Remove this Banner Ad

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clubs always offer contracts to players they don’t want. Right? :thumbsu:
s**t ones yep.
Its a way to respectfully say goodbye or get a bargain. You must be 13 years old. Ok let me explain something the world isnt straight forward. Offering a contract to someone does not mean you really want/need their services. It can be tactical, it can be bargain hunting.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
s**t ones yep.
Its a way to respectfully say goodbye or get a bargain. You must be 13 years old. Ok let me explain something the world isnt straight forward. Offering a contract to someone does not mean you really want/need their services. It can be tactical, it can be bargain hunting.

So can you explain to me the tactic behind the Saints offering Newnes a 2 year deal? Considering they didn’t want him? What was their end goal? To have a player on their list they didn’t want?

I’m genuinely interested.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
So can you explain to me the tactic behind the Saints offering Newnes a 2 year deal? Considering they didn’t want him? What was their end goal? To have a player on their list they didn’t want?

EveryTHING has its price

Newnes on the list for rookie chump change IS a want.

but a serious want? ha no.

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

The general consensus amongst saints supporters is that he has been paid very well for the past few years, and seeing that he didn’t bloom into something incredible, the saints low balled his next 2 years. He has become accustomed to a larger (top 25% of st Kilda’s players salaries) salary, and wanted more, so didn’t sign the contract.
Carlton has come through with what he sees as a more reasonable salary, and he signed on the dotted line. It might not be longer, but probably more than what we offered.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
s**t ones yep.
yeah, nah.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Jones is beeter than meh

you know whos less than meh?
thats right newnes. Enjoy his 60m kicks to no where but opposition.

Acres? dumb just so dumb.

ZJones is a bullet. Nutter rackles hard runs hard and has kicked some amazing goals.
With some incredibly stupid turnovers.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones is beeter than meh

you know whos less than meh?
thats right newnes. Enjoy his 60m kicks to no where but opposition.

Acres? dumb just so dumb.

ZJones is a bullet. Nutter rackles hard runs hard and has kicked some amazing goals.
Averages 4 goals a year, you'd hope they're good ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
So when you guys got De Boar, Mzungo and other mature depth options was it due to pressure? Is it possible that we need some experience and see potential in Newnes to play a role? He is not the worst footballer going around
If you needed experience you should have kept Thomas. This looks like a panic move by SOS.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Thomas would have been a free hit too. Just seems a bit of a kick in the teeth for him.
The idea was the Daisy wasn't exactly helping drive the professional standards of the club,
Newnes is probably more similar to someone like Ed Curnow, who despite not being a star puts everything into his preparation etc.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Thomas would have been a free hit too. Just seems a bit of a kick in the teeth for him.

There were some off field issues with Thomas unfortunately

It's not a free hit.you cut Angus Schumacher for t6hr list spot 🤷‍♂️

It's a myth when clubs say it's a free hit you when you cut a kid who might of turned it around.

I would have kept Shuey for another year, gaining Newnes has nothing to do with it, as others were delisted too

Newnes is a free hit

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
St.Kilda fans bagging an ex-player and downplaying his value...BF at it's best.

Newnes..26 year old with strong leadership qualities who has played 155 games, was in the Saints leadership group for two years, and is said to be an exceptional trainer. He has been recruited to provide on & off field leadership and to play wing; a position we have been very weak in for the last ten years. He cost nothing. He is a perfect fit for us.

Mature age - tick
AFL ready - tick
Leadership qualities - tick
Paid nothing - tick

Carlton gave up nothing for him in terms of trade and draft so its an excellent result to get him to the club under those circumstances.

Time will tell whether it is a shrewd recruitment or whether he is the hack some Saints fans are calling him.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
St.Kilda fans bagging an ex-player and downplaying his value...BF at it's best.

Newnes..26 year old with strong leadership qualities who has played 155 games, was in the Saints leadership group for two years, and is said to be an exceptional trainer. He has been recruited to provide on & off field leadership and to play wing; a position we have been very weak in for the last ten years. He cost nothing. He is a perfect fit for us.

Mature age - tick
AFL ready - tick
Leadership qualities - tick
Paid nothing - tick

Carlton gave up nothing for him in terms of trade and draft so its an excellent result to get him to the club under those circumstances.

Time will tell whether it is a shrewd recruitment or whether he is the hack some Saints fans are calling him.
Mate if a Saints supporter had compared Newnes to Ed Curnow 6 months ago Blues fans would have had a fit. Now they're similar lol. That's Bigfooty at its finest.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate if a Saints supporter had compared Newnes to Ed Curnow 6 months ago Blues fans would have had a fit. Now they're similar lol. That's Bigfooty at its finest.
It’s pretty sad when club fans bag a player and his abilities when he leaves, particularly when it’s more the club’s decision than his that he moves on (lowball offer). He’s played 155 games at your club yet is mercilessly bagged out by saints supporters. Deserves a bit more don’t you think?

As for Newnes...I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read. That he’s a good leader on and off the field, and gets the best out of himself. May have deficiencies with his disposal, but I like what he will bring to Carlton.

Hoping for his sake (and ours) that he’s a good pick up.

Last edited:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
It’s pretty sad when club fans bag a player and his abilities when he leaves, particularly when it’s more the club’s decision than his that he moves on (lowball offer). He’s played 155 games at your club yet is mercilessly bagged out by saints supporters. Deserves a bit more don’t you think?

As for Newnes...I don’t know much about him other than what I’ve read. That he’s a good leader on and off the field, and gets the best out of himself. May have deficiencies with his disposal, but I like what he will bring to Carlton.

Hoping for his sake (and ours) that he’s a good pick up.
He has hardly been mercifully bagged. Been a good servant of the club but reality is his last two years were poor. Before that he was good, hopefully he can get back to that for you.

Back