Competitions 2019 Phantom Draft

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well well well, here i am waiting for Kemp or McAsey as the player i want to get to my Port pick and beaten in the shadows of the post twice. Oh the life of a recruiter. Good picks Dom and SonOf.

So the player i think is remarkably imo still here is Luke Jackson, but i have Lycett, Ladhams and Sam Hayes as ruckmen already on the list. But Jackson is No.5 on my board and i think he could be special.....oh s**t. Even though i'm slightly in favour of the Harker "fit but not overreach" argument than the Arrow "always BA" argument, the truth is always apply each case individually.

Ah rambling.....

Pick 12 Port: Luke Jackson

Jackson is 5 on my board( Kemp is 4 and McAsey 7) and i just can't pass up what could be a special player amongst imo a rather generic lot. Jackson is nearly the youngest of all the Top 20 mooted players and only came to the game in the last 2 or so years. Yet his production and play is already high level and his scope is large. He plays like a level above sports athlete and is a natural at footy.

Bottomline...too good a prospect to pass up.

Next up RoyalParade

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok I've thought about this a couple of different ways.

I considered Pickett here based on his invite to the draft, and the fact that dogs missed on Martin due to lack of indigenous talent. Something they will be looking to rectify.

I considered Bergman, due to the noise around home rising up draft boards.

I also considered weightman, as dogs appear to be linked to him.

In the end I went with best available, who also fits a need;

PICK 13 - WB - Caleb Serong

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Ok I've thought about this a couple of different ways.

I considered Pickett here based on his invite to the draft, and the fact that dogs missed on Martin due to lack of indigenous talent. Something they will be looking to rectify.

I considered Bergman, due to the noise around home rising up draft boards.

I also considered weightman, as dogs appear to be linked to him.

In the end I went with best available, who also fits a need;

PICK 13 - WB - Caleb Serong
Blugazi

3fo34v.jpg

Edit: Blugazi ...you ruined my joke by posting your selection :p

SonOfColin

Debutant
Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Bid on Finn Maguinness while I'm at dinner.

SonOfColin
I will match that.

Jeremias Could you work out my new draft picks, thanks.

Pick 15 Hawthorn - Finn Maginness

187cm 80kg Sandringham

Father son pick who will almost definitely get picked up on a bid after the first pick.

A lot of work require to be AFL quality, while he is a good user of the ball and can kick a goal, but he isn’t an accumulator and gets caught holding the ball frequently.

But there is great potential there and plenty of reason for Hawthorn supporter to be excited about.

Wickzki sorry for the quick one

#15 - Cody Weightman, Dandenong Stingrays

Height: 177cm | Weight: 73kg

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “An electric small forward who kicks goals in bags and can take high marks, Weightman’s outstanding National Championships propelled him up draft boards into first round contention.”
ARGUABLY the leading pure small forward in this year’s crop, Dandenong excitement machine Cody Weightman enjoyed a stellar national carnival which helped him catch the eye of fans and recruiters alike. The Haileybury Collegian spent a large chunk of his year playing school football, but managed six NAB League appearances and all four Vic Country outings in between where he found some of his best form. His showpiece games came for the ‘Big V’ against the Allies and South Australia, booting four goals in each match to finish as the carnival’s leading goalkicker and put his name in lights. An archetypical small type, Weightman has most of the athletic traits that clubs desire and undeniable natural talent inside 50 on the ground, in the air, and around goal. A club with specific small forward needs would look no further than Weightman as early as in the first round, but he could also slide just outside of the first 25-odd picks.
STRENGTHS:
X-factor
Goal sense
Vertical leap
Footy IQ
Aggression
IMPROVEMENTS:
Consistency
Versatility

Source: AFL Draft Central

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I will match that.

Jeremias Could you work out my new draft picks, thanks.

Pick 15 Hawthorn - Finn Maginness

187cm 80kg Sandringham

Father son pick who will almost definitely get picked up on a bid after the first pick.

A lot of work require to be AFL quality, while he is a good user of the ball and can kick a goal, but he isn’t an accumulator and gets caught holding the ball frequently.

But there is great potential there and plenty of reason for Hawthorn supporter to be excited about.

Wickzki sorry for the quick one
Mate, I'm the poor sap that's doing that! :p

You give up picks 30 & 42

You gain picks 15 & 62

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Let's keep this moving.
Pick 17. Brisbane Lions select Trent Rivers.
Bio quoted from AFL Draft Central
"30/07/2001 | 188cm/83kg | Defender/Midfielder
EAST FREMANTLE/WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Described as Class with a capital ‘C’, Rivers is an underrated prospect with few flaws in his game. He moves well, wins the ball on the outside, can create from half-back, and also get forward and have an impact there. He could well be Western Australia’s first player picked in this year’s AFL Draft, and is one who can play from early on in his AFL career and certainly make his teammates look better with his smarts and skill."

Almost the great unknown of the draft, what is his ceiling? Could have very serious upside as a midfielder or simply be a very good role player at the next level. Tossed up with a genuine midfielder I have a high regard for, but got the gig on the back of versatility. With Hodge and soon Rich vacating the backline, projects at a great size, skilful and creative. Could play early off half back and either find his niche or graduate to the midfield as he develops his game.

Blugazi back to you

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's keep this moving.
Described as Class with a capital ‘C’, Rivers is an underrated prospect with few flaws in his game. He moves well, wins the ball on the outside, can create from half-back, and also get forward and have an impact there. He could well be Western Australia’s first player picked in this year’s AFL Draft, and is one who can play from early on in his AFL career and certainly make his teammates look better with his smarts and skill."

Almost the great unknown of the draft, what is his ceiling? Could have very serious upside as a midfielder or simply be a very good role player at the next level. Tossed up with a genuine midfielder I have a high regard for, but got the gig on the back of versatility. With Hodge and soon Rich vacating the backline, projects at a great size, skilful and creative. Could play early off half back and either find his niche or graduate to the midfield as he develops his game.

Blugazi back to you

#stealofthedraft

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Let's keep this moving.

Blugazi back to you
Good write-up, but from what little I've seen his strength after contact and acceleration are sometimes a bit wayward. I defer to people who've watched him closely over multiple seasons as to whether that's related to his glandular fever issues through the pre-season or if it's something that holds him back from greater midfield impact.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Knightmare rates him very highly. Just FYI.

KM does amazing work, enjoy his write ups

I don't agree with many of his comparisons or ratings at times

Many get info from clubs, as to whi they are looking to draft, especially the like of Twomey, which sways their ratings

KM does amazing work, enjoy his write ups

I don't agree with many of his comparisons or ratings at times

Many get info from clubs, as to whi they are looking to draft, especially the like of Twomey, which sways their ratings

Yeah, to be fair, this is accurate. I think KM isn't as good as what he was a couple of years ago. He also has a habit of getting super high over a particular talent that never gets drafted (or barely scrapes in) and then doesn't understand why.

He also tends to overrate the Pies draftees even if he wasn't as high on them before the draft.

Back