the 6th most efficient forward line
buddy gets in his way
buddy wasnt there to help
tippett and buddy got in his way
he makes space

etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back